Hondo II Professional...

jsb357

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I realize its been awhile since the original post. However, I have been playing guitar for about 20 years now. My last guitar purchase was earlier this year, (a new acustic/electric Taylor 810 CE). So why am I posting? I have been shopping for a new fender american strat. I have probably played no less than 50 in the last 2 months(american, mexican) at guitar center, sam ash, etc. so yesterday, i walk into guitar center, and there is an old late vintage late 70's make "hondo II professional" with "made in japan" on the headstock. its a sunburst strat copy with 3 single coil pu's, and a maple neck probably taken in on trade. so i say what the heck, and plug it into a vox ad100 valvetronics (the exact amp i own). the guitar was incredible, the tone, action, feel, tuners, all just like a vintage early 70's american fender. I actully couldn't believe it. so i hang the hondo back on the hanger and take down a brand new american made strat for $999 and play it (candy apple red body, black headstock with the steel rollers on the nut and a push button tone knob, you know the one). hands down, the new american strat couldn't hold a candle to the late 70's hondo strat copy, kid you not. i understand its just my opinion, but if you ever see one of the older, made in japan hondo ii's, give it a try, you wont be disappointed. So i bought the hondo, on the spot for $200 (they were asking $250). I am one happy camper because I was very close to ordering a new american hardtail strat thru fender. that is all on hold for now.

peace, rich.

• Members

With this sort of guitar, you have to play it before you buy it. I think Hondo made a few good guitars in the late 70's - early 80's, they had some sort of high end series.. My first electric guitar was a Hondo, it's still in my garage I think. That guitar was total crap. But it was bought new in the early 90's.

• Members

Hondo's were kindling wood back in the 70's, and they're still kindling wood today. I wouldn't make any effort whatsoever to acquire one.

Wow, "Hondo" and "Professional" appearing back-to-back...there's something wrong with that picture.

:freak:

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by rbuono

My second bass was a Hondo II - bought in the 1979 timeframe - it was crap - after about 4 years the neck twisted - but it got me started.

I also own an old Hondo bass...bought it used off ebay, and the neck is now warped.

• Members

I had a Hondo "The Paul" copy. A close friend also had the same guitar. You couldn't set the damn thing up to save your life because Hondo installed the faux TOM wrong and the intonation would NEVER be on. I left it in the garbage one day. It was taken away. The next week, I found it back on my front lawn - the garbage men wouldn't even take it!!!

• Members

I had what i think was a hondo a few years ago, I remember the headstock said "Formula 1" or somthing..i think it was a series that hondo had. It was a BC rich Bich copy in candy apple red, set neck with a Kahler tremolo. I really loved that thing, but i ended up cracking the neck joint on one night we got too rowdy. sold it to a buddy of mine for the same price i bought it for.

Archived