Jazzmaster - string slipping on a mustang bridge?

jmingo

• Members

I just put a mustang bridge on my jazzmaster... i thought problems solved... well they were except one. if i do a big bend on the high e string, the string will slip out.

so i had a show, so for now i had to put a jazzmaster saddle on the high e. any ideas what could be going on?? the mustang saddle on the high e didn't seem to tight.

plus i'm using 10's string.

any advice would be great.

• Members

i've got 3 jazzmasters. 2 mij's and a cij. i put a mustang bridge on the cij because the strings would pop roght out of the original saddles. the 2 mij's have the original saddles still. i've never had a problem with those. then again, i'm not one for extreme bending of notes or anything. i also use 11's for all the jazzmasters. they just seem to work better.

• Members

I have a CIJ jazzmaster, equipped with a mustang bridge. The only time the strings popped out was when I lend my guitar to our drummer. And I have 010's on my jazzmaster and I never never had any problems since I installed the mustang bridge.

• Members

I have my CIJ Jazzer with Mustang bridge strung with .011's--.056. No problems whatsoever, and I whang on it pretty hard. The 11's really wake this thing up. I also put Duncan Vintage for Jazzmaster pickups on it (I had 1/4 pounders for awhile). They are great pickups. Additionally, I put a mint pickguard on this beauty.

jazzmaster.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

if you can stand to go to 11s, thats your best bet.

Yep. The necks on those MIJ/CIJ Jazzers are fantastic, and you can set them up beautifully to handle .011's. I have started using 11's on all of my guitars with tremolos. They stay in tune and sound really beefy. I also put 11's on my ES 335. It doesn't take much more effort to bend the strings, and you get used to the heavier strings pretty fast.

• Members

Originally posted by jmingo

I just put a mustang bridge on my jazzmaster... i thought problems solved... well they were except one. if i do a big bend on the high e string, the string will slip out.

so i had a show, so for now i had to put a jazzmaster saddle on the high e. any ideas what could be going on?? the mustang saddle on the high e didn't seem to tight.

plus i'm using 10's string.

any advice would be great.

I am using mustang saddles w/ the stock bridge on my AVRI jazzmaster. No problems whatsoever with string poppage.

I wonder, is the neck pocket of yours shimmed? Is it possible that the bridge posts are too low on yours, resulting in not enough tension on the strings as they cross the saddles? If that's the case, then shimming the neck a bit and raising the bridge posts may be in order. That way you should be able to achieve similar action w/ more pressure on the strings over the saddles.

Oh...and did you thoroughly tape up the posts on the mustang bridge? Again, I don't use this bridge, but my understanding is that the existing bushings are too big for the mustang bridge posts, and they should be taped so as not to move.

Finally, use .11s. I gotta agree w/ Doc. The guitar just sounds better with them.

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

I've had great luck with the
at the bottom of the page - it'll offend the traditionalists, though

+1 I've got a buzzstop on my Jazzmaster. Works a treat, stops the strings jumping out of the saddles and also stops the height adjustment screws moving around since it creates more downforce.

• Members

Originally posted by Pengrin

+1 I've got a buzzstop on my Jazzmaster. Works a treat, stops the strings jumping out of the saddles and also stops the height adjustment screws moving around since it creates more downforce.

a buzzstop is an abomination in the eyes of Leo...:D

jk, but I wouldn't use one! Don't it inhibit the function of the trem?

• Members

Originally posted by ExtraGum

a buzzstop is an abomination in the eyes of Leo...
:D

jk, but I wouldn't use one! Don't it inhibit the function of the trem?

makes it feel a bit stiffer, but still works smoothly - the bar is a roller, so it moves with the strings

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

makes it feel a bit stiffer, but still works smoothly - the bar is a roller, so it moves with the strings

I think that would screw up my technique:

I hold onto the trem bar while playing cowboy chords and pretending I'm Scottish. :cool: The warble this makes is so subtle as to be lost if any force other than that required to strum the chord were required.

Archived