Tele Thinlines...

mr.fat_chops

• Members

Originally posted by catahoulajc

FWIW #...10:

If your re-fret/altered radius doesn't turn out so good, what do you have left? Maybe a failed experiment?

JC

A failed $250 experiment AND a need for a $300 new neck = $550.

Put $250 into a $75 stock used MIM neck, remove wood, reconfigure, and what do you have?

A $50 heavily modded non-stock neck. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Put $250 into a $75 stock used MIM neck, remove wood, reconfigure, and what do you have?

A $50 heavily modded non-stock neck.
;)

no wood gets removed (so, no compromise of integrity/strength)... just new, taller frets get put it in and radiused flatter. it would mean a taller fret at the edges of the fretboard and lower fret down the middle. doesn't sound that bad...

i do worry about the premise premise of a "failed experimnet", though... that would suck.

• Members

A $50 heavily modded non-stock neck.
;)

ok... ?how about THIS idea?... stewmac has replacemet neck that i like more: cheaper ($120), neck is finished, nut is already slotted, 21 frets (don't want the 22) and no holes drilled (my tech can put in the 3-holes i need for my thin- line)...

that'd be in the budget and prett much the feel/look i want...

• Members

Originally posted by mr.fat_chops

ok... ?how about THIS idea?... stewmac has replacemet neck that i like more: cheaper ($120), neck is finished, nut is already slotted, 21 frets (don't want the 22) and no holes drilled (my tech can put in the 3-holes i need for my thin- line)...

that'd be in the budget and prett much the feel/look i want...

You might start a new thread asking the forum for opinions about aftermarket neck brands: Warmoth vs. Stew-Mac vs. Mighty-Mite vs. WD Music vs. etc.

http://mediawebsource.com/guitar/guitarnecks.htm

• Members

You might start a new thread asking the forum for opinions about aftermarket neck brands: Warmoth vs. Stew-Mac vs. Mighty-Mite vs. WD Music vs. etc.

shoooot.... those moses necks are NICE. now, a replacement neck like that... i can live with that. i can see myself going the extra mile purchasing that (as opposed to a warmoth that's planer-looking for more money).

• Members

Originally posted by mr.fat_chops

shoooot.... those moses necks are NICE. now, a replacement neck like that... i can live with that. i can see myself going the extra mile purchasing that (as opposed to a warmoth that's planer-looking for more money).

If those specs are what you after: 16" fb radius, graphite, jumbo frets, they are about as far from stock on a 72 RI Thinline as you can get! I strongly suggest not trying to mod your stock neck into something with specs like the Moses...much wiser to get the aftermarket neck. JMO.

• Members

If those specs are what you after: 16" fb radius, graphite, jumbo frets, they are about as far from stock on a 72 RI Thinline as you can get! I strongly suggest
not
trying to mod your stock neck into something with specs like the Moses...much wiser to get the aftermarket neck. JMO.

(shaking Jerry_Picker vigorously) "Can't you see, man? (Slap) He doesn't care what we think? He's clearly just going to do whatever the hell he wants! (slap) Leave him alone! (Slap!) We allllll know it's a bad idea!"

I'm sorry for hitting you Jerry, I just had to get through to you!

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

(shaking Jerry_Picker vigorously) "Can't you see, man? (Slap) He doesn't care what we think? He's clearly just going to do whatever the hell he wants! (slap) Leave him alone! (Slap!) We allllll know it's a bad idea!"

I'm sorry for hitting you Jerry, I just had to get through to you!

I'm dense..."no wood gets removed (so, no compromise of integrity/strength)... just new, taller frets get put it in and radiused flatter."

How do you re-radius a fingerboard without either removing (shaving flat) or adding (filling in the sides or re-slabbing) WOOD?

• Members

I'm dense..."no wood gets removed (so, no compromise of integrity/strength)... just new, taller frets get put it in and radiused flatter."

How do you re-radius a fingerboard without either removing (shaving flat) or adding (filling in the sides or re-slabbing) WOOD?

relax man... if you've got, say, medium jumbo frets on your strat... you can take a radiused sanding/grinding block and change JUST the "fret" radius (e.g., 9.5 to 10 or even a 9.5 to 12). having your frets leveled is basically the same experience... it's not necessary to grind the wood.

anyway, i'm not gonna get it refretted... i jacked up the action and tweeked the neck to what is "liveable". if in a couple weeks i still can't stand the radius... i'll get a cheap stewmac (9.5) and slap that on until i decide to sell it... so, you guys can stop put down the pitch-forks and torches...

Archived