What do you think of Jacksons?

Tosis Maguill

• Members

Ive got a couple of Japanese Jacksons and they are some of the best built/playing guitars Ive ever owned. Way better than most of the Korean and Chinese built guitars currently flooding the market and on par with some USA made guitars as well.

• Members

I've currently own a '94 Kelly Pro, SL2 Soloist, 95 or 96 Dinky and one of the old JRR-94(Cheap Jackson). I haven't been dissapointed by a single one I've owned.

I used to own 2 Custom Rhodes V's, I sold them in moments of stupidy back in the day. I miss them to this day. And I had a really nice Dinky stolen from me awhile back.

All in all, Jackson/Charvel is a great company, I would glady endorse them.

• Members

Originally posted by Tosis Maguill

What does everybody think of Jackson guitars?

Personally, I love them to death.

The necks are fast as hell.

They just amaze me.

They sound really really good with the Seymour Duncan Invaders or the EMG's as well.

The US models will kill you they are so good. The overseas models vary a bit but are pretty good imho.

• Members

every jackson usa i've played so far was a great guitar, and that the guitars produced after the fender take over are bad , is bull{censored}.
the qualitiy is just as good now, some people work there. Nothing has changed.

I have a soloist myself, didn't come across a better guitar yet, and i'm going to pick up another one with a fixed bridge if i can find on for cheap.

• Members

from what I understand, when Fender took over Jackson, all they did was merge with them to offer better/bigger distribution and a larger pool of parts and raw materials. Jacksons are still built in the same factories and by the same people as they have always been...cept now they have more resources to work with. Fender really has no influence over there designs and production...they let them be and just fund them now basically. So basically, Jackson can build more guitars of equal or greater quality at better prices than they have in the past.

this is how I understand it anyway. besides, I owned a Warrior Xt that was post Fender-merge and it was EXCELLENT, and I regret ever have to sell it.

• Members

Originally posted by pol

every jackson usa i've played so far was a great guitar, and that the guitars produced after the fender take over are bad , is bull{censored}.

the qualitiy is just as good now, some people work there. Nothing has changed.

I have a soloist myself, didn't come across a better guitar yet, and i'm going to pick up another one with a fixed bridge if i can find on for cheap.

i've read that fender kept the same jackson crew (custom shop and otherwise) to continue the quality.

i have a jap soloist and 2 usa soloists. the jap is alright but the usa's are the best guitars i've ever played. well, that's excluding the hamer mirage i had but the soloists are faster players so they are more to my liking.

• Members

Originally posted by 50foot midget

from what I understand, when Fender took over Jackson, all they did was merge with them to offer better/bigger distribution and a larger pool of parts and raw materials. Jacksons are still built in the same factories and by the same people as they have always been...cept now they have more resources to work with. Fender really has no influence over there designs and production...they let them be and just fund them now basically. So basically, Jackson can build more guitars of equal or greater quality at better prices than they have in the past.

Sorry but totally wrong! WAY wrong.

Fender shut down the Ontario, California USA Custom Shop that had been building USA Jacksons from 1986 to 2002. Fender MERGED!!!!! the USA Jackson shop with their Fender shop in Corona, California. Along the way, many employees were let go or left the company. Many of the "handmade" processes were converted to CNC and computerized building.

Fender hurt the quality, decreased the "handmade" aspect of the guitars and raised the {censored}ing prices!!!

The first thing Fender did was come in and build some ridiculously overpriced "25th Aniversary" Charvels with strat headstocks. They capitalized on their headstock design and wanted $2500 for a freaking 1 hum bolt-on neck copy of a vintage Charvel. The people who got took on that guitar got really {censored}ed when they got their guitars in and found out that they were really built by Fender personel in the Fender Custom Shop BEFORE!!!! the Jackson shop had moved to Corona. Those guitars felt nothing like the vintage Charvels they were supposed to be modeled after.

After that, Fender managed to lose almost every single long time Jackson endorsee and piss Alexi Laiho off into leaving Jackson also. They somewhat redeemed themselves by bringing EVH back into Charvel-land but the hype was pretty shortlived as EVH reverted back to his drunken weird ways, pissed off his whole band and went back into drunken retirement.

• Members

Major Jackson USA admirer here, although I have never gotten around to buying one. The USA models are at the very highest peak of shredderdom, bar done. The imports from the mid to late '80s thru early '90s were awesome as well, but not so much these days.

• Members

Originally posted by GregCrowe

Sorry but totally wrong! WAY wrong.

Fender shut down the Ontario, California USA Custom Shop that had been building USA Jacksons from 1986 to 2002. Fender MERGED!!!!! the USA Jackson shop with their Fender shop in Corona, California. Along the way, many employees were let go or left the company. Many of the "handmade" processes were converted to CNC and computerized building.

Fender hurt the quality, decreased the "handmade" aspect of the guitars and raised the {censored}ing prices!!!

The first thing Fender did was come in and build some ridiculously overpriced "25th Aniversary" Charvels with strat headstocks. They capitalized on their headstock design and wanted $2500 for a freaking 1 hum bolt-on neck copy of a vintage Charvel. The people who got took on that guitar got really {censored}ed when they got their guitars in and found out that they were really built by Fender personel in the Fender Custom Shop BEFORE!!!! the Jackson shop had moved to Corona. Those guitars felt nothing like the vintage Charvels they were supposed to be modeled after.

After that, Fender managed to lose almost every single long time Jackson endorsee and piss Alexi Laiho off into leaving Jackson also. They somewhat redeemed themselves by bringing EVH back into Charvel-land but the hype was pretty shortlived as EVH reverted back to his drunken weird ways, pissed off his whole band and went back into drunken retirement.

Eh... if I recall correctly, 80% of the build process of USA select guitars is handmade. Custom guitars are made along regular line USA select. Also, they work in a seperate section of the factory, for Jacksons only.

Alexi's story happened party because of his distributor. Alexi was an artist, he had to pay his own guitars just like everyone else. He didn't like the custom shop taking 8 months to build his guitar, so he went somewhere else. I don't see how that's Jackson's fault?

Archived