Adding bass/other to an acoustic guitar track

• Members

This might be a really dumb question.

Say I record an acoustic guitar track for a simple guitar/vocal demo. Could I send this to a demo studio and have him a bass track? What about drums? Well, far as that goes, even electric guitar.

Point being, I don't know what I'm doing, haha, and I can't play bass or drums. But I wrote the songs and I play acoustic guitar and sing. Might be backwards but can it be done reasonably well?

• Members

Yes, it can be done with either/both. It's usually easier if you do play to a click track, but it can obviously be done without one unless you're all over the map.

Ted Hawkins "The Next Hundred Years" is an excellent example of (first-rate) musicians playing to someone who had laid down vocals and acoustic guitar without a click track. It's also an absolutely stunning record that I strongly recommend.

• Members

it can be done so well, you'll never even know that the

people were not in the same room/state/country.

friend of mine just recorded and album with people from

Alabama, Tennessee, Chicago, etc.

guys over at the home-recording bbs do this all the time.

cheers

C.

• Members

Originally posted by LiveMusic

This might be a really dumb question.

Say I record an acoustic guitar track for a simple guitar/vocal demo. Could I send this to a demo studio and have him a bass track? What about drums? Well, far as that goes, even electric guitar.

Point being, I don't know what I'm doing, haha, and I can't play bass or drums. But I wrote the songs and I play acoustic guitar and sing. Might be backwards but can it be done reasonably well?

Still interested, PM me. I'll give it a go for free...

• Members

There is a ton of modern music that is built exactly the way you describe. Many times the musicians are not even in the same room or studio at the same time.

A surprising amount of "pop" music is assembled rather than played by a band. Adding instruments one at a time can work just fine.

• Members

Originally posted by littledog

Just curious... What is an "off-center guitar"?

The whole guitar sounds in tune with itself, but is actually a bit sharp or flat. With digital recording there's no excuse for tuning goofs.

Archived