Guitar Fetish Parts

Trick Fall

• Members

Tried to do a search on this, but the search kept crashing on me.....anyway.

I'm having a custom guitar built by my brother-in-law who is turning in to quite the luthier. He's going to make me a Telecaster Deluxe with two P-90's. I already have a Duncan P-90 for the bridge and was thinking of picking up a guitar fetish P-90 for the neck. I was also thinking of getting their telecaster bridge, tuners and their "les paul" wiring kit and was wondering if their parts were good, or if I should spring for some higher end stuff.

Thanks

• Members

I've heard some good and bad things about GFS stuff.

The Dream 90 pickups are supposed to be a strat single coil in a P90 package, but some people love em!

I have also heard very bad reviews on their hardware stuff like bridges and the like.

Personally I never skimp on hardware :D

• Members

Originally posted by USA Guitarman

I've heard some good and bad things about GFS stuff.

The Dream 90 pickups are supposed to be a strat single coil in a P90 package, but some people love em!

I have also heard very bad reviews on their hardware stuff like bridges and the like.

Personally I never skimp on hardware
:D

I've got 2 of GFS' P90's sitting in front of me as I type this and they are most definately not a strat single coil in a P90 cover. Since you have no hands on experience with the parts in question I fail to see your need to interject your "hearsay".

To the OP, I just recently put 2 of GFS p90's in my project SG. The GFS were replacements for a pair of Duncan's that developed issues. The GFS are awesome in my guitar, and honestly I was shocked they are at least as good in their performance as the Duncan's.

I also used one of his LP wiring kits on this project and the pots and switch are of very nice quality. The caps aren't so great, so I also picked up a couple of the orange drop caps when I was placing my order.

• Members

Wow I was about to make a thread,lol.

I've been wondering too..because for x-mas i want to spice up my fatstrat..and I've been looking at these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/dr180vihuwhp.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pehsshupifiu.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/blwivitrpoar.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/costupelcoki.html

Help me out to make me a happy kid during X-mas. :D

• Members

Originally posted by USA Guitarman

Probably from one person who had multiple screen names here who had a personal vendetta against Guitar Fetish over their auction return policies. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by nevermind

I've got 2 of GFS' P90's sitting in front of me as I type this and they are most definately not a strat single coil in a P90 cover. Since you have no hands on experience with the parts in question I fail to see your need to interject your "hearsay".

To the OP, I just recently put 2 of GFS p90's in my project SG. The GFS were replacements for a pair of Duncan's that developed issues. The GFS are awesome in my guitar, and honestly I was shocked they are at least as good in their performance as the Duncan's.

I also used one of his LP wiring kits on this project and the pots and switch are of very nice quality. The caps aren't so great, so I also picked up a couple of the orange drop caps when I was placing my order.

A thread on PuPs at TGP

I almost got a GFS Dream 90, but found out it wasn't a true p-90 size at all, but only a little strat-size pickup jammed into a humbucking case. Eck.

I have a Dream90 in the neck of my Triple-Threat-Tele (with 2 KA P90s) and while it sounds great I must admit it reminds me of a fat strat PuP more than a P90...

Perhaps the GFS guy can clarify if the rumour (I've read it also on other forums) is true?

:confused::freak:

• Members

Originally posted by TaZMaNiO

I almost got a GFS Dream 90, but found out it wasn't a true p-90 size at all, but only a little strat-size pickup jammed into a humbucking case. Eck.

I just looked at my SD Jazz pickup and discovered that it's two Strat single coils strapped together. What's up with that? :confused::freak::rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by bgmacaw

I just looked at my SD Jazz pickup and discovered that it's two Strat single coils strapped together. What's up with that?
:confused::freak::rolleyes:

If you don't see the significance of stuffing a Strat PuP into a humbucker housing and selling it as a P90 type, I don't think you'd notice the difference anyways...

BTW, I didn't start the rumour nor have I taken my Dream90s apart, I'm just showing that there are guitarists on at least one other reputable forum that have.

I also read it on a Tele forum I frequent, but haven't piled through the tons of posts there to find it yet...

:wave:

• Members

A thread on PuPs at TGP

I have a Dream90 in the neck of my Triple-Threat-Tele (with 2 KA P90s) and while it sounds great I must admit it reminds me of a fat strat PuP more than a P90...

Perhaps the GFS guy can clarify if the rumour (I've read it also on other forums) is true?

:confused::freak:

Again, I'm not quite sure why the Dream 90 is automatically assumed to be the pup the thread starter was asking about. Since he didn't ask about HB sized P90's I am led to believe he's not even considering a Dream 90. As I read the question he is looking for SOAPBARS. If that's not tha case then he should ignore my first post because I have no experience with the Dream90.

• Members

OK I'l bite-

The Dream 90 is most definitey NOT a strat pickup in a humbucker shell.

While the bobbin is basically the same size as one coil of a humbucker- there are a couple of tricks thrown in to give the pickup more of the "tough" and "raunchy" P90 tone, rather than a thin and clean strat sound. Those who own them and have compared them to the Kent Armstrongs and to the Phat Cats can speak more to the tonal differences.

On hardware- certainly the stuff we sell is all based on value- Trying to deliver really good quality for, in many cases, below dealer cost pricing. If you have the funds by all means look for the best stuff you can find- the excellent Callaham, Vintique and even some of the Gotoh stuff. However your project can rapidly become MORE expensive than just buying a good new USA strat or tele. And frankly I haven't heard a guitar sound an awful lot better with a "Boutique" steel tele bridge vs one of mine.

Most of our parts are custom built, in many cases based upon mods that we have commissioned and own. We've certainly sold a ridiculous quantity of most of this stuff and have a suitcase full of photos from happy customers.

Yes- one guy bought a bridge from an ebay auction, did not have the proper tailpiece downforce to make it work, refused to let us work it out for him, and them badmouthed us online. Everything purchased from the Guitarfetish site is 100% returnable if not suitable.

If you have any more questions just email me through the site and I'll give you the best answer I can- I'm a player first...

Jay

• Members

If you have any more questions just email me through the site and I'll give you the best answer I can- I'm a player first...

Jay

Sounds good to me. BTW, have you gotten more of the Tele/Hardtail Strat bridges in? When I was working up my order they didn't seem to be in stock.

thanks

• Members

If you don't see the significance of stuffing a Strat PuP into a humbucker housing and selling it as a P90 type, I don't think you'd notice the difference anyways...

The thing is that someone just glancing at a SD Jazz would see two single coil pickups strapped together, not necesarily how it was specifically designed to prevent hum nor the winding design that gave it it's tone. For a single coil like the Dream 90 they would see, surprise, a single coil. They probably wouldn't take it apart further enough to reverse engineer it.

• Members

I ordered and installed a Dream 180 and another pickup (the HB sized Dearmond type)... in an epiphone Les Paul for the other guitarist in my band. They are well made and sound great. I have nothing but good things to say about GFS, and I would not hesitate to buy from them again. Beyond that, I could really care less how the pickups are engineered. They are cheap, well made, and sound as advertised. I dont see why anyone would complain.

• Members

Originally posted by Guitarfetish

OK I'l bite-

The Dream 90 is most definitey NOT a strat pickup in a humbucker shell.

While the bobbin is basically the same size as one coil of a humbucker- there are a couple of tricks thrown in to give the pickup more of the "tough" and "raunchy" P90 tone, rather than a thin and clean strat sound. Those who own them and have compared them to the Kent Armstrongs and to the Phat Cats can speak more to the tonal differences.

In other words it is a single-coil bobbin, not a P90 bobbin in a humbucker case - just as rumoured...

Thanks for the clarification, I like the Dream 90 I got as a tester on EBay for $20...it works for the app I'm using it on.

I wouldn't compare it to Kent Armstrong, Seymour Duncan though, which I do own and use extensively, KA-P90s/PhatCats have a LOT more P90 vibe going on probably due to actually having P90 type bobbins under the hood ;)

My favorite P-90 in a humbucker housing is Fralin's old design, which he stills makes on special order :cool:

• Members

In other words it is a single-coil bobbin, not a P90 bobbin in a humbucker case - Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the clarification, I like the Dream 90 I got as a tester on EBay for $20...it works for the app I'm using it on.

I wouldn't compare it to Kent Armstrong, Seymour Duncan though, which I do own and use extensively, KA-P90s/PhatCats have a LOT more P90 vibe going on probably due to actually having P90 type bobbins under the hood
;)

My favorite P-90 in a humbucker housing is Fralin's old design, which he stills makes on special order
:cool:

I've actually heard that same rumor about the HB-sized KA P-90. Never tore one apart personally.

Archived