stuff you couldn't live without while recording

• Members

okay "engineers". let's get to an important matter at hand. while you're in a session with a band or artist or whatever the hell you do, what is the most important thing to you that has nothing to do with the recording process, yet you wouldn't be able to record without?

1) i keep a coffee maker outside the control room, in the hall, and there's usually about 3 pounds of coffee right next to it. when we get down to 2 pounds, i send someone out to get more. right next to the console/desk i typically have a small night table (haven't moved one into the new room yet, which is what prompted this post) where I keep the pot, half and half, sugar, and mugs. i often reach for this stuff moreso than any equipment when the hours get long.

2) i also couldn't live without smoke breaks. we don't have an up-to-snuff ac system to smoke in the studio, so we've got two lounges. one indoors separate from the control room, and one outside, which is a rooftop view of the NYC skyline (and is awesome). i definitely smoke a lot less while in the studio, though. on an off day, i go through about a pack and a half to two packs, and in the studio i might smoke 10 times throughout a 12 hour session. still, i'd probably rip my, as well as someone else's hair out without it.

3) good local delivery. in new york, we have the wonderful service of deli delivery, which is more or less a place to get coffee, food, smokes, adhesive tape, glue, flashlights, and all the other stuff you absolutely need while working and don't have time to go out and get. thank you very much, long island city, for having several of these places just a few blocks away. every ethnicity possible, too. we've got italian, kosher, indian, spanish, everything. it's great.

4) TV and Computer. great for when I'm doing a week/month lockout with a band from out of town that has to live and sleep in the studio. i stay overnight with them to prevent terrible things from happening when i'm gone, and i don't exactly sleep much, if at all. so rather than stay awake diddling on a keyboard or guitar, it's good to have other forms of entertainment while the band is nested away in a damp, dark live room. sometimes they even leave the bong in the lounge, which makes TV even more entertaining.

• Members

I sit on a large exercise ball instead of a chair. I cannot begin to tell you how great this is, and how it saves my back.

Shelving. Lots of it. Storing all those CDs, and tapes and books and papers and owner's manuals and cables and mics and stuff.....I have a nice large wooden shelving unit with doors, and a closet. Invaluable.

My back yard for hanging out when I am taking a break. Lots of trees, patio, garden. Very cool.

Panasonic Massage Lounger. Nothing like getting a massage after a long recording session.

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

Those coffee presses are especially good for brewing loose tea. Way better flavor (and about twice the caffeine extraction) than bags or infusors.

I have a second one for just that. I grew up with parents that drank (loose brewed) tea as dark as my "coffee" and have a great appreciation for it, especially iced in the summer!!!!!!!

Archived