Best Degree for getting into the Music Industry?

connorpeak

• Members

This might be kind of an obvious question for the OP...or maybe not but

Have you thought about WHAT you want to do in the music industry?

My first thought when I saw the question was "maybe accounting" or some such. It's a portable skill and you could apply it to the music industry and be in the music industry...as an accountant -- but you'd have to ask yourself if that would satisfy you. Like when you say "music industry" does that mean you want to be directly involved in the music production or would you be cool with management or support or finance or law or all that other stuff that goes on in industries.

Very few of the guys that work for Boeing actually fly the planes.

No accounting! My moms an accountant, it doesn't seem like the job for me. What I've always envisioned is having a "normal job" just applied in a music setting, like work on marketing of a record label or advertising. I don't want to go down the route of being a musician, which is one of the reasons I'm steering away from a degree in Music Management. The degree is part of music department and not the business, so consequently the emphasis seems to be on musicianship not on business.....that being said It just SEEMS like that. I haven't actually taken any classes yet.

• Members

A masters or PHD in Computer Science. The ability to understand the processes of design, encryption, graphics and video production, as well as many other technological endeavors in a multitude of directions is the most valueable safeguard you could possibly get in today's world.
Everything
is being computerized and you will not need to be reliant on anyone once you understand and can control the computers controlling you. With this sorta degree, you can work in many different relative and directly related industries that are "the biz"...

I agree with that. The only caveat being that you have to be good at math and logic or you have no hope of getting such a degree. CS is very difficult unless you've got a talent for it.

• Members

I agree with that. The only caveat being that you have to be good at math and logic or you have no hope of getting such a degree. CS is very difficult unless you've got a talent for it.

I've got a Master's in Instructional Technology, so what I do involves developing training and e-learning, but not really any math/coding. If you get a degree like that or any variant of Media/Mass Communications, you can learn more "soft" stuff, like graphic design, video editing, web design, etc... Not much math/logic, but a lot that can apply to media/entertainment.

I tried majoring in CS as a freshman myself, and I couldn't hack it. I had to withdraw from Analytical Calculus and a programming class, because my grades were so low that I wouldn't have been able to raise my average anyway... but many people do have a knack for Math. :)

• Members

If you're going to get a degree in music anything...be sure to squeeze a few classes in your schedule on how to calculate the interest over the term of your student loan for a minimum payment.

Seriously though, get a degree that can go somewhere. I love music, and in an ideal world, I'd gladly go to school and have that be my primary career.

But, engineering pays the loans and bills...and allows me to buy cool toys to play with.

In contrast to myself, a friend of mine is going to school in DC for a recording engineer program. Between bad life choices, cost of living, the cost of tuition, and the determination to become a superstar...he projects that he'll be about 190k in debt. That's at 11% APR too. He worked delivery pizzas for a while...wonder how much that helped his debt?

• Members

I've got a Master's in Instructional Technology, so what I do involves developing training and e-learning, but not really any math/coding. If you get a degree like that or any variant of Media/Mass Communications, you can learn more "soft" stuff, like graphic design, video editing, web design, etc... Not much math/logic, but a lot that can apply to media/entertainment.

I tried majoring in CS as a freshman myself, and I couldn't hack it. I had to withdraw from Analytical Calculus and a programming class, because my grades were so low that I wouldn't have been able to raise my average anyway... but many people do have a knack for Math.
:)

Matt,

Do you use Moodle? Just curious. I'm the network admin for our District's Moodle installations. One of my many hats at work.

• Members

New here. Just a warning. If yer gonna take on student loans to get your degree, think long and hard about the time it's going to pay them back and be sure you're doing something you can earn a living at. Even with a degree, it's more who you know than the type of degree needed. Besides, the entire music industry is in flux, so who knows what they may need. Everyone needs IT, but there's no guarantees. Good luck.

• Members

New here. Just a warning. If yer gonna take on student loans to get your degree, think long and hard about the time it's going to pay them back and be sure you're doing something you can earn a living at. Even with a degree, it's more who you know than the type of degree needed. Besides, the entire music industry is in flux, so who knows what they may need. Everyone needs IT, but there's no guarantees. Good luck.

+100

• Members

I don't know that an advanced degree in CS is really the best path, esp as an entre tool. FWIW I've got friends that have stripped advanced degrees from their CVs since it can put them as "overqualified" or "too specialized" for some things.

They can study some interesting stuff for sure, but it can get kind of specialized as you move into the advanced degrees. A lot of the boots-on-the-ground computer work is more "application engineer" than computer scientist knowing the current tools, etc is important there.

I totally agree that high proficiency with computer technology is a super plus in today's job market though, it's just an advanced degree in CS leads to...well CS. not necessarily proficiency with this or that application, the same way studying aerospace engineering doesn't make me a helicopter pilot.

(I can calculate asymptotic time complexity of an algorithm...but I can't find my way around Second Life :( )

• Members

A masters or PHD in Computer Science. The ability to understand the processes of design, encryption, graphics and video production, as well as many other technological endeavors in a multitude of directions is the most valueable safeguard you could possibly get in today's world.
Everything
is being computerized and you will not need to be reliant on anyone once you understand and can control the computers controlling you. With this sorta degree, you can work in many different relative and directly related industries that are "the biz"...

choosing is kinda hard especially when you're thinking not just for today but as well as for the next years to come..

CS degree is one of the best option you could consider about, it can suit to any work industry..

Best of luck!!

• Members

Thru the years we had many multimedia and recording engineering students making an internship, or using our studios for their projects when we sleep... forget this people, not one was usable in the real world, also broadcast stations do not accept any employee who has no electric engineering diploma from a University, nor in any other demanding field.

Study your profession of choice to the fullest extend, then you find a job.

• Members

Exactly my point. Do the math and figure out the interest and term of the loan to be repaid. That friend I spoke of with the 190k debt? Yea, he'll be paying near $500k over the course of that 30 year long @ 11% APR.

Remember, there's only 4 ways you can shred a student loan.

1. Die

2. Fake your death

3. Leave the US to a non-extraditing country

4. Somehow convince a lender to give you $$ through an un-secured loan. I don't even know if this would work, though. You'd probably end up getting sued and having wages garnished in the end.

Archived