question on SRV's playing...

mysterybat35

• Members

Hey yall,

I have always heard about SRV in the past, but haven't really got a chance to really hear his stuff. (Until today) I had no idea how good he was. I was like WOW. I had to get help just to lift my jaw up off of the ground.

I what really suprized me was his cover version of the Isley Brother's "Testify" ft. Jimi Hendrix. That was HOT!!!!

What I want to know is why he chose to do so many of Jimi Hendrix's songs when playing live. It's obvious that he was influenced by him and that is perfectly cool, but why play all of Jimi's songs?

Please don't be defensive when responding to this I am just curious is all. Thanks!!!

MB35

• Members

Jimi's playing has influenced countless guitarists, Stevie being one of them. If you are just discovering his playing, I highly recommend the DVD "Live at the El Mocambo." You can find it new for around $15 either locally or on the net. You won't be disappointed.

:thu:

~Blackbelt

• Members

Stevie was indeed heavily influenced by Jimi.

Stevie, in his early days, even used to do cool guitar stage tricks. He did this neat thing where he would flip his guitar over on the floor using the bar.

Your right, he was a kick ass player, and many people seriously look up to him, including myself. However, I easily prefer Stevie over Jimi.

There was something about Stevie, when he closed his eyes and started playing he was like an open channel from somewhere. You just don't see that very often.

• Members
Originally posted by Blackbelt1

Jimi's playing has influenced countless guitarists, Stevie being one of them. If you are just discovering his playing, I highly recommend the DVD "Live at the El Mocambo." You can find it new for around $15 either locally or on the net. You won't be disappointed.

~Blackbelt

Agreed, you must check out one of his live DVDs. There are a few, all will really kick you in the ass and make you want to play.

When I got my first SRV dvd, it took three watchings to make it all the way through it without cutting it off to go play. :thu:

• Members

will do. I hope I can find some DVDs with HIS OWN material on it instead of just Hendrix covers. If he can turn Jimi's hits into super-hits then I'm sure Stevie's own material should be awesome. I'm kinda mad at myself for not discovering SRV sooner.

Thx guys

MB35

• Members

responded kindly: I listen to R&B, funk & rock ballads. I'm also a younin'. I just now recently decided to try out the blues scene although I have always been listening to Jimi Hendrix.

I just recently discovered the likes of Van Halen and SRV and I have decided to try new music genres in hopes to expand my skills. I'm trying to have a wide range of playing styles. I'm trying to expand my somewhat limited skills by listening to new kinds of music.

and again I am YOUNG..

hopefully that will explain

• Members
Originally posted by guitarcapo

I sometimes felt that Stevie played Jimi better than Jimi did. More in tune. But he had better gear and influences in his time. Jimi created his stuff in a vacuum by comparison. There was nothing remotely like Jimi when he came on the scene.

I much prefer Stevies "Little Wing" over Jimi's :D

• Members

Someone on this forum has a great sig, a Gauguin quote to the effect that "all art is either plagiarism or revolution."

While I have nothing but total awe of and respect for SRV, Jimi was a revolutionary, which puts him ahead of SRV in my book.

Plus, Jimi wasn't afraid to get nasty in his blues playing (his "Blues" CD has what I feel is some serious momma-chokin' playing, esp. on "Bleeding Heart"). Also, his live renditions of "Red House" would always have some funny squiggle licks in them.

I love both guitarists' work, though.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarcapo

I sometimes felt that Stevie played Jimi better than Jimi did. More in tune. But he had better gear and influences in his time. Jimi created his stuff in a vacuum by comparison. There was nothing remotely like Jimi when he came on the scene.

More in tune, heh. Its scary to think what Jimi wouldve done with a Floyd. :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by Blackbelt1

~Blackbelt

Best guitar performance ever captured on tape:thu: :thu:

• Members

Listen to:

Texas Flood
Lenny
Couldn't stand the Weather
The Sky is Crying
Riviera Paradise
Pride And Joy
Rude Mood.

Those are some of my favorites of his own writing (i Think).

I firmly believe that there were only 2 people on this planet that could play a Jimi Hendrix tune and make it justice, Jimi Hendrix and Stivie Ray.

• Members
Originally posted by mysterybat35

will do. I hope I can find some DVDs with HIS OWN material on it instead of just Hendrix covers. If he can turn Jimi's hits into super-hits then I'm sure Stevie's own material should be awesome. I'm kinda mad at myself for not discovering SRV sooner.

Thx guys

MB35

man its not "just hendrix covers" but the best versions of the man himself. just ask John Mayer, :p
kiddin aside tons of people get into hendrix through SRV. Do not take aside his covers, they are the core of SRVs music.

• Members
Originally posted by mr footinmouth

Listen to:

Texas Flood

Lenny

Couldn't stand the Weather

The Sky is Crying

Riviera Paradise

Pride And Joy

Rude Mood.

Those are some of my favorites of his own writing (i Think).

I firmly believe that there were only 2 people on this planet that could play a Jimi Hendrix tune and make it justice, Jimi Hendrix and Stivie Ray.

Just so you know,The Sky is Crying is an Elmore James song and Texas Flood was written by L.C. Davis /J.W Scott....oh and Frank Marino can play the hell out of a Jimi tune too..If you haven't heard him ,check him out.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Bubbluz

Just so you know,The Sky is Crying is an Elmore James song and Texas Flood was written by L.C. Davis /J.W Scott....oh and Frank Marino can play the hell out of a Jimi tune too..If you haven't heard him ,check him out.

Indeed. SRV played many songs written by others. Great stuff, though.

Good call on Frank Marino :)

• Members

Stevie is just Stevie....

No way to explain it and nobody else will ever be like him....he had "it". The night he died, when he walked off stage at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin, Eric Clapton told him "he sure could play". Damn right he could!

As far as albums go, "In-Step" is his masterpiece.....has great originals and done when he was clean and sober.

• Members

Originally posted by mysterybat35

which songs would ya'll recommend I listen to of SRV's that are of his OWN material. I mean songs that really stand out? His song covers are great but I kinda want to hear his own stuff.

I don't really recall SRV overdoing the Hendrix covers. I mean, Little Wing & Voodoo Chile, and what else? It's not like he was doing 3-4 per set or anything.

SRV, being a blues-based guy, played a lot of old blues covers, sure, but that's what blues guys do. So, no shame in that, it's just the tradition of the genre, I'd say.

Any of SRV's studio albums are great. El Mocambo is great, but I'd go for the Montreaux DVD - 2 sets, one from '83 and one from '85, I think. Great stuff.

• Members
Originally posted by santos

I don't really recall SRV overdoing the Hendrix covers. I mean, Little Wing & Voodoo Chile, and what else?

3rd stone from the sun.

Mysterybat35-

Take a listen to 'Tin Pan Alley' from 'in the beginning'

:eek:

While Stevie did play a lot of covers (and not just Jimi's), the majority of his songs were his.

'Lenny' was written for his wife, and shows his gentle side (so does 'life by the drop').

• Members

He didnt "play all of Jimi's songs". He played a few and it was a small part of his show. My guess is because he could and people like to hear Jimi's music done well.

Lots of guitar players pop in a Jimi tune from time to time. One of my favorites was Ted Nugent playing Red House.

Archived