Been Working My Ass off!! Wrote 9 new songs in the past couple weeks!

sventvkg

• Members

I've been putting in the work BIG time and it's just so thoroughly satisfying! I just did some really {censored}ty lofi vids recorded straight into the camera and mic on my macbook pro. This is how I like to demo these days because it's fast! Honker notes and all..I don't care. I throw all my {censored}ty demo {censored} up on youtube even though i'm usually not in voice etc because it's a showcase of the songs anyway, ya know?

Anyway, I've got at least another 10-12 musical pieces and songs in progress so I'll keep chipping away but the more I do, the more new stuff I come up with as well. :thu:

• Members

Alright but here's the deal...These are NOT performances and i'm sometimes not in great voice. I'm reading lyrics off the screen, flubbing words and have many a Clam note to be heard. I do these right after I write them to get them down as a demo. I find it cooler and easier than Audio recording into Garageband. So, Don't judge my {censored} ass performances. There are other vids of me performing..Mostly these are low fi vids to demo my new songs and they change a little as well. So if ya wanna check em out here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/seanmormelo?feature=mhum

I have other stuff that's studio quality etc etc but I'm just doing raw stuff for songwriting.

• Members

Sean, I just listened to "All I Can Give You Is My Name" and "Days of Night." I think they're very good. They're definitely radio friendly and could be worked to be country, folk, rock, etc. You could sell these songs, or you perform them yourself. I dig your voice and it fits the material. The guitar playing is a bit rough but like you said these are just capturing ideas.

You can definitely write - no doubts about that. I can't remember if you're trying to make it as an artist or a songwriter. What's your next step for these songs? Do you have your own home studio? Are you going to record them with drums/bass/etc?

I do a similar thing - If I'm working on a song and I'm afraid I might forget what I was thinking, I'll record it immediately. I use GarageBand for that - I just record one audio track and use the mic in my laptop. After seeing these though maybe I'll start doing that instead. Are you using Photobooth to do the video recordings, or something else?

• Members

Sean, I just listened to "All I Can Give You Is My Name" and "Days of Night." I think they're very good. They're definitely radio friendly and could be worked to be country, folk, rock, etc. You could sell these songs, or you perform them yourself. I dig your voice and it fits the material. The guitar playing is a bit rough but like you said these are just capturing ideas.

You can definitely write - no doubts about that. I can't remember if you're trying to make it as an artist or a songwriter. What's your next step for these songs? Do you have your own home studio? Are you going to record them with drums/bass/etc?

I do a similar thing - If I'm working on a song and I'm afraid I might forget what I was thinking, I'll record it immediately. I use GarageBand for that - I just record one audio track and use the mic in my laptop. After seeing these though maybe I'll start doing that instead. Are you using Photobooth to do the video recordings, or something else?

Richard, thanks for listening..I have more polished stuff on Bandcamp, my website, CDbaby and all over the web. Just have to google my name and tons come up.. Stuff where you can actually hear my playing and singing but for these demo's I'm just trying to get the songs down, flubbing chords, notes, and lyrics..Such is life.

So i'm working on a couple albums now, one a full production thing and some ongoing acoustic based recording for a series of acoustic EP's..Some of these demo songs may end up fully produced with Drums, bass, keys, etc, and some might just end up acoustic and vocal but all will end up demo's more professionally. As far as what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to get songs that I write and co-write, published and placed with artists, licensed etc. After I have some success with that hopefully that can lead to producing and co-writing with artists. That's my goal along with still having a small artist thing where I can go out on my own a couple months a year and tour in this country as well as others. I do some sideman stuff as well and want to continue that. All in all, as long as it's creative and based on my music or music i'm involved in creating i'm game!

Right now i'm using Quicktime Pro but I think the latest version now includes the pro features that let you record audio or Audi/Video. I launch it, set my input preferences and record! Photobooth records the video flipped around so it looks like i'm playing guitar Lefty and although you can fix this when taking pictures I haven't found a way to change that when recording video. I too used to use Garageband to do demo's but the video thing and Youtube is just as easy and video's are where it's at to get feedback. Even lofi ones..I think people are more visual plus Youtube is so huge that getting stuff up there is cool.

I do have a studio, Pro Tools, Logic, Great River Pre's Apogee, Nice mics, etc etc..But I haven't set it fully up yet since we moved and I plan on getting more acoustic treatment in the next couple months and having it set up so I can record and Mix the Acoustic albums there....

If you want to hear workmixes of my new album you check out my Bandcamp Here. All the vocals, acoustic guitars and the keys(besides Goodbye LA) are scratch..I laid the vocals mostly at the board while I was recording the basic tracks...I only have the tracks up to share with the musicians but what the hell you can check out the progress.

My last album was call Troubadour and it's Here if ya wanna check it out. Been since 04 though and the writing has changed a bunch and progressed I believe.

http://seanmormelo.bandcamp.com/album/troubadour

• Members

I saw your stuff and sure enough it is good. The song writing is great and very country. I know if someone like Reba sang those songs how they would shine.

I've seen a LOT of indie stuff and your stuff is amongst the top. The hard thing about country is the cleverness in the lyrics and hooks. Yours seem to be up to that standard.

It would be great to find a pop female to sing one of your songs. I know I can make the track for any of them, but finding the artist willing to record would be impossible. The performer would showcase your songs much better..

• Members

I saw your stuff and sure enough it is good. The song writing is great and very country. I know if someone like Reba sang those songs how they would shine.

I've seen a LOT of indie stuff and your stuff is amongst the top. The hard thing about country is the cleverness in the lyrics and hooks. Yours seem to be up to that standard.

It would be great to find a pop female to sing one of your songs. I know I can make the track for any of them, but finding the artist willing to record would be impossible. The performer would showcase your songs much better..

Thanks Mike. I appreciate you taking the time to check out my tunes man. I'm certainly down with a good female doing some of my tunes. I know a few and I plan on getting a bunch demoed and produced for a female. If you ever want to do one up, and find someone to sing it, i'm game bro! Just let me know.

• Members

Thanks Mike. I appreciate you taking the time to check out my tunes man. I'm certainly down with a good female doing some of my tunes. I know a few and I plan on getting a bunch demoed and produced for a female. If you ever want to do one up, and find someone to sing it, i'm game bro! Just let me know.

Yeah what the girl will do is make your songs more appealing for 'decision makers' to like your songs. The way it works.. er used to work anyway, is there would be song writer. The label would get session singer and sing the song, and artists and other decision makers would pick the songs out.

You would write and pop'ize the song for me (as the girls I can find do not play instruments) I would make the pop track, and the artist would come in here to the studio and sing the song. I would vocal mix and make it sound pro. Then you could submit the songs to whoever. The artist can use the songs for herself in the meantime for her own resume as an artist.

The little problem is finding an artist. Here is the type of local artist that could sing your songs http://www.youtube.com/user/DahliaFernandes

She is nothing compared to the 16 year old from the other post, but she would be able to sing the song. The problem is, she won't record with me or be willing to take part in the project. I already tried her (as well as MANY other artists) I have the studio here, a $1000 mic setup, but finding artists with a positive attitude who want to work on projects is almost impossible. They only want to sign dotted lines for a major label. Anything less they don't want to mess with. They don't understand the music industry AT ALL. Trust me.

Actually, there IS a local 16 year old who sounds game to record. But wow 16 is real young and I'm not sure her parents would like their daughter in my basement. I'm asking for trouble messing with her and her parents. She does have that teen sound though. Yeah if she sang your songs, they would come out like roses. After the vocal mix we'd all be surprised I'm sure.

• Members

Yea man I hear ya. If I did these in the studio with a couple weeks of singing practice to get my voice in shape from not gigging, I could do them really nice justice. You can hear real singing on my CD..But I also have some really killer female singers around here that could do it as well. It sucks that you're having trouble finding good artists to work with you on spec. If you were in Nashville it would be easy to find someone to help develop I would think. I'm actually moving toward that myself from a production standpoint. Find some good artists that I can write for and produce and work toward a deal. That's part of my overall 10 year plan.

• Members

Hey Sean, I never asked you - are you a member of Taxi? Not to spin this into YATT (yet another Taxi thread) but I'd be curious about your opinion of Taxi. I keep debating whether I should try it.

Honestly, I haven't tried it yet but I'm planning on joining probably by the fall. You see, I have about 60 songs to get decently demoed with a quality vocal and at least acoustic, never mind some that need a fuller arrangement. It's an overwhelming amount of work on top of my regular writing and recording, and I need decent recordings to submit to Taxi.

I only know a few people who have tried it and they didn't meet with much success however, I will start asking around among the songwriters here in Nashville and get some opinions from good writers. I'll report my findings here when I get them.

Archived