Shopping *DONE*, new guitar on the way from the US

FineLine

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

I was a little nervous yesterday waiting for UPS to deliver it. It was around 9 degrees with the wind chill. The guitar was shipped 6 days earlier from the Fender plant in California to my house in Michigan. I was afraid that the cold weather and UPS handling (6 days in a truck!) would damage it.

I let the box warm up to room temperature (about 4 hours!). It was nearly perfect. The intonation (after tuning it slightly) was off a touch on the low E. It was perfect on the other 5 strings. The action is nice and low with no fret buzz. The neck is nice and smooth with excellent fret work. The finish is flawless. The sieenna sunburst finish is over ash rather than alder.

It looks and sounds great. I played it for nearly an hour WITHOUT plugging it into an amp. It comes with an S1 pickup switching button. It allows 8 different pickup combinations. The humbucker gets a nice classic rock/metal sound (for a Strat). The single coil Tex-Mex neck pickups give it that traditional Strat tone. Perfect for SRV, Clapton and Hendrix.

The sad thing is I got bored with my old electric gear almost a year ago. I also got sick of messing with effects. I sold my electric guitars and my amps on Ebay. I spent the last 10 months playing acoustic. Honestly, I planned to wait until March or April to explore purchasing another electric guitar and amp. Since I don't have my amp yet, I was forced to borrow my friends Marshall 10 watt practice amp. The amp sounds half way decent through headphones. I can't wait until the Vox get's here. I played through one a couple months ago at Guitar Center. It's a pretty decent modeling amp for the money.

I almost bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but I knew it would lead to a bunch of guitar effects (just like in the past). Effects slow me down. I spend more time messing with them than I do playing. That's why I bought a modeling amp. I can get a variety of amp sounds without a dozen pedals all over the floor. LOL

I've been playing guitar for 21 years. Nothing is more inspiring than a new guitar.

...letting your axe warm up slowly after that trek was a real good idea.

IMHO it will take a few days to settle down.

Nice pic btw ...and I heard good things about those voxs

• Members

Originally posted by FineLine

(Update #1)

...saw that the shipment made it to the depot here in Ottawa (10 minutes from my house) today by freakin 10AM EST.

However the shippers had too many copies of the packing slip, and not enough copies of the *invoice* (a key piece of documentation) ...and the value of the shipment was not indicated on the stupid Fed Ex Airway bill ...so it was shipped back to Indiana (choke)

:cry:

...oh well ...tomorrow

Oh yeah, if you ship via Fed Ex there are no brokerage fees ...just a bit more expensive than UPS.

If that's the case you might want to raise a stink with the shipper about the shipping cost. An extra day added to the shipping because of a mess up on their part when you have just paid 229 for overnight.

A similar thng happened to me with USPS overnight a while back and they refunded the postage because it exceeded their guaranteed delivery time. I'm not sure abut FedEx policy.

• Members

...letting your axe warm up slowly after that trek was a real good idea.

IMHO it will take a few days to settle down.

Nice pic btw ...and I heard good things about those voxs

Hey check out this website. It's ran by one of your Canadian brothers. He has a bunch of video clips of him trying out the Vox AD50VT. His name is Robert Renman. He has a cool website.

Vox AD50VT Review / Samples

• Members

Originally posted by scoutll

If that's the case you might want to raise a stink with the shipper about the shipping cost. An extra day added to the shipping because of a mess up on their part when you have just paid 229 for overnight.

A similar thng happened to me with USPS overnight a while back and they refunded the postage because it exceeded their guaranteed delivery time. I'm not sure abut FedEx policy.

...Music123 told me right off the bat not to worry about it. Cool!

We'll see how it unfolds.

• Members

I had a guitar shipped 2nd day air from Music123. I got it a couple days late. They gave me a refund for the difference between standard shipping and 2nd day air.

• Members

That's great to hear. No fun to know the guitar was just a short distance away and you can't get your hands on it.

• Members

Originally posted by scoutll

That's great to hear. No fun to know the guitar was just a short distance away and you can't get your hands on it.

...exactly ...let's see how it goes this morning!! {censored}in 'eh it's a beautiful day!

If yesterday was any indication, Fed Ex should arrive before noon.

...then it will be a few hours of staring at a guitar case while it aclimatizes (whoa, that spelled correctly?) :freak:

• Members

...no shipment today ...Music123 decided to use a slower shipping method this time ...as opposed to what was discussed & agreed upon. (Grrr!)

This is where I start having issues with people and their {censored}in no-mindedness vs instructions. "...yeah yeah yeah no problem...".

(cooling my jets now, it's not that big a deal)

Should arrive by tomorrow I am told.

:freak:

Archived