Rememeber me? Ben Duncan I have an idea

BenDuncan

• Members

hey. i had a thread in here a wile ago, about me and my first album. I high as {censored} on atavan right now so i hope this makes trhed maks sense. anyway, there have been some very bad events that went on recently and forced me to stop working on the album until i was out of the hospital. but now im back, I gained 90lbs from what happened so i need to loose that before my album comes out, im back to qriting though. Im thinkin the album will be aout in less than 6 months just an update for you

i just thought of this and think its great but when im on atavan that happens and later it turnsout to suck. Heres my idea, with my album i would like to include a second dvd with the full album on it. when the songs play there are videos of me when i was recording it. but the best part it would have commentary, like a movie, The album plays and i talk about it who played that part, what guitars amsp i used for that part, what the songs are about... what do you think?

• Members

Well, it sounds a bit wonkish and self-indulgent to me. What do you mean by 'fans'? Do you have a huge following, or are you defining 'fans' as anyone who happens to give you a listen? A huge following might be somewhat interested in a 'how I did it behind the scenes' thing, but if no one knows who you are, they likely aren't going to care.

• Members

I don't think it's a crazy idea at ALL, and I think your original idea is best - release a CD and include the DVD as a free bonus. If people don't care, they'll toss it. I would add one thing, though - a bunch of people who buy the CD will at least check out the first 5 minutes of the DVD. You've got 5 minutes to get them interested. I'd say make them laugh. If I were going to do this, I'd make everything funny. And I'd include me screwing up solos and stuff like that. If you make it entertaining, more people will enjoy it, which is better word of mouth. If you talk about what kind of tubes you use in your amp, no one gives a crap. I don't, and I'm a guitar player.

No one wants the nerdy details, even other nerds, unless you're in a world class studio. So "Look, I used this POD 2 and I used setting 2B on this solo" is going to have people reaching for the stop button faster than a jack rabbit on a date. The human element is what people would be interested in. Can the nerd idea and make something funny and also a little informative and you have something.

daddymack is right, though - If I wanted to make a 60 minute DVD of me recording a CD, it would take months worth of getting all the footage, and weeks worth of storyboarding, editing, titling, correcting color, and so on and so forth. Big ass investment in time. Might be fun, though.

• Members

I don't think it's a crazy idea at ALL, and I think your original idea is best - release a CD and include the DVD as a free bonus. If people don't care, they'll toss it. I would add one thing, though - a bunch of people who buy the CD will at least check out the first 5 minutes of the DVD. You've got 5 minutes to get them interested. I'd say make them laugh. If I were going to do this, I'd make everything funny. And I'd include me screwing up solos and stuff like that. If you make it entertaining, more people will enjoy it, which is better word of mouth. If you talk about what kind of tubes you use in your amp, no one gives a crap. I don't, and I'm a guitar player.

No one wants the nerdy details, even other nerds, unless you're in a world class studio. So "Look, I used this POD 2 and I used setting 2B on this solo" is going to have people reaching for the stop button faster than a jack rabbit on a date. The human element is what people would be interested in. Can the nerd idea and make something funny and also a little informative and you have something.

daddymack is right, though - If I wanted to make a 60 minute DVD of me recording a CD, it would take months worth of getting all the footage, and weeks worth of storyboarding, editing, titling, correcting color, and so on and so forth. Big ass investment in time. Might be fun, though.

Hah, thanks for warning me, I probably would of gone on and on about amps tubes and such.

Archived