If u had a choice of playing either guitar or bass in a band, which one would u play?

expertune

• Members

Are you more rhythmic or melodic? And which gives you a greater sense of enjoyment? A bunch of guitarists telling you that you will get bored rapidly is really them telling you they would get bored rapidly. Some people get off on being the rhythmic force in a band. Even 'simple' stuff can be immensely enjoyable when played to perfection.

Plus your rig tends to be simpler/easier to maintain and you usually have more time/ability to scan the audience for hotties.

'Good' guitarists are a dime-a-dozen and getting into a gigging band can be tough for them.

'Good' bassists are almost always in high demand and you will always have more options.

• Members

+1

I think your replies are gonna be a little skewed asking a an electric guitar forum about it. I think a lot of people don't give the bass enough credit.
I dabble in both (not very well unfortunately! :( ) and while i prefer guitar, i can see how important bass is, and perhaps more importantly, how much fun bass can be if you get creative with it. I think in a lot of cases the amount of fun you can have on bass is limited by the player.

• Members

Bass is a very challenging instrument if you are to play it well and intelligently. I think a good bass player is someone who really understands the music and is with it both from the harmonic point of view as well as the groove. The drummer and the bass player, as a team, are the ones who carry the whole feel of a song and the better they are, the better for every one in the band...and the audience.

• Members

I was at a show, where the bassist was much more dominant over the guitar (some jazz latin fusion whatever)
He was like the jimi hendrix of bass! :eek: He had full length solos, which he played exactly like playing a guitar
It was totally bitchin!:eek: :eek: :thu:

Archived