Tele Thinlines...

mr.fat_chops

• Members

just picked one up used, yesturday. i like the poop out of it... but the freatboard radius sucks (knew it would be that way)... so, i'm taking it in to get the frets pulled out, super talls put in and re-radiused (maybe 9.5-10")...

gimme your thought on all this... crazy? not so crazy? any better advice?...

• Members

Check out the pics of my "90s thinline telecaster" on the Telecaster Appreciation Thread.

It's basically a 90s standard tele with a double bound ash thinline body. That means:

22 fret, 9.5" radius, med. frets

4 bolt w/ micro-tilt (ok this is useless :D)

6 saddle string through bridge

"no load" tone control (surprisingly useful)

:thu:

• Members

i've thought about the warmoth route. i dunno; i spent a lot of money getting THIS very guitar... and i like the neck (1piece, skunk stripe, bullet truss, glossy and all the fender logos)... if i get a warmoth, i toss all that poop poo out the door...

but, i'm thinking...

• Members

Originally posted by mr.fat_chops

so, i'm taking it in to get the frets pulled out, super talls put in and re-radiused (maybe 9.5-10")...

just checked out warmoth... if you have the neck glossed (or vintage tinted), it gets pricey. one that's comparable looks like cloer to $300... ouchy.

How much do you expect to pay for a re-fret AND a re-radius? :confused:

Before you dismiss the Warmoth idea, maybe do some homework (especially for NYC prices).

Expect to pay $150-200 for the refret alone!

http://members.tripod.com/banjoist/2003priceguide.htm

http://www.guitarrepair.com/rates.html#Refret

• Members

yeah, those logos kill. they're probably a licensed-job where a cut goes to the original company...

still, about warmoth... the re-fret/radius would run $250. a warmoth neck that matches the look of what i got is 300, plus i think i still have to give my tech something to put it together (i don't know how to do a nut-job).

maybe i shoulda' just found someone with a used body rather than the whole guitar... i'm incline to just get a cheaper nech that does the trick (no laquer, 2 pieces etc)...

so... how do i go about it to keep to my budget of $250???

• Members

yeah, those logos kill. they're probably a licensed-job where a cut goes to the original company...

still, about warmoth... the re-fret/radius would run $250. a warmoth neck that matches the look of what i got is 300, plus i think i still have to give my tech something to put it together (i don't know how to do a nut-job).

maybe i shoulda' just found someone with a used body rather than the whole guitar... i'm incline to just get a cheaper nech that does the trick (no laquer, 2 pieces etc)...

so... how do i go about it to keep to my budget of $250???

I don't like the idea of radically and irreversibly altering a perfectly good stock neck on a whim for an uncertain result, when for $50 more you can have TWO necks:

the original (for the next buyer, or for you when you get tired of the high frets and flat radius)

AND the high quality Warmoth.

If you really have to keep your budget down (as Tweedledee already pointed out) SELL the stock neck on Ebay and apply the proceeds to the Warmoth neck.

Again WHICH Thinline model do you have here? AN MIA Tele neck might pay for the Warmoth neck (with change).

• Members

it's MIM, light blue (think jeff beck, or is that surf green?), 2 humbuckers, perloid pick guard, volume, tone... etc., it's the 72' reissue...

i got a pretty descent deal on it (tweed case, graphite saddles, strap locks, the whole shot)... i decided to get the cheaper of the 2 guitars i wanted in case i wanted to modify anything...

you think anyone's gonna want an ols MIM neck??...

• Members

it's MIM, light blue (think jeff beck, or is that surf green?), 2 humbuckers, perloid pick guard, volume, tone... etc., it's the 72' reissue...

i got a pretty descent deal on it (tweed case, graphite saddles, strap locks, the whole shot)... i decided to get the cheaper of the 2 guitars i wanted in case i wanted to modify anything...

you think anyone's gonna want an ols MIM neck??...

The MIM neck maybe would get you $75-100. So, you should ask yourself if it is worth putting $250 worth of work into a $75 neck.

Or, does it make more sense to pay $50 more and have a new, much better neck than your shaved and refretted used MIM?

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

you can have TWO necks:

the original (for the next buyer)

i think this is more important than most people are most people here seem to... being able to put it back to stock is well worth it...

• Members

Originally posted by T3

i think this is more important than most people are most people here seem to... being able to put it back to stock is well worth it...

Agreed.

I'm just not getting mr.fat_chops' reasoning... :(

Here is mine, FWIW:

If you have decided to sock an extra $250 into a guitar by having work done on its ($75) neck, you end up with one highly modified, used, way out-of-stock-spec neck (now worth less than $75) to show for it.

For an additional $50 (total of $300), you end up with a spanking new, luthiery-perfect made-to-order Warmoth neck accepted by Fender and the guitar-buying world as an "approved" swap, AND you get to keep the stock neck in original condition.

By getting the Warmoth, it is almost as though you are getting the original stock neck as an "extra" for the $50 difference.

So...

It seems to me that Tele Thinline neck in excellent condition for $50 is a BARGAIN!

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Agreed.

I'm just not getting fat's reasoning...
:(

Here is mine, FWIW:

If you have decided to sock an extra $250 into a guitar by having work done on its ($75) neck, you end up with one highly modified, used, way out-of-stock-spec neck to show for it.

For an additional $50 (total of $300), you end up with a spanking new, luthiery-perfect made-to-order Warmoth neck accepted by Fender and the guitar-buying world as an "approved" swap, AND you get to keep the stock neck in original condition.

By getting the Warmoth, it is almost as though you are getting the original stock neck as an "extra" for the $50 difference.

So...

It seems to me that a $50 Tele Thinline neck is excellent condition is a BARGAIN!

:wave:

Yeah, this is a bumb thread. It's one of those, "If ya wanna go ahead and do that, be my guest, but it's a dumb idea."

It's like when someone asks for advice and they really don't care about what your advice is.

I hate that.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

Yeah, this is a bumb thread. It's one of those, "If ya wanna go ahead and do that, be my guest, but it's a dumb idea."

It's like when someone asks for advice and they really don't care about what your advice is.

I hate that.

naw, the question/thread's not THAT dumb. since we're talking about the ball-park of $300... i think the issue's worth "looking" into... i'm the one that has to play the guitar AND/or shell out the money.

also, my mind is NOT made up, yet. my tech's looking at the guitar monday night... he seems to be of the same opinion as you all. i'm gonna try to get used to the guitar first (though bends past 1-step seem useless)... and then i have to see what the cost will be FINALLY...

it's not so cut and dry... i like the neck i have now (the warmoth, overall, doesn't "speak to me")... hell, eric johnson did the very same thing to his 54'-strat for my same reasons...

you guys are very persuasive/logical... that picture someone posted was helpful, too...

• Members

FWIW #...10: I agree that this thread is worth consideration. Its just that you are much more ambitious that me. I love teles, particularly thinlines, but I don't like the necks (just personal). Sounds like a second neck would be the way to go. You could always sell the extra neck. If your re-fret/altered radius doesn't turn out so good, what do you have left? Maybe a failed experiment? BUT, good things do come out of experimentation. Best wishes.

JC

Archived