Is This the Success Model of the Future for Musicians?-

sventvkg

• Members

The music buisness is only the canary in a coal mine ; Our leaders and governing bodys are not able to respond to the pace of change .... If you look at the way the three branches were set up , the founders Didn't want it to be easy to make changes ( Checks and balances ) But now , hundreds of years later with lobbiest , corporate oligarcy and High tech , Some nimble governance would be great . It's OK for you and I to throw up our hands and say F it , It'l just be a hobby , but for the big picture and the future ( and for future generations well being ) some how , some where some changes are going to HAVE to be made !!!

http://www.markmonitor.com/pressreleases/2011/pr110111.php

SAN FRANCISCO, January 11, 2011 – A sampling of only 22 brands revealed that websites offering pirated digital content and counterfeit goods generate more than 53 billion visits per year, according to a study released today by MarkMonitor®, the global leader in enterprise brand protection. Sites offering pirated digital content draw the lion’s share of the 53 billion annual visits while sites selling counterfeit goods, including
prescription drugs
and luxury goods, generate more than 92 million visits per year. The amount of traffic generated by these sites as well as the range of locations used to host and register them indicates the complexity in finding a solution to the global problem of online piracy and counterfeiting.

Global piracy affects a wide range of digital content, including
movies, music, games, software, television shows and e-books
while the trade in counterfeit goods online touches almost every item, including apparel, footwear, electronics, luxury items, sports merchandise and pharmaceuticals. MarkMonitor estimates the worldwide economic impact of online piracy and counterfeiting at $200 billion annually.

Also see.......http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2010/101214/101214_martin.html

• Members

I get that the music business needs to change, so that artist can start making art, and doing less business..... But how is that effected by pirated music? Anyone on HC is probably not effected by people downloading music on the internet. I'm just trying to see watch connection the two have, and pirated music really affects you?

• Members

Well there should probably be a division of labor in here somewhere .....

My point is that WE ARE NOT SUPERMEN!!!!

Even the most talented only has so many hours in a day and so much vim and vigor ... Spread your self too thin and guess what ? the quality of the product produced ( or some aspect of it ) is going to suffer . IT"S INEVITABLE .

The jack of all trades is THE MASTER OF NONE.

Were going to get a greater quanity of lesser quality stuff ..... Progress????

You're not a superman. Neither am I. Know who is? James Cameron. Also? Sam Cooke. As was Andy Warhol. And Dolly Parton. And Dr. Dre.

Great business sense & great artistic sense are not mutually exclusive. And people that have both tend to make great art. You know why? Cause they're smart and know how to deliver the goods. Hell - Madonna is almost entirely a creature of business and she has as good a shot at immortality as any artist to come along in the last 30 yearas.

The boom in recorded music from 1955 to 2000 meant you could be television-shooting-crazy lake Elvis but find your way to the top or eke out a living somewhere in the middle cause you were talented and good looking. Think Axl Rose. Think Kurt Cobain. Johnny Cash.

There was money to be made so serious minded people were willing to go out of their way to find & offer financial support to launch the careers of these types of people. David Geffen could reasonably looked at a scruffy bunch of model-molesting LA Sewer Ratts and SAY: Here's $200,000 - go make a record, we'll put a picture of a woman getting raped by an Alien on the cover and see what happens: Appetite of Destruction baby...

What I think will happen is you are going to have to be able to get further along in your carreer on your own, as a self-sustaining business venture, before a guy like Geffen comes along to offer you assistance.

You're business sense is gonna have to be as sharp as your artistic sense to break into the lower ranks of music. Used to be most successful artists figured out the business end of things after they already made it.

I think it's telling that the two people at the top of the music industry right now are famously shrewd or the protege's of famously shrewd people: Eminem & Lady Gaga.

• Members

I get that the music business needs to change, so that artist can start making art, and doing less business..... But how is that effected by pirated music? Anyone on HC is probably not effected by people downloading music on the internet. I'm just trying to see watch connection the two have, and pirated music really affects you?

It is a ripple effect that reached downward. Here's how it affects everyone:

1) it cheapens music by introducing into the public psyche that music should be free. In just 6 years, I have seen live music clubs abandon cover charges because people piss and moan about paying 5 dollars to see a band. While pirating music may not create that attitude, it certainly reinforces it. Do we really need more of a sense of entitlement in our culture than we already have?

2) it makes it nearly impossible for new bands breaking big to succeed financially. Once a band becomes popular to the hipster crowd, their music gets stolen. Since new bands rely heavily on selling CDs and merch for survival, and since the gigs pay next to nothing and road costs keep rising, taking away music sales from them makes touring less and less a viable option. I actually had a guy hand me a burned CDR of one of my CDs with photocopied sleeve and ask me to autograph it!

3) it makes record companies even less likely to sign any acts except ones who can make tons of money, which means they'll keep churning out generic pop, country or hip hop. That goes for indie labels, too. Records don't grow on trees. Good ones take money and time to produce, and while the musicians may work for peanuts, the rest of the people in the industry don't. Therefore, high volume sellers who can make money in spite of piracy make the company money, but development of new artists is becoming a thing of the past, see #2 for the reason why.

4) the idea that you're 'sticking it to the big corporation' when you steal music is a straw man. You're really sticking it to the band, because a label recording is essentially a loan. The company fronts the band the record and they have to pay it back. If they can't, there won't be a second record. You get your free music, the band gets cut from the label and the record company signs a more 'safe' band who can earn them a fatter return. So, who loses? The band who got cut, that's who.

• Members

LOL! I think it's telling that the most popular hamburger in the US is found at McDonalds.

As an aside - it is possible that the next great recorded masterpiece may come from a musician with a day job who does music part time for fun... because the guys doing it full time are too busy on Facebook and Twitter to put the time in recording it. Then again, we might not hear it unless it has a cute chick and a YouTube video.

Not that there's anything wrong with cute chicks.

• Members

LOL! I think it's telling that the most popular hamburger in the US is found at McDonalds.

As an aside - it is possible that the next great recorded masterpiece may come from a musician with a day job who does music part time for fun... because the guys doing it full time are too busy on Facebook and Twitter to put the time in recording it.

LOL but fan engagement is the future man! You need to make every fan feel special even at the price of your quality of life. If they think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, maybe they'll think about you for 3-4 seconds until another band makes them feel even more special.

• Members

LOL but fan engagement is the future man! You need to make every fan feel special even at the price of your quality of life. If they think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, maybe they'll think about you for 3-4 seconds until another band makes them feel even more special.

Bootlickers are the future of music man !!!!

Pay the fans to come to your shows !

Send limos to pick them up !!!

Get them hookers ( or gigilos) and drugs !!!!!

Give them I-pods with your tunes preloaded ( + thousands more from other bands for good measure !!)

It's a can't lose strategy!!!!

• Members

You're not a superman. Neither am I. Know who is? James Cameron. Also? Sam Cooke. As was Andy Warhol. And Dolly Parton. And Dr. Dre.

Don't believe that for a second dude;

They are/were giants but you can bet your booty they had some help . There were folks behind the scenes; they don't/didn't get the publicity , but they were instrumental.... always are.

No man or woman is an island.

• Members

Yea that's the problem I have with it all. It's complete and utter bull{censored}.

Archived