Shopping *DONE*, new guitar on the way from the US

FineLine

• Members

...will post better pics & the blow by blow tomorrow when she arrives.

For now suffice it to say that:

- Music123 had the best deal & service (and a custom shop tech to deal with directly)

- shipping to Canada is cheaper than I thought it would be, used over night service

- team Canada does not charge duty on guitars anymore

- team Canada charges GST & PST taxes (15%)

- brokerage fees (let you know tomorrow) were less than I though they would be

- the exchange rate is best it's been for a loooong time!

- we won't even talk about that unnamed brown vehicled parcel service. Man I am just crossin my fingers to the point that I'm white knuckling it (lol).

If a Canadian wants to buy a Dean guitar ...go direct through a dealer in the states.

Canadian dealers I found are greedy to the tune of the difference between $3999.CDN & $2100.CDN (which I paid).

...see attached web site pic of the actual guitar ...Dean Z Time Capsule (tigereye flame)!

Oh hey BTW ...the best part ...I saved me bones for this axe for a while. It took some effort with house, child, car blah blah blah. But now I have the money free & clear from all responsibility past and future.

...but my {censored}ing AWESOME and smolderingly gorgeous (no exaggeration dudes, inside & out) wife decided to pitch in some *significant* bread as a gift!!

She's the only woman close to me to have really *really* supported my love of music. She's been kickin my ass to buy the axe ...and she pushes me out the door on Fri & Sat nights to go play.

Do not ask me how I deserve anything more than her love.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

cool man, congrats, if youre ever playing any shows localy with it, let me know, I'll come out to see:)

...will do for sure Alchemist!

For now it is woodshedding & recording (more on that in January).

BTW I neglected to thank you & Armitage for your interest and input. I appreciate it very much guys. Thanks!!

• Members

no problem, its great that you found what you liked, I've been lucky too, picked up another gibson, natural burst 2005 sg standard, looking at picking up another amp soon:), good to know that shipping was no hassle for you, as this opens up more doors for me as far as products I can get:D

• Members

Whoa ...smell the G.A.S. in this room!! Phew!

Congrats yourself ...and keep your eyes peeled on RetroTown Music, I've seen some nice amps fly through there lately.

And if you're lucky, you will find some really nice used amps at Long & McQuade too (at the back) for a semi-reduced price.

Good luck amp shopping.

• Members

Originally posted by gabi

just curious

how much did you have to pay that wasn't paying for the guitar?

ie. shipping, brokerage

(in CDN funds)

- to clear customs $65.00

- $7.60 insurance

- $229.00 to ship overnight, based on 35 lb oversized package

- brokerage fees so far $32.00 plus a percentage, will know this today, is based on value, total should be under $300.

Further, I could have picked up the axe at the border and saved brokerage fee. But I couldn't afford the couple of hours drive.

• Members

Originally posted by FineLine

(in CDN funds)

- $7.60 insurance

- brokerage fees so far $32.00 plus a percentage, will know this today, is based on value, total should be under $300.

Further, I could have picked up the axe at the border and saved brokerage fee. But I couldn't afford the couple of hours drive.

i c, so since the shipping and clearing customs is a flat ratem, its probably worth it if your buying a more expensive guitar then

• Members

Originally posted by gabi

i c, so since the shipping and clearing customs is a flat ratem, its probably worth it if your buying a more expensive guitar then

...my thoughts exactly ...I just *never* thought it would be possible to buy cheaper from the states ...had to get over that. Further it really opened my eyes to dealer greed.

• Members

(Update #1)

...saw that the shipment made it to the depot here in Ottawa (10 minutes from my house) today by freakin 10AM EST.

However the shippers had too many copies of the packing slip, and not enough copies of the *invoice* (a key piece of documentation) ...and the value of the shipment was not indicated on the stupid Fed Ex Airway bill ...so it was shipped back to Indiana (choke)

:cry:

...oh well ...tomorrow

Oh yeah, if you ship via Fed Ex there are no brokerage fees ...just a bit more expensive than UPS.

• Members

(in CDN funds)

- $7.60 insurance

Wow! Did you have to overnight it?

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

Wow! Did you have to overnight it?

LOL

No. Totally unnecessary, however I figured, if my wife was now chipping in ...why not be crazy & impatient for once.

Seriously, I am never this loosy-goosy with money.

• Members

I made a pretty big impulse buy on the internet a week and a half ago. I bought an American Strat (HSS) and a Vox AD50VT amp. I had no intention of buying anything. It was 1:00 AM and I was surfing the Fender website. An hour later I placed an order with MusiciansBuy.com.

I got the guitar last night. It's outstanding. I should get the amp in another week.

I never make purchases like that. So I can understand your decision.

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

I made a pretty big impulse buy on the internet a week and a half ago. I bought an American Strat (HSS) and a Vox AD50VT amp. I had no intention of buying anything. It was 1:00 AM and I was surfing the Fender website. An hour later I placed an order with MusiciansBuy.com.

I got the guitar last night. It's outstanding. I should get the amp in another week.

I never make purchases like that. So I can understand your decision.

...excellent! Sounds like everything arrived in one piece, and you were satisfied. That is very reassuring. Thx man.

Right now I am pretty anxious. I've read (as you & everyone has) plenty about the horror stories :eek:

(((((please do a good job, do a good job, do a good job)))))

• Members

Originally posted by warriorxtman

Wonder why his wife pushes him out the door every Friday and Saturday night?
:(
One of these times tell her you're going an hour away, won't be back for 4 hours. Then come home in half an hour......

LOL

I knew that would come up!

Maybe "pushes me out the door" was the wrong way to illustrate it. Yer right. sounds negative.

To give you a better idea, she is the kind of girl that likes having music & instruments around & tunes going (me too!) ...like hearing the guys in the basement ...and she has great tase in tunes too!

...and she is slowly starting to appreciate some Priest, Maiden, old Ozzy, old Metallica, and even a little early Ratt (yes I said it, RATT!) :)

• Members

...excellent! Sounds like everything arrived in one piece, and you were satisfied. That is very reassuring. Thx man.

Right now I am pretty anxious. I've read (as you & everyone has) plenty about the horror stories
:eek:

I was a little nervous yesterday waiting for UPS to deliver it. It was around 9 degrees with the wind chill. The guitar was shipped 6 days earlier from the Fender plant in California to my house in Michigan. I was afraid that the cold weather and UPS handling (6 days in a truck!) would damage it.

I let the box warm up to room temperature (about 4 hours!). It was nearly perfect. The intonation (after tuning it slightly) was off a touch on the low E. It was perfect on the other 5 strings. The action is nice and low with no fret buzz. The neck is nice and smooth with excellent fret work. The finish is flawless. The sieenna sunburst finish is over ash rather than alder.

It looks and sounds great. I played it for nearly an hour WITHOUT plugging it into an amp. It comes with an S1 pickup switching button. It allows 8 different pickup combinations. The humbucker gets a nice classic rock/metal sound (for a Strat). The single coil Tex-Mex neck pickups give it that traditional Strat tone. Perfect for SRV, Clapton and Hendrix.

The sad thing is I got bored with my old electric gear almost a year ago. I also got sick of messing with effects. I sold my electric guitars and my amps on Ebay. I spent the last 10 months playing acoustic. Honestly, I planned to wait until March or April to explore purchasing another electric guitar and amp. Since I don't have my amp yet, I was forced to borrow my friends Marshall 10 watt practice amp. The amp sounds half way decent through headphones. I can't wait until the Vox get's here. I played through one a couple months ago at Guitar Center. It's a pretty decent modeling amp for the money.

I almost bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but I knew it would lead to a bunch of guitar effects (just like in the past). Effects slow me down. I spend more time messing with them than I do playing. That's why I bought a modeling amp. I can get a variety of amp sounds without a dozen pedals all over the floor. LOL

I've been playing guitar for 21 years. Nothing is more inspiring than a new guitar.

Archived