Strat "Grounding" Problems... HELP...

bwalker

• Members

I have a mexi-strat with, I assume original pick-ups. They are wired "Strat-standard" from what I've read of them. However, I am getting a terrible buzzing when I am in positions 1, 3, and 5 (single pick-ups). However, the noise is complete gone when I am in positions 2 (combo 1-3) or 4 (combo 3-5). Any ideas?

• Members

Normal three single coil Strat behavior. You may need to find what is causing the buzzing to stop it. There is probably something in your playing envirinment that is causing the buzz. Flourescent lights, television, computer monitor or any number of electrical devices that may be nearby. You may also want to look into shielding your Strat to help cut the buzz.

• Members

I just followed my circuit, and I turned off EVERYTHING except the bass amp, and it still had the buzz.

FYI: In addition to the bass amp, I have all of our sound equipment and lights on the same circuit (I know, not the best idea). However, tonight I just tried it with everything unplugged or turned off and the noise is still there.

Is it possible to have a buzzing problem caused by the instrument?

• Members

You're pretty much stuck with that noise. That is traditional single coil wiring. Both positions 2 and 4 have two pickups activated.

pos 2: bridge+middle.
pos4: neck+middle.

In both of these positions the direction of the pickup coil windings appose each other. This is what is called phase cancellation and it is how a humbucker works. Shielding will help reduce this hum but it won't get rid of it entirely. Unless you get stacked single coil humbuckers like I did (or lace sensors) the noise will remain.

...not as much of problem if you're not a high gain player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

All the info you have gotten is correct.

The buzzing is 60-cycle hum. Is standard for single coils.

However, it can sometime be dampened by sheilding the guitar better.

Also, some single-coils buzz more than others, just from how they are made.

Many (if not most) modern signle coil sets use a middle Pu that is reverse-wound, reverse-polarity (RWRP) to the other two pickups; so it cancels hum in positions two and four.

If you like your tone, I suggest improving the shielding in the pickup caviety and behind the pickguard (Fender usually shields the pickups, but I don't if if they do it for all their models.

If you don't like you tone, you can switch pickups, either to find a quieter single-coil, and you can use one of the noiseless replacements (Fender Noiseless, Kinman's, etc).

-Y.

• Members

***Just realized that you were referring to the stock wiring from the factory, but my post below still applies if you want to improve upon this***

I'm no expert, but I wired quite a few guitars and have had to learn by trial and error. Positions 2 & 4 will be quieter than 1,3 & 5, but the difference should not be enough to motivate you to start a thread so I am assuming that the hum is louder than it should be.

Shielding is important, but the quality of your solder connections is as well.

Were all the leads cleaned before you soldered them?
Did you use the correct solder?
Was the iron hot enough?

If you have answered yes to all of these, then proceed to shield. Shielding paint is not easy to find and regular tin foil and glue are a real pain in the ass so you will probably end up using foil tape. If you do, just remember that the glue on the back of the tape is not conductive so you have to find a way to connect all the peices with something that is conductive. I usually try to use fewer peices to cover the cavities and then lay a piece (glue up) across these and cover with another piece of tape.

1. Make sure you shield the back of the pickguard as well as the pickup and electronics cavities

2. Connect the vol & 2 tone pots together. I usually solder either a D or A guitar string across the backs and it works great. Thought of this after receiving a pre-wired assembly from acme guitar works.

3. Connect ground wires from the back of pot, input and trem claw and screw them into the grounded electronics cavity route.

4. Screw the pots back into the pickguard and make sure the washers are touching the shielding on the guard.

If this is done carefully you should have a complete connection surrounding the pups and electronics and the noise will be as low as possible with single coils.

I'm sure there are other good methods, but this has been solid for me.

Good luck
Jeff

• Members

here's a simple trick for not hearing any buzz on the single coils.

1. you'll never hear any buzz when your playing with the band, especialy when the band is rockin and crankin! I double dare you to listen for any buzz while the rest of the gang in the band are rockin hard.

2.if your not playing, TURN THE VOLUME TO ZERO POSITION!

3. if you play in a band that has alot of stopping in the middle of songs. then get a volume pedal. :idea:

JIMMY HENDRIX USED ALL THE BUZZ AND NOISE THAT EVER CAME OUT OF THE STRATOCASTER TO HIS ADVANTAGE, THATS WHY HE'S STILL THE MAN TO BE HIGHLY IMULATED TODAY!

USE THE NOISE TO YOUR ADVANTAGE, THATS WHAT ROCK-N-ROLL IS ABOUT!

• Members
Originally posted by spongytone

here's a simple trick for not hearing any buzz on the single coils.

1. you'll never hear any buzz when your playing with the band, especialy when the band is rockin and crankin! I double dare you to listen for any buzz while the rest of the gang in the band are rockin hard.

2.if your not playing, TURN THE VOLUME TO ZERO POSITION!

3. if you play in a band that has alot of stopping in the middle of songs. then get a volume pedal.
:idea:

JIMMY HENDRIX USED ALL THE BUZZ AND NOISE THAT EVER CAME OUT OF THE STRATOCASTER TO HIS ADVANTAGE, THATS WHY HE'S STILL THE MAN TO BE HIGHLY IMULATED TODAY!

USE THE NOISE TO YOUR ADVANTAGE, THATS WHAT ROCK-N-ROLL IS ABOUT!

For the sake of his post lets assume the buzz is beyond that of the norm. Either way if he can do better why not try? We also don't know what kind of music he plays. Maybe he plays at home and there are no other instruments to block it out? Maybe he plays songs like SRV's Lenny where it would not be practical to turn off the volume? He wants to know how to quiet a strat and thats what we should give him, correct?

• Members

Originally posted by bwalker

I just followed my circuit, and I turned off EVERYTHING except the bass amp, and it still had the buzz.

FYI: In addition to the bass amp, I have all of our sound equipment and lights on the same circuit (I know, not the best idea). However, tonight I just tried it with everything unplugged or turned off and the noise is still there.

Is it possible to have a buzzing problem caused by the instrument?

When you say "Lights" Do you mean Par style lights with remote Dimmer packs?

If so, then they MUST ( no exceptions) be on a seperate circuit from your amps and PA gear. otherwise just learn to love the hum.

This is why many pro bands cary a "Distribution Box".

• Members

I think that the buzzing from my guitar is normal. I'm just looking for a way to minimize it. The single coil sound is a lot thinner than the dual-coil sound. I'd like to be able to use that "sound" with out having to fight the buzzing.

I'm thinking that these shielding recommendations will help me out greatly.

About the light...
No, they aren't par cans. The are decorative basement lighting. They are about 20 12vDC lights (I have 3-4 x-formers around my basement to support all of the lights).

When I turn off the lights, the buzz SLIGHTLY lessens, but it is still obviously there. Until I make the shielding adjustments, I'm suspecting the guitar.

• Members

ok ..
Then it would seem reasonable to do a full sheild job on the guitar.

Sheilding Strats is one of my specialties,
I developed a "Modified Star Ground System" that really makes a big difference in strats..

Others in this forum have sent me their guitars for sheilding work, and I've had no complaints yet.
I posted the "How To" in the "wiring 101" thread.
follow it to the letter and you should achive similar results.

Archived