Trades at Guitar Center?

Fireproof

• Members

I've been contemplating the exact same thing.

I have a first generation Marshall Valvestate VS8080 (80W) that I want to unload. I was thinking about using it as a trade-in at GC for an Ampeg bass amp. I was wondering what kind of deal I could get. But if I could even get $200 for it, it would probably be worth it to me to save on some selling hassle.

• Members

I had a broken amp, (Fender tweed Blues DeLuxe) that I paid 300.00 for that I sold to them for 150.00. How am I going to sell something broken and that heavy on Ebay?

I also had a Line 6 Spider amp that sells for around 120.00 used on Ebay. I just traded it straight up for a Roland Micro Cube that sells for that that I was thinking of buying at GC anyway.

No shipping hassles, Ebay posting fees or Paypal fees and I got my Micro Cube without paying taxes or anything.

A friend of mine sold them a Gretsch guitar that sells on Ebay regularly for just over $600.00 for $900.00 They stuck it on their "vintage" wall for 1,500.00! Maybe they'll find a sucker...

• Members

The post by GAS Man about trading his Marshall Valvestate reminded me of my own experience at GC. I had a 65 watt Valvestate (VS65R) in excellent condition that I had upgraded the crappy Goldback speaker with a nice Celestion G12T. When I took it in they offered me something like $50 for it. When I told him the speaker alone was worth more than that, he had the nerve to tell me that it was actually worth LESS because it wasn't the "stock" speaker! If it had been a vintage 57 Strat that I had replaced original parts on, I could understand - but this was absurd. I don't even think about trying to sell used gear at GC.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

I had a broken amp, (Fender tweed Blues DeLuxe) that I paid 300.00 for that I sold to them for 150.00. How am I going to sell something broken and that heavy on Ebay?

I also had a Line 6 Spider amp that sells for around 120.00 used on Ebay. I just traded it straight up for a Roland Micro Cube that sells for that that I was thinking of buying at GC anyway.

No shipping hassles, Ebay posting fees or Paypal fees and I got my Micro Cube without paying taxes or anything.

A friend of mine sold them a Gretsch guitar that sells on Ebay regularly for just over $600.00 for $900.00 They stuck it on their "vintage" wall for 1,500.00! Maybe they'll find a sucker...

Wow - you had some pretty good experiences. Maybe I'll take it up there just to see what they offer. Maybe I can talk some bozo into giving me a good deal. If not, I'll walk and put it on eBay and in the spam threads.

I'll let you know what happens. :D

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots

Trading anything in anywhere is not the best move regardless of the store or the item you want to get rid of. The store can't give you what its worth because they are going to sell it for what its worth. Its just common sense. Its the same thing with cars. I can't understand why so many people trade in their old cars to dealers when they get something new. Its just like giving them money. Sell it yourself and you will always come out better than on a trade in.

I traded my wifes old {censored}ty dodge shadow that we paid just under 900 for and they gave me 2500 for it. I just bitched and whined about the price of the Honda I was buying so much and told them that i would just not buy the thing if they didn't lower the price or give me more on the trade. They gave me more on the trade and I bought my wifes Accord.

• Members

Originally posted by hollowbox

I traded my wifes old {censored}ty dodge shadow that we paid just under 900 for and they gave me 2500 for it. I just bitched and whined about the price of the Honda I was buying so much and told them that i would just not buy the thing if they didn't lower the price or give me more on the trade. They gave me more on the trade and I bought my wifes Accord.

That was a bottom line deal.

They took some of their margin on the Accord that they had for haggling leeway, and used it to make your trade-in look fatter.

You likely could have swung a better deal by having sold your Dodge outright for $900 and bringing cash to the table.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

That was a bottom line deal.

They took some of their margin on the Accord that they had for haggling leeway, and used it to make your trade-in look fatter.

You likely could have swung a better deal by having sold your Dodge outright for $900 and bringing cash to the table.

Yeah I understand that they could go lower on the car and all I got was the best deal i was going to get....regardless if they gave it to me as a trade in or just took the money off of the price.

I came in with about 3 grand in cash when I bought that particular car so I believe I got the best deal possible......

The reason I mentioned the car was basically because we had the car for four years after having bought it for 900. The car was not worth {censored} really. I don't believe I could have sold it for more than 500 at best. So for them to give me 2500 was cool. In the end it would not have mattered how they took the money off the price of the Honda as long as the price went down. I got the car for a little less than what i was expecting to pay for it, so i was pretty happy.

• Members

At my Guitar Center, the workers seem to actually hover near the entrance and pounce on anybody bringing stuff in to sell. They buy the stuff personally sometimes I think. Maybe they sell it at a profit independent of the store. I dunno.

I swear I wasn't even in the store before the guy said he's trade me a new mini cube for my Line 6 Spider amp. It works out for both of us. Even on Ebay it seemed at the time I couldn't find mini cubes for less than a hundred plus shipping. I know that GC probably pays maybe half that for them...so they are buying my amp really for 60 bucks...But I'm not going to find that price easy.

I suggest if you are planning to buy something with the money you make anyway...see what they will give you in store credit. It might make things more

practical for you.

• Members

Originally posted by hollowbox

Yeah I understand that they could go lower on the car and all I got was the best deal i was going to get....regardless if they gave it to me as a trade in or just took the money off of the price.

I came in with about 3 grand in cash when I bought that particular car so I believe I got the best deal possible......

The reason I mentioned the car was basically because we had the car for four years after having bought it for 900. The car was not worth {censored} really. I don't believe I could have sold it for more than 500 at best. So for them to give me 2500 was cool. In the end it would not have mattered how they took the money off the price of the Honda as long as the price went down. I got the car for a little less than what i was expecting to pay for it, so i was pretty happy.

Sounds good! :cool:

• Members

I don't know if a situation like this has been posted but here's my GC trade-in experience.

I went to the local GC in Naperville, IL with my Blackout Tele. I had got offered 300 for trade-in at a local shop in Champaign, however I wanted to put it towards the Gibby Faded LP DC I want to replace and they are no longer a Gibby dealer. So up I went to GC and they gave me an offer of 180 with the crappy case I had it in. To some that would seem bad considering the list still is 800 or whatever on them and they sell new for 500 ... but I got it on blowout for 200 from MF awhile ago. So to me that wouldn't be too big of a hit (basically 20 bucks to rent the tele for a few months). I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet but I am leaning twoards doing it.

So it boils down to what particular item you are looking to trade in and what you paid for that item originally. I would say my situation is the exception, however, and not the rule.

• Members

I got a really good deal on a fender ultimate stereo chourus from a guy at work, he took it into GC and he sold it to me for what they offered him in trade. He didn't mind taking a loss, but he figured he'd rather hook a friend up with a good deal. A couple years later I sold it outright to GuitarTrader here in San Diego, and I got exactly what I paid for it. It's one of the very few times I didn't lose money on gear. When I lived in the bay area my local vintage shop paid fair prices, but I always lost money because the majority of the time it was stuff I bought there. Of course I got deals there that you wouldn't believe, so at least the margin of lose was, well, marginal :)

• Members

At a big used gear store, I got offered $300 for my Les Paul Silverburst-they had a similar one in a glass case for $1500 (this was about 10 years ago). I still have the guitar-glad I didn't sell it-I let them know where they could stick it.

Archived