A POLL: How slinky are your strings?

Fireproof

• Members

I've seen a few discussions, but never a poll. The poll will be much easier to see compiled answers! :thu:

What size strings do you use (based on the 1st string)? I know the gauges can differ from 1st to 6th, but I am just curious about the 1st E string...

• Members
Originally posted by Fireproof

I've seen a few discussions, but never a poll. The poll will be much easier to see compiled answers!
:thu:

What size strings do you use (based on the 1st string)? I know the gauges can differ from 1st to 6th, but I am just curious about the 1st E string...

'Slinkiness' is due in part to the strings, and in part to the scale length, so asking for one without the other won't really give you reliable results. :p

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

A couple votes for Boomers - do you guys have opinions on the Boomers vs. D'Addarios?

I didnt notice a TON of difference between the 2, but my boomers sound a little thicker to me, which suits my style well. Could be all mental, though, I suppose. D'addario seems to make fine strings.

I HATE, absolutely HATE Ernie Ball strings. They sound so thin to me and always break never lasted me more than a day or 2.

• Members
Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

'Slinkiness' is due in part to the strings, and in part to the scale length, so asking for one without the other won't really give you reliable results.
:p

Well, now that's a good point. I guess I'll just assume a normal distribution of popular scale lengths across the poll results, and that should get me pretty close. :p

• Members

Officially I voted for .009's because that's what I use on most of my guitars -- and I like them.

BUT on my Les Paul Classic and my ES-335 I use .010's (of course) and on my PRS McCarty Hollowbody II I use nothing but PRS .011's (designed for peizo).

• Members

Probably a bass guitar.
I've been using heavier gauges lately, like .011 - .050. When I tune the guitar a step or so up, it really sounds punchy and crispy clear. But it's quite a workout on your fingers! Good stuff.
I've always used Ernie Balls, but I also haven't experimented all that much with other strings. Seems like the differences are things only the guitar player notices. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably.

Archived