What's the worst commercial production you know of?

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

It just seems, on vinyl, all the taped sound FX blended seamlessly into the musical textures.

When listening to a remastered CD, with headphones, I can hear the tape splices of all the "silly" sound FX that were blended into the Beatles' music...

Digital has a way of bringing out the "warts" of an old analogue production. We all here know that.

On the other hand, digital can put me in awe of just what they WERE capable of doing in "the good old days". Like John Hammond's production of Simon & Garfunkel's BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER album.... Those silvery strings on "Bridge"! The dazzling crashing backbeats on "The Boxer" !

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

It just seems, on vinyl, all the taped sound FX blended seamlessly into the musical textures.

When listening to a remastered CD, with headphones, I can hear the tape splices of all the "silly" sound FX that were blended into the Beatles' music...

Digital has a way of bringing out the "warts" of an old analogue production. We all here know that.

On the other hand, digital can put me in awe of just what they WERE capable of doing in "the good old days". Like John Hammond's production of Simon & Garfunkel's BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER album.... Those silvery strings on "Bridge"! The dazzling crashing backbeats on "The Boxer" !

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

• Members

Gawrshk, by no means.

How on earth?

• Members

Wow, dude. You're definitely doing something wrong. hit the button once.

On the topic, the title uses the word production. Are we differentiating the words production from recording? I consider them to be in SOME cases to be two different things.

For instance, with older technology sometimes people may say that it sounds like a rough recording because of the medium, but the production was amazing because of the way people got around their limitations. I just figured I'd throw that out there so we can be sure of what we're talking about. I mean if something sounds horribly lo-fi but thats what you were trying to do then its still a good production right? Or if it sounds really rough fidelity-wise compared to todays standards, but sounded amazing fidelity-wise when it was made, then its still a good production right?

• Members

Originally posted by rasputin1963

You know, parts of SERGEANT PEPPER'S even sound rugged now that they've been brought to the merciless light of digital.

"...that grow so incredibly high....(high)...."

...or the audible a/c on the A Day in the Life fade out, with George Martin saying "Shhhh!"

• Members

From the Wikipedia entry on AJFA:

"And, in one of the more famous of Hetfield and Ulrich's controversies with bassist Jason Newsted, the album almost completely lacks bass guitar. The standard explanation for this combines Newsted's absence from the mixing sessions (where he might have asserted his opinion) and the lingering issue of his "newness" within the band following the tragic death of Cliff Burton in September 1986."

Sad but true? :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...And_Justice_for_All_(album)

• Members

The Killers - Hot Fuss- n some of the songs are pretty cool to. It's too bad that over compression destroyed the album.

I realize many people are over compressing albums these days, but this one is just ridiculous. I keep trying to pop my ears when I listen to it.

The other thing that destroys the album is the last song they included. It sounds it's from a side project and they used it because they needed to fill the album.

• Moderators

If you're talking worst production, Im gonna go for anything by Shania Twain. I did a demo for a cover band today, and they unleashed "Honey, I'm Home" on me. Gave me the original for mix reference.

Good Lord, is THAT the best they can do, w/an unlimited budget and the best engineers/gear/musicians in the world at their disposal? Totally devoid of any substance of ANY kind.

MG

• Members

"And, in one of the more famous of Hetfield and Ulrich's controversies with bassist Jason Newsted, the album almost completely lacks bass guitar. The standard explanation for this combines Newsted's absence from the mixing sessions (where he might have asserted his opinion) and the lingering issue of his "newness" within the band following the tragic death of Cliff Burton in September 1986."

Sad but true? :-)

I don't know, I think it has more to do with the fact that the bass was for the most part playing the exact same thing as the rhythm guitars.

For better or for worse, though, "Justice" certainly was an influential ablum, production-wise and otherwise. I remember the first time I heard a song from it on the radio in the frozen yogurt ship I worked at in high school, and I could actually hear the kick drum through the little speaker. That didn't happen too often.

I rarely listen to "production" when I'm listening to music, so the production has to be either really bad or really odd for me to take notice, and while I find "Vapor Trails" difficult to listen to I'd have to say that "St Anger" takes the cake...

-Duardo

• Members

Originally posted by MarkGifford-1

If you're talking worst production, Im gonna go for anything by Shania Twain. I did a demo for a cover band today, and they unleashed "Honey, I'm Home" on me. Gave me the original for mix reference.

Good Lord, is THAT the best they can do, w/an unlimited budget and the best engineers/gear/musicians in the world at their disposal? Totally devoid of any substance of ANY kind.

MG

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Mutt Lange for ya?

• Members

I was listening to Sgt. Pepper's recently a little more critically. Is it just me or is that mix just plain weird??? Vocals or instruments panned hard left or right etc. What is he doing??? And how does it come out sounding so good with such a wierd mix? I just cant seem to make any logical sense of that album. From everything I read here and other places, things Martin does on that album are just plain wrong.... But damned if it doesn't sound great.... Within you Without you is just jaw dropping. Lots of tricky instruments recorded and mixed to perfection.

But I digress..

Well, since I wondered off, here's another off topic point....

Seeing the word's, "Digitally Remastered" on any classic album just makes me twitch. :mad: