gibson bridge thumbwheels... how do YOU turn them?

bluesboy

• Members

Just curious... when I setup gibson string height i tune way down, raise the thumbwheels with my fingers, tune back up, and check where im at... my friend says he uses needle nose plyers and turns them without tuning down... how does everyone else here do it?

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

Just curious... when I setup gibson string height i tune way down, raise the thumbwheels with my fingers, tune back up, and check where im at... my friend says he uses needle nose plyers and turns them without tuning down... how does everyone else here do it?

That'll pretty much change your intonation every time.

• Members

Your friend is an idiot.

• Members

Originally posted by markas214

Your friend is an idiot.

why be so harsh? Other people here have used pliers too... i see you aren't calling them idiots. ANyways, how exactly does gibson use a crowbar?! BTW, epiphones do have the screw in the post which makes things much easier... also, their bridge pieces are steeper, so you can have the stopbar at a decent height without the strings touching the back of the bridge. I find that gibson bridge saddles are lower, and you have to raise the stopbar higher.

• Members

why be so harsh? to raise the stopbar higher.

I wasn't being harsh to the poster. I should have went further though. Using a pliers is asking for a huge gouge in your guitar plus it will mangle the thumb wheels. His friend is either stupid or lazy.

• Members

...how does everyone else here do it?

with the strings loosend up a touch and my fingers....taking metal tools/implements to your guitar like your friend does is an invitation to some painfull damage

Archived