Multi-FX question

LAracer

• Members

(I know there's another forum for this stuff, but I also know that you guys are so much cooler :D ... and at least it's better than another Gibson thread)

I have a behringer X V-amp. Lots of fun and very versatile, but I'm hearing a distinct "digital" quality to the tone. Don't know how else to describe it. Especially on clean amp models, but its there even when I bypass the amp modeling. I checked the user-reviews here at HC, and no-one else seems to complain about this. Does anyone else hear similar things with this or other multi-fx units, or is it just my imagination? I don't have problems with the quality of the actual effects or models, just this digital-sounding tone.

I was thinking about putting a Boss ME-50 on my wish list to replace the X V-amp, but maybe I'd have the same complaint. Opinions on that?

:confused:

p.s. I'm playing either through Fender tube amps - a SR and a Champ - or through my sound card.

• Members

I had a Boss ME-33 a few years ago and sold it. Distinct delay from when you select the patch and when it clicks on. I think the 50 has the same issue. Not good for live situations, why I sold it.

I got to the point where I hate multi-effects for the reason you mention. The POD always seemed to be the best of the bunch to me.

• Members

You may hear certain digital quality with any multi-effects units. That said, I bought a Zoom GFX-1 about a year ago, and I really like the sounds I can get from it. I also just picked up a Vox AD50VT that has amp modeling and multieffects, and the AC30TB model (which I use the most so far) is really warm-sounding and "feels" great.

• Members

Originally posted by DRPool

Hey LARacer,

Not to go too far ot here but did you ever hit the epi lp classic/classic plus deal?

I believe the plus is still $379.

Nah. Long story, but I went to GC, played an Epi LP Standard in Ebony & fell in love (epsecially with the fat neck that the classic plus doesn't have), but they couldn't give me a sweet enough deal at GC (they wanted $450 without case). So I ebayed myself a used one. You're probably going to ask what I paid: $365 shipped w/ HSC. I probably could have found a better deal, but I'm impatient.

And back to the multi-FX question. I guess I'm really fishing to see if anyone with the same ears as me (i.e. who hears the same digitalness) has found a unit that doesn't have it. I thought that since the ME-50 didn't have amp modeling, it might be the one.

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

I had a Boss ME-33 a few years ago and sold it. Distinct delay from when you select the patch and when it clicks on. I think the 50 has the same issue. Not good for live situations, why I sold it.

I got to the point where I hate multi-effects for the reason you mention. The POD always seemed to be the best of the bunch to me.

This is true of the ME 50 as well, a slight delay when the patch loads. instant on the individual effects though.

If this is not a problem (20 years of practice needed before I play live) then it is a great effects unit. ANd of course you get a volume/Wah/octave shift pedal as well!

• Members

Originally posted by knotty

This is true of the ME 50 as well, a slight delay when the patch loads. instant on the individual effects though.

If this is not a problem (20 years of practice needed before I play live) then it is a great effects unit. ANd of course you get a volume/Wah/octave shift pedal as well!

yeah, I won't be playing live anytime soon either. But what about the "digitalness" of the sound of the ME-50. Is that something you've noticed on this or other multi FX?

Or am I making this whole digitalness thing up? Is it just my ears?

• Members

Originally posted by LAracer

yeah, I won't be playing live anytime soon either. But what about the "digitalness" of the sound of the ME-50. Is that something you've noticed on this or other multi FX?

Or am I making this whole digitalness thing up? Is it just my ears?

Ive not noticed it on the BOSS. I have a Tascam GT 2 and I can hear it on that so I understand what you mean.

I play mine through a CUBE 30 on the clean channel With TOne mid and Base turned full up. Then let the Boss do the work. Sounds good to me but no doubt the VALVE gang will tell me I must be deaf/mad/stupid etc and Need a 1000watt head with 86 model XPFKKL765 Valves (circa 1967) burnt in for 8 hours and 38 seconds, for optimum tone. (Oh and a 59 LP)

• Members
Originally posted by TomcatMF

The G major is about the most transparent multi FX unit that I have ever heard.

Two problems with that one:

1) description says "The affordable TC Electronic Multi-Effects Processor for the accomplished guitarist". Describing me as a guitarist is a stretch, but accomlished? :eek::)

2) no OD/DS, which I need since I play through Fender amps.

• Members

Originally posted by knotty

....burnt in for 8 hours and 38 seconds, for optimum tone. (Oh and a 59 LP)

Hehe, yeah I don't think I'm a total tone freak (I actually like the sound of CDs, for instance), but this particular issue is just enough above my threshold for it to bother me. Perhaps I'll take a ME-50 for a test drive then.

Thanks!

• Members

I think the best sounding multi is the Vox ToneLab, which uses a tube as a low powered power amp.

Other good sounding (and cheaper) ones are the Yamaha Magic Stomp and Johnson J-Station.

If you're not looking tio use it live (or are willing to use a MIDI footswitch, Guitar Center in their latest catalog is offering the GS-10 for $169. This was a high end unit designed for recording and is at least as good as the ME series. It would be cheaper even adding a foort controller.

Archived