So, who's gigging this weekend?

Shovelhead

• Members

Where are you playing? And what type of music? What gear?

Me? I'm playing at a club in Parker, Colorado that has a really cool vibe. We're doing a mix of rock covers from the '70s to the present. I'm bringing 2 Historic Les Pauls and an acoustic. I can't decide between a Bogner Shiva and my old '74 Marshall Superlead. The cab is one of my own 2x12s.

I can't wait. There's nothing on earth quite like gigging. Even in small clubs.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

I don't have a gig for a couple more weeks at best. I've got a 'tentative' date at the end of February and a confirmed date on April 29. Other than those, I got nothin'.

I'm feelin' your pain! If we gig too much, I can't wait for a week or two off. But if we don't gig enough, I go crazy.

• Members

I'm playing/hosting a keg party at my lakeside camp. Wouldnt call it a gig but itll be {censored}in fun for sure. Ho's, bro's, and bags of hydro. What more can you ask for?

As for what we play, original metal music somewhat akin to a mixture of Soilwork/Lamb of God; with the occasional blues and funk jams thrown in for good measure :thu:

Here's my signal chain for the evening: Hamer USA Californian/Hamer Standard/Washburn 7-string > Morley Bad Horsie > Rocktron Zombie > Digitech Bad Monkey > Carvin Legacy half-stack with a Danelectro Wasabi forward/reverse delay in the effects loop.

• Members

Originally posted by Shovelhead

I'm feelin' your pain! If we gig too much, I can't wait for a week or two off. But if we don't gig enough, I go crazy.

I'm in two bands, so you'd think I'd gig a lot. However, one of my bands never practices and gigs about once a month, the other band practices all the time and never gigs.

From 1999-2001 I gigged every Friday and Saturday night. By the time we slowed down we were all ready for a couple of months off. This is the same band that gigs about once a month now. Sometimes we'll go a couple of months without a gig, other times we'll do a couple weeks straight.

• Members

Friday night I'm playing a club I've never played before...http://www.swigbartini.com/.

Saturday I'm back to the place where we're the defacto Fri/Sat houseband.

The music is dance oriented - R & B, Funk, Disco.

Gear? I recently ditched my tubes in favor of a Roland Cube 60 - I love this little technological wonder. All guitarists should be issued one of these when they officially become a geezer, have back problems or stop paying roadies. I'll bring a Gibson Nighthawk and a Godin or a Strat or an Ibanez or something. I always kind of surprise myself at the last minute as far as axes.

I've gigged every weekend for the past year, execpt last weekend (due to a preplanned family issue). It'll be good to be back on stage and it's always fun to play a new place. The only downside is Mrs. CloseEnoughRocks won't be able to join me. :( I think this is the second gig she's missed in about 20 years.

• Members
Originally posted by peavey_impact

As for what we play, original metal music somewhat akin to a mixture of Soilwork/Lamb of God; with the occasional blues and funk jams thrown in for good measure
:thu:

Have any sound clips? I am intrested in what you sound like. Lamb of God is one of my favorites. Soilwork isn't bad either :thu:

I've never played a gig. I got to find some people...

• Members
Originally posted by CloseEnoughRocks

Friday night I'm playing a club I've never played before...
http://www.swigbartini.com/.

Saturday I'm back to the place where we're the defacto Fri/Sat houseband.

The music is dance oriented - R & B, Funk, Disco.

Gear? I recently ditched my tubes in favor of a Roland Cube 60 - I love this little technological wonder. All guitarists should be issued one of these when they officially become a geezer, have back problems or stop paying roadies. I'll bring a Gibson Nighthawk and a Godin or a Strat or an Ibanez or something. I always kind of surprise myself at the last minute as far as axes.

I've gigged every weekend for the past year, execpt last weekend (due to a preplanned family issue). It'll be good to be back on stage and it's always fun to play a new place. The only downside is Mrs. CloseEnoughRocks won't be able to join me.
:(
I think this is the second gig she's missed in about 20 years.

Those Cube 60s are a great amp! I'm still addicted to tubes, but I'm also a geezer. I'm WAY too lazy to carry a 4x12 these days. I'm using a 2x12 now, but the next step is 1x12.... someday. :)

You're a lucky guy that the Mrs. goes to all the gigs. My wife comes to some of them, but only the 'special' ones. I'd love it if she were there.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

I haven't played a gig in over 15 years. But sometime, this year, somehow, somewhere...I will.

~Blackbelt

Sounds like me. I had gigs damn near every week from '81-'88. My last band played 5 or 6 night a week gigs for about a year straight.

The last gig I played was in mid December, 1988.

My new band is booked for April 15th in Nashville.

That's about 17+ years between gigs. Can't wait.

• Members

Those Cube 60s are a great amp! I'm still addicted to tubes, but I'm also a geezer. I'm WAY too lazy to carry a 4x12 these days. I'm using a 2x12 now, but the next step is 1x12.... someday.
:)

You're a lucky guy that the Mrs. goes to all the gigs. My wife comes to some of them, but only the 'special' ones. I'd love it if she were there.

I was also addicted to tubes, but when my tube rig was in the shop AGAIN, I borrowed a Cube 60 for a night. Now the Hot Rod Dlx is gone, the Classic 30 is gone, and The Blues Jr. is relegated to practice amp. I NEVER thought I'd play a gig w/out "the glow", but here I am. Borrow one if you can for a gig sometime, you might end up buying one the next day.

As far as being lucky, you don't know the half of it!! :love:

• Members

Playing a private party this Saturday in Staten Island (and they're predicting 6" of snow no less) but I've been gigging 3 times a month for the last 30+ years so I'm used to all kinds of crap.
Being in a cover band is fun. Years ago we tried the original circuit and found it dull & lifeless, not to mention gig-less. Pain in the ass setting everything up for a 40 minute set. I miss the good old days when we'd be in the same bar Friday & Saturday, nice just leaving the stuff there and bringing my guitars the next night.

• Members
Originally posted by CloseEnoughRocks

The only downside is Mrs. CloseEnoughRocks won't be able to join me.
:(
I think this is the second gig she's missed in about 20 years.

My wife comes to all our gigs too and is always the first one on the dance floor. She helps write the sets and promos the band with the crowd. Only two really crappy dive bars we play she stays home for.

• Members

Closest I come to a gig these days: I'm playing an original song at the annual talent show at the school where I teach. Just some fairly standard three-chord rock (okay, the song is supposed to be funny, but that's not for me to judge). I'm going to use my Nelsonic Deco--it's comfortable, and I won't spend the evening panicking about the possibility of someone touching it.

• Members

Show tomorrow night at my favorite dive (15th St Tavern). Been laying low since November so we are really excited to play out again. All ready booked thru june so this is the start of a good run of shows.

We play stoner rock-ish type of stuff in the vein of Clutch, COC, etc.

Sunn model T, Orange 2x12, Sunn 2x15, two Agile AL's (dont take my gibby to this club), various pedals.

rock on.

• Members

Originally posted by Next to Nothing

Show tomorrow night at my favorite dive (15th St Tavern). Been laying low since November so we are really excited to play out again. All ready booked thru june so this is the start of a good run of shows.

We play stoner rock-ish type of stuff in the vein of Clutch, COC, etc.

Sunn model T, Orange 2x12, Sunn 2x15, two Agile AL's (dont take my gibby to this club), various pedals.

rock on.

That's a cool dive bar! I've only been there one time, but really liked the vibe.

Sounds like a good time.

• Members

That's a cool dive bar! I've only been there one time, but really liked the vibe.

Sounds like a good time.

it does have a great vibe!

I do not think it will be open much longer though now that that big ass Hyatt opened right across the street. I know they are fighting to shut the club down to make that area 'more pleasing'

Will be a bummer to see another icon go away.

Where are you playing in Parker?

• Members

it does have a great vibe!

I do not think it will be open much longer though now that that big ass Hyatt opened right across the street. I know they are fighting to shut the club down to make that area 'more pleasing'

Will be a bummer to see another icon go away.

Where are you playing in Parker?

It's called the "Tailgate Tavern". It's a crazy mix of bikers, young girls (yikes!), and normal looking joes. We've been there a bunch of times, and it never ceases to amaze me how responsive the crowd is. If only it were a little closer to home...

• Members

Friday or Saturday?

I will actually be in Parker on Saturday evening for a party.

Could be a nice stop on the way home for a beer

We'll be there both nights. Stop in if you get an extra minute. I'll buy you a beer.

:)

Archived