School me on picks

flatfacerincone

• Members

Originally posted by flatfacerincone

How do different kinds affect your tone? In terms of materials, (tortex vs. plastic, ect,) gauges, and actual size of your pick?

Just something ive always wanted to know, and i'm too lazy to go out and experiment myself.
:thu:

would you rather listen to our "hype" or find out on your own?

I've heard people say that Tortex sucks, the tone sucks, the feel sucks etc

but I love em

I've also heard a lot of praise for celluloid

I think they're too slippery

I like nylon though, but they're too bendy

you need to try em out on yer own

• Members

I used tortex for years and recently switched to celluloid Fender extra heavy.

I got some new Planet Wave Suregrip picks free with my last order from MF and I'm really liking them. I may switch to them.

I'm so fickle.

• Members

Maybe the lamest post ever?:freak:

I don't think this is something you can get opinions on, I agree -- you have to try them out for yourself.

I prefer the orange .60mm Dunlop Tortex. They grip well, hold up for a long time, and the thickness is right for what I like to play which is hard rock/metalish stuff.

The next lightest, the yellow, are to thin and don't pop the string hard enough for me. I can't remember the color, but the next up the chain is to thick, doesn't move off the string as easy, I feel like I'm going to break strings with it. The orange are just like the little bears bed, just right!

• Members

I mainly use the small fender extra heavy ones or dunlop Jazz 2 or 3's. I think I got onto the small picks reading an interview with Danny Gatton years ago.

I like the attack and the control I get from them.

For strumming chords or playing straight rhythm, I prefer those big triangular picks. There's a lot to hold on to, and I can get a very percussive sound with them. They've also got the benefit of extra points if you break off a chunk in the middle of a song. I think I'm the only person on the planet who uses them.

• Members

I don't like tortex's at all

I like pickboy picks, any one of their 1 mm that has holes in it

Also nylon pickboy's, or plastic or celluloid

I just like them because they are more responsive to me, i feel the string response more than with tortex

i want to try herco nylon picks

Honestly, they cost very little so it doesn't hurt to try them out and see.

• Members

The best way to really find out is to try them all yourself. I hate the thin tortex picks (anything less than 1.0mm is horrible for me), but I love big stubbies and the gator grips.

It's all subjective and each person has their own opinions.

So quit being lazy and scrounge up some change and try some out for youself! :cool:

• Members

I just discovered these triangular picks -- I really like them as well. I've used all kinds of picks, but I lean to light to medium guage -- heavy guage picks seem to bounce around in my hands.

Originally posted by aclarke

For strumming chords or playing straight rhythm, I prefer those big triangular picks. There's a lot to hold on to, and I can get a very percussive sound with them. They've also got the benefit of extra points if you break off a chunk in the middle of a song. I think I'm the only person on the planet who uses them.

• Members

For most of the stuff I play, I like to use a thin pick (.46mm) unless I'm playing rythm stuff then I use a thicker pick or my fingers.

Picks are cheap, go out and buy a bunch and try them out. See which one you like and what works best for you.

Recently I've been using Planet Waves Picks made by D'Addario the are 25 for five bucks. How can you go wrong?

• Members

I'm a big fan of green Tortex. I like those little red Dunlop Jazz picks too...gotta remember to pick some up soon.

Does anyone like soft picks? I've never understood the benefit of a really flexible pick - personally, I don't feel like I can generate enough attack on rythym playing with them or get any feel with speed. Really really thick picks do make me feel like I'm breaking me strings though.

• Members

I am stuck on celluloid, because that's what I grew up with. Celluloid (to me) feels right, feels like a guitar pick. I like the way celluloid wears. I like the way it feels and looks. I wish it had a smell, because, if it did, I'm sure I would love it!

• Members

Originally posted by guitarNed

I am stuck on celluloid, because that's what I grew up with. Celluloid (to me) feels right, feels like a guitar pick. I like the way celluloid wears. I like the way it feels and looks. I wish it had a smell, because, if it did, I'm sure I would love it!

give it your own smell!

i spray mine with finger ease. don't know why...

• Members

Originally posted by metallica_00

Does anyone like soft picks? I've never understood the benefit of a really flexible pick - personally, I don't feel like I can generate enough attack on rythym playing with them or get any feel with speed. Really really thick picks do make me feel like I'm breaking me strings though.

Acoustic. I use heavy 1.0mm nylons for most of my electric playing. But I found they do NOT go well with an acoustic. I bought some Fender .50mm nylons, they sound perfect on acoustic. They voice the strings evenly and sound fantastic. The flex makes them perfect for strumming acoustics.

• Members

I played the Tortex picks forever. I used a green .88 for the longest time, then decided to try different picks - all tortex - down to the .5mm. After all that, what I really like is a Fender medium celluloid. It just feels good.

• Members

haha, maybe i shouldve worded my original post a bit differently. I do plan on going and trying out a zillion different picks eventually, but theres nowhere i can buy them in town and i dont have a liscence, making getting out to GC a hassle.

Basically i just wanted your guys' opinions, preferences, and whatever. And info on how they affect tone, ect.

• Members

Originally posted by aclarke

I mainly use the small fender extra heavy ones or dunlop Jazz 2 or 3's. I think I got onto the small picks reading an interview with Danny Gatton years ago.

I like the attack and the control I get from them.

I have a bass player friend who uses those big triangles. They're wierd; it looks like they could also be used to flick at hecklers as a martial arts instrument of death.

:p

I like the jazz 2's, also. But I switch to a typical fender medium if I know I'll be doing a lot of chording.

• Members

I like the Dunlop Jazz III for my electric. Small size seems to give me a better feel for which string I'm at.

Acoustic I prefer the Tortex 1.0 mm. Gives me a nice sound and they feel right when strumming.

And I went through about 20 different pick style/shape/thicknesses to find the two that I like! Too bad they are the most expensive ones they carry at the Mom & Pop Shop! (a whoppin' $.60 each!)

L8R

Raths

• Members

I'm rather fickle when it comes to picks really, I chop and change regularly. I have been going up in thickness and currently use 2.0mm of various types.

Oh and I do the knife scoring thing to most picks that are a bit slippery.

Archived