Never mind the relics, here's the "Bastard Caster"

voneville

• Members

1999 MIK Affinity Squire with GFS Vintage Wound P-90.

bastardcaster.jpg

Originally I was going to make a new body out of better wood so this was just a testing platform to see if I liked the P-90. When I was chiseling the hole for the P-90 (too lazy to use my router) the factory plastic-coat finish shattered. I found out the finish comes off really easy once you have a starting point. So I scraped most of the paint off using my chisel. After plugging it in and being amazed at the sound I started thinking about a refinish... But I have to admit, it's growing on me. I have almost enough spare parts to build another Tele, so maybe that will be in the future. In the mean time I'll keep offending purists and other upstanding citizens with good taste :)

Let the flames begin! Mwa-hahaha.

• Members
Originally posted by leftystratman

can you post close-up pics of the pickup cavities??

I could, but it's kinda like sitting in the front row of a really dodgy strip club, you won't like what you see :) And yes, I already know the pole pieces don't line up. It doesn't make any difference with my playing style.

bastardp90.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Pat Inferno

Keep it, everyone has pretty guitars, and there is something about this guitar that makes it look badass hell. If anything, maybe put a clear protective coat on it.

Protect it from what? The only thing it need protection from is voneville. Name it Hillary.

• Members
Originally posted by Treborklow

Protect it from what? The only thing it need protection from is voneville. Name it Hillary.

Pronounced Von Eve-elll, that's how evil I am. I figure I am just helping the resale value of mint condition MIK Affinity Squires (one less resellable one on the market, so that means there's only like 5,999,999 out there now :)

• Members
Originally posted by String Fever

:thu:

I LIKE IT!!!!

Maybe a sticker or two though?
:cool:

I'm working on it, most of my unused stickers I collected over the years are collectables now though, and I don't like many current bands. I'm pirating pics of the internet and going to glue them to the guitar, and then mod podge it!

• Members

I took it to band practice tonight. It sounds awesome, but I had to turn the gain way down or it screeched like you wouldn't believe! Very clear though, no mud what so ever. And for all the talk about P-90's being noisy I was pleasently surprised. I don't know if the paint is shielded on affinity guitars, but most of the paint was removed for the pickup install, so my guitar has virtually no shielding in the pickup area. Yea, I couldn't crank the gain like I would on a humbucker, but it didn't need it to sound good. Through the clear channel on a B-52 (the rehersal studio's amp, not mine) I had my DS-1 set at tone 12 o'clock, volume at 12 o'clock, and distortion at 3 o'clock. It sounded a lot like the late 70's british punk sound. Before practice I was messing around and got some cool black sabbath sounds (tone rolled way back). I also got a fairly convincing early metallica sound (because someone said you can't play metal through a P-90).

Archived