Canadicans 357 (brokerage info)

BigBone

• Members

Isn't the brokerage fee the fee paid to the shipper (UPS, DHL, FedEx, or other broker) to process the shipment through customs?

Does marking a package 'gift' get you out of paying customs duties?

Do you pay brokerage fees for packages sent through the postal service?

• Members

Yeah, with USPS it's just a handling fee plus whatever taxes you owe (unless it's a gift). Takes longer but can save you bundles.

UPS is by far the worst. They take approximately 15% ON TOP of the taxes, just for signing a {censored}ing form.

Makes me angry. :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

Yeah, with USPS it's just a handling fee plus whatever taxes you owe (unless it's a gift). Takes longer but can save you bundles.

So items sent USPS and marked as gift are only charged a $5 handling fee and no taxes? I just want to confirm this because I had heard otherwise and it seems like such an obvious loophole that it would have been closed by now.

• Members

Originally posted by ending_zero

So items sent USPS and marked as gift are only charged a $5 handling fee and no taxes? I just want to confirm this because I had heard otherwise and it seems like such an obvious loophole that it would have been closed by now.

In my experience, yes.

However, sometimes, customs will just throw you a loop for no good reason.

:confused:

• Members

Once I shipped sth to States, it worth $280, Fedex wanted to charge me $40 for f*cking brokerage. Even ship to States!

So I called them and claimed it's only worth $180, and everything's ok after that.

Damn those carriers. I like Canadapost and US Postal service

• Members

Originally posted by supercow3

Why would they charged you and not the person you are shipping to?

They said they could not contact the buyer so they had to charge me otherwise they would ship it back to me. The parcel had been stuck at the border for at least one week until I found out by myself (checked the tracking info). Those bastards.

• Members

Originally posted by expertune

They said they could not contact the buyer so they had to charge me otherwise they would ship it back to me. The parcel had been stuck at the border for at least one week until I found out by myself (checked the tracking info). Those bastards.

and ups and fedex claim to have "competative" rates.....riiiiight

Archived