is this a bass amp?

mysterybat35

• Members

Why not? It was probably meant as 'dual purpose' type of thing. The true test for whether it's a bass amp or not is by trying it out. If it delivers a good clean bass sound,...good. If all it does is fart at normal to loud, or crap out, or even die, well, it ain't!

For Bass tones, I want the Fender Pre "boing", The Ricky "twank", the Jazz Bass thump and boom and finally and really least of all, the Hofner Beatle Bass "Thud". If the amp can do that without sounding like {censored}, then it's a bass amp.:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by mysterybat35

Hi,

I just bought a johnson reptone 15 amp. it has an overdrive button. I asked for a BASS amp but I think this may be a regular guitar amp. I'm not sure. Are bass amps supposed to have overdrives?

MB35

Closed or open back? Reverb? What does the suspension look like on the driver?

• Members

well I checked online for the Johnson JA-015 and it seems like the Bass model DOESN't have an overdrive nor a gain. It only has a "presense" control, and the regular equilization. I also found out tha the Bass model is marked as Reptone 15-B". Mine only has "reptone 15" . So I think that I have indeed gotten the wrong amp. The guy that sold it to me said it was a bass amp and when I tried it out it had quite a loud punch for a 15 watt and made the floor vibrated, but when playing my 5 string bass, the B string sounded very weak.

MB35

Archived