Question: aging techniques?

henk

• Members

What are some good techniques to age guitar hardware, pickguard and finish? I have a tele that could use some mojo. I'd like to do some experimenting, like yellowing the pickquard for instance, maybe give the metal parts and the finish a more worn look.

Anyone?

• Members

Brown shoe polish for aging lacquer. salty water for metal parts - brush on, leave until corroded suitable, rinse off. Alternatively you could use a very fine sand paper to replicate wear through the finish.

Just IMO, but corroded metal parts look :freak: to me on a guitar, however a little wear is tolerable. I do like gently yellowed lacquer on necks and creamy white finish on bodies. However 'relic-ing' knocks and dings are just dumb on a new guitar.

• Members

Good pickguard aging method... tea bags! Good cheap ass tea bags is all that's needed.

Strip the 'guard of any hardware and take off the protective plastic.

Get a pyrex dish large enough to hold the guard. Stick in a couple of tea bags (2 for a tele, 3 for a strat) and pour in BOILING water. Wait for about 30-40 minutes for it to cool and mix well. Shove in your pickguard and come back tomorrow. Should be nicely aged. Just wash it with fairy liqued to get the sticky feeling off, dry it off and you're done. You can do that for any white plastic parts too, knobs and such.

• Members
Originally posted by satannica

Just wash it with fairy liqued to get the sticky feeling off, dry it off and you're done.

Just don't use sweet tea and it won't be sticky. :eek::freak::D

Coffee will also work but I hear that using Starbucks will produce the best tone.

I've also heard of people using nitrocellulose to age pickguards but I'm not sure how this works.

Archived