What can i use to remove Oxidation from guitar hardware??

thriftyshirt

• Members

I used Brasso on the humbucker covers on my Agile and it worked fine. Some people don't realize the versitility of Brasso. You can also use it to polish plastic parts also. Just go easy on it and use several applications.

BTW, I haven't seen you on here in awhile, but wanted to tell you I'm really liking the songs on your band's website. I downloaded the 3 MP3s and have them on my iPod in regular rotation. When are you guys getting the album out? I think Rotten Apple would go over well on the radio. I fact there's a song I heard recently on the radio that has a similar sound, and the first thing I thought was that it sounded like Rotten Apple. I can't for the life of me remember who it was now. Anyway, hope to get a chance to see you play live one of these days. Best of luck to ya'll

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

you have no idea.

thick gritty haze on virtually every piece of exposed metal...

ah, that bad......

I assumed you meant slightly tarnished like my Explorer hardware.....

In that case, I guess something more abrasive, like car stuff. Sure there's a product for cleaning rims...

• Members

Originally posted by BAMALI

I used Brasso on the humbucker covers on my Agile and it worked fine. Some people don't realize the versitility of Brasso. You can also use it to polish plastic parts also. Just go easy on it and use several applications.

BTW, I haven't seen you on here in awhile, but wanted to tell you I'm really liking the songs on your band's website. I downloaded the 3 MP3s and have them on my iPod in regular rotation. When are you guys getting the album out? I think Rotten Apple would go over well on the radio. I fact there's a song I heard recently on the radio that has a similar sound, and the first thing I thought was that it sounded like Rotten Apple. I can't for the life of me remember who it was now. Anyway, hope to get a chance to see you play live one of these days. Best of luck to ya'll

Hey man, I really appreciate it.

The album is coming out as soon as we either get ourselves out of our collective financial holes and can afford to have it pressed, or when we work through the contract negotiations we're dealing with with the label that wan't to sign us. Neither will happen until Spring at least...

So we may be coming up through AL on tour sometime early summer or late spring, i'll make sure to look you up..

• Members

Originally posted by paradisel0st

Well there's also this stuff called neverdull (i think that's what it's called). It's basically exactly like the x-treem stuff just a little stronger. I used it to polish my frets up and it worked real well. I think walmart stocks it.

This is an excellent suggestion. What this stuff is--is a cotton wad (a roll really) just like a Q-Tip. It is imprenated with a solution that works great on all metals. You just tear a piece off and use it--you can even re-use the piece often times.

I prefer it to some of the polishes because some are too abrasive and will strip the chrome, black, or gold finish from hardware. In other words-- some products rely on abrasion, while others rely on chemicals.

PaulS

• Members

Ritchie Fliegler's "Guitar And Amp Maintenance" book says to take the oxidized parts put the parts in a jar of naptha(lighter fluid), shake the jar a bit and leave the parts in the jar for awhile. Take the parts out of the jar and use an old toothbrush to clean the loose oxidation off. Although you may not get all of the crap off,there will be a marked improvement in the appearance of the pieces.

• Members

Originally posted by PaulSter

This is an excellent suggestion. What this stuff is--is a cotton wad (a roll really) just like a Q-Tip. It is imprenated with a solution that works great on all metals. You just tear a piece off and use it--you can even re-use the piece often times.

I prefer it to some of the polishes because some are too abrasive and will strip the chrome, black, or gold finish from hardware. In other words-- some products rely on abrasion, while others rely on chemicals.

PaulS

I love Nevr-dull. You can get it at most any auto parts store as well. If they haven't changed the can, it's a silver and black can. I showed my dad what it would do to the dirtiest penny in his pocket and he was blown away:D

I also believe it takes care of rust to answer Sparky's q

I think it runs about $4-$5 a can that will last nearly forever

• Members

Nevr-Dull can be pretty aggressive; that can be good or bad.

Something like Happich Simi-Chrom is safer, and will usually polish ANYTHING as well as it can be polished. I use it on everything from my hand-made knives to frets.

Not cheap, but a tube lasts forever.

Larry

• Members

Originally posted by JimiPage

I have corroded/rusted frets, will Nevr-dull fix this without damaging the wood, or do I have to remove the frets?

Use 000 Steel wool with masking tape over the rosewood or maple fretboard. Rub the fret wire until smooth and shiny. Remove the masking tape from the fretboard. I do this all the time.

• Members

Originally posted by 70 Cam Guy

I love Nevr-dull. You can get it at most any auto parts store as well. If they haven't changed the can, it's a silver and black can. I showed my dad what it would do to the dirtiest penny in his pocket and he was blown away:D

I also believe it takes care of rust to answer Sparky's q

I think it runs about $4-$5 a can that will last nearly forever

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

:thu:

just so I'm covering my own butt, make sure you try it on something inconspicuous before you go full speed into your guitar's hardware :)

I am remembering now I used it on my motorcycle forks to get the little rust spots off. It also cleaned the rust spots on the frame.

• Members

Originally posted by Chris Gansz

Use 000 Steel wool with masking tape over the rosewood or maple fretboard. Rub the fret wire until smooth and shiny. Remove the masking tape from the fretboard. I do this all the time.

you could even do that without the masking tape, and clean all the crap off your board at the same time.

Archived