Fender Texas Special question.

fragglerick

• Members

I agree. That's not the only time that I've seen two spots on the H.C. user reviews where they are critiquing the same instrument under a slightly different reference name.

There is one set for tele and one set for strats, other than that, there's no other divisions.

• Members

I notice from Fender's website that the Tex Mex's are (slightly) hotter than the Tex Specials. Has anyone compared the tones of the two? It might have been on that site that compared a bunch of pickups, but I lost the link.

My current long-term project plans are to turn an FSR Blue Mexi Strat into and SRV-like machine. I don't mind spending the extra bucks if the specials are worth it.

• Members

Originally posted by Fiverz

My current long-term project plans are to turn an FSR Blue Mexi Strat into and SRV-like machine. I don't mind spending the extra bucks if the specials are worth it.

I installed a set of TS on a 60's RI strat MIJ and I never have regretted it. I like their tone. Very strat like but not thin sounding.

• Members

I have Texas specials on one of my Strats...I couldn't take the bridge pup "It wasn't me" so I replaced it with a SD-Alnico II single coil...Texas Specials are a hit or miss with everyone...some people like them, some people hate them...I'm not crazy about them...I think Fat-50's would have been a wiser choice for me.

Anyway I have a Tele with Tex Mex pups...I have no plans to ever replace them...I like the tone and power they have.

• Members

I have TSs in my James Burton Tele. Great tone.
I have TSs in my SRV Strat. Great tone.

Completely different tones, though, so the TS name is a bit misleading imho.

I have some TM pickups in two strats: the JV Sig and a US Strat Plus. Great tone as well, but way different. More versatile, too.

If you want SRV tone, then the TSs are what you are looking for. My SRV strat through a Fender Blues Junior nails it.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

I have TSs in my James Burton Tele. Great tone.

I have TSs in my SRV Strat. Great tone.

Completely different tones, though, so the TS name is a bit misleading imho.

I have some TM pickups in two strats: the JV Sig and a US Strat Plus. Great tone as well, but way different. More versatile, too.

If you want SRV tone, then the TSs are what you are looking for. My SRV strat through a Fender Blues Junior nails it.

Why do you say the T-Ms are more versatile? This axe might get put into use for alot of cleans/low distortion lead situations if it sounds good enough. Stock mexicans haven't done what I've needed them to in the past.

Originally posted by danbomb

The secret to texas specials is to adjust them very low- almost even with the pickguard. They sound better low but there are better choices for the same money.

What would you suggest in their place? Some sort of custom wound set?

• Members

Originally posted by Fiverz

Why do you say the T-Ms are more versatile? This axe might get put into use for alot of cleans/low distortion lead situations if it sounds good enough. Stock mexicans haven't done what I've needed them to in the past.

Because in my admitedly limited experience, the TSs in my SRV strats are usually used for Blues stuff, and pretty much not much else. I have other strats that handle rythm work for example with not as much of a "personality" coming through in terms of tone... it may be a personal thing.

As for the T-Ms, I heard that they were US pickups shipped over there. Not sure if it's true or not, but the JV strat kicks serious booty regardless of its geographical origins.

• Members
Originally posted by danbomb

The secret to texas specials is to adjust them very low- almost even with the pickguard. They sound better low but there are better choices for the same money.

Agreed. Texas Specials do one thing well: play very loud without squealing. They don't have much high-end chime, though. If you're looking for sweet Strat sounds or in-between-quack, look elsewhere. Texas Specials are wound about as hot as any Strat pickup anywhere before you start getting into P-90 territory.

• Members

Well, spent some major time fooling around with pickup height today and did manage to get sweeter sounds out of my Texas Specials. I found that ,for me, the neck and middle pickup sound nice about 1/8" up form the pickguard, while I have the bridge pickup at about 3/16". I currently use GHS 10s, although I prefer the tone of heavier strings my fingers just can't take them anymore. I also pulled out my old Boss FZ-2, and using just the gain boost really sounded nice through my old Bassman.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

If any of you guys find or know of an article containing details about the design and reasons behind the Tex Mex pickups, please post it here or email it to me.

Fender customer support is not near as good as Gibson's. I can find an email link for fender customer service anywhere on the site.

• Members

Originally posted by etvetv2001

If any of you guys find or know of an article containing details about the design and reasons behind the Tex Mex pickups, please post it here or email it to me.

Fender customer support is not near as good as Gibson's. I can find an email link for fender customer service anywhere on the site.

Fender likes to keep its phone numbers and email addresses under lock and key.

Need their number?

• Members

There is a difference between the TS you buy on say, a Texas Special strat, and the ones you buy in a box. Out of the box they have the vintage stagger, with the G pole way high. If you look at the set used on a production model with a 9.5 or 12" neck they're staggered differently, a more modern stagger. I expect that's the reason used ones sell for as much as new on Ebay.

Archived