Best Guitar for $250?

ak50324

• Members

I've finally decided to buy an electric, and decided on either a yamaha pacifica :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=511077

or a squier standard fat strat:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=510445

I decided that I will just play it through my bass amp(crap sound...but it'll work) until I save enough for a good amp(roland cube?).

If you have any other suggestions....I'm all ears.

• Members

Originally posted by ak50324

I've finally decided to buy an electric, and decided on either a yamaha pacifica :

or a squier standard fat strat:

I decided that I will just play it through my bass amp(crap sound...but it'll work) until I save enough for a good amp(roland cube?).

If you have any other suggestions....I'm all ears.

God almighty don't get the squier.

Go for the pacifica, i've heard good things...

If your willing to get a tele-style guitar, check out the peavey generation EXP, mine is very versatile and I love it

• Members

reports indicate gc may be doing the 51s for $99. the 51 and me are getting really, really close.

first, I love it, second I love it. third, nice variety of tones straight off the shelf. the neck is super good feeling. all fit & finish stuff is at least "good" & way better than what I expected @ the price OR from Squier. but that price from Squier - - I was totally surprised.

sure worth a look @ any price under $200. sure bet @ 150. un-freaking-believable @ $100.

• Members

Alot of people talk about the squier 51, i checked out bout 12 of them from 3 different music stores, and 1 i bought which i had to return due to the fact i couldnt intonate the guitar ive never had that problem with any other guitar ive bought why? , well i like the rest of us love to get a great deal but when your buyng a guitar you really have to spend more Cash.

Look at the long run, there will be a point where you may want to sell that guitar, if its a cheap low end guitar, you will never get your money back, or anything close to it,

Rondos may be a good idea, but Go there and try as many of the model of the guitar you want thats on the floor, Quality control on those guitars range in such a way that i wouldnt take a chance without playing one (ive owned 2 sx teles been there belive me)

my adivce is ...

check out guitar center samash or whatever music store you have look for an older MIM strat ( My fav are the tex-mex ) the older MIM have more laquer on the necks,

And Make sure if you buy A Guitar from a store they offer a free setup this way if theres any problems with the guitar ( fret height, sharp edges they should cover it to have it fixed, my shops do i know samash offers that to, guitar center dont.

Ok enuff of me ramblin hope that helps ya out

• Members

mid 80's Ibanez Roadstars. Plenty of different models. Ebay is usually flooded with them. Very solid Made In Japan strat-type guitars in that price range. Much better quality than the Chinese/Korean etc... stuff, and they'll hold their value.

• Members

Originally posted by grinch

Alot of people talk about the squier 51, i checked out bout 12 of them from 3 different music stores, and 1 i bought which i had to return due to the fact i couldnt intonate the guitar ive never had that problem with any other guitar ive bought why? ,

maybe cut you didn't want it to be any good cut it's too cheap for you? offends your sense of cosmic order?

• Members

Actually... that Squier Standard Fat Strat is pretty decent (the 2005/2006 model at least - which was "upgraded" to have better hardware/pups, solidbody alder, etc), but like with most Squiers you have to worry about hit or miss QC - mostly miss unless you try them in person (ie don't order online)

The Yamaha Pacifica is usually consistently well built from Yamaha's Taiwan factory - better QC even for the low end parts.

The Roland Micro Cube is a great little practice amp, I have one and use it the most (to not annoy my neighbor mainly) - but it doesn't have a JCM800 sim... but then again I use mine mostly for cleans anyway.

• Members
Originally posted by Valiant100

mid 80's Ibanez Roadstars. Plenty of different models. Ebay is usually flooded with them. Very solid Made In Japan strat-type guitars in that price range. Much better quality than the Chinese/Korean etc... stuff, and they'll hold their value.

Roadstars are great guitars.The good ones are going for$300(440 models or higher) and up, plus shipping.I know Ive been a bidding:D Great guitar though.

• Members

Ibanez Jetking $188 shipped from MF

Not usually a advocater of cheap guitars, but this thing was perfect. Perfect frets, perfect neck, and a helluva good sounding guitar with tons of versatility(even though I ended up changin pups on it).

P1120139.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by tbx

maybe cut you didn't want it to be any good cut it's too cheap for you? offends your sense of cosmic order?

lol, the problem is wanting to belive so badly that a squier will play better than it can, im open minded i gave it a shot right ? ;)

• Moderators

Originally posted by m90guy

Ibanez Jetking $188 shipped from MF

Not usually a advocater of cheap guitars, but this thing was perfect. Perfect frets, perfect neck, and a helluva good sounding guitar with tons of versatility(even though I ended up changin pups on it).

P1120139.jpg

Is this it after the pup change?.....GFS Loudmouths?

• Members

Originally posted by grinch

Look at the long run, there will be a point where you may want to sell that guitar, if its a cheap low end guitar, you will never get your money back, or anything close to it,

I don't know why people keep saying this, and they often say it about Agiles, and it's wrong - check ebay, craigslist, etc. or read about all the people here bitching that shops want as much as a new one

these same people often say "get a Gibson, it's value will hold" and turn around and tell people "yeah, you can get a used studio for $600" which is half of the new price, losing someone approximately $600, as opposed to $25-50 - some cheapies even sell used for more than new - early Agiles (regulation horn) and RIC copies are great examples

I know Grinch didn't say all of this, and I'm not implying he means it - just enough to get me started, I guess :wave:

anyway -- there are tons of options for under $250 - unbelievably, you can even get a good quality new guitar for it nowadays (or 2) - and if you're looking at used as well, there is so much to check out

outside of some good ones mentioned here (I own the SX SJM, SX strat, and a couple of Roadstars), you might also look for used Schecter, Washburn, and Fernandes

out of the two you listed, my bet would be the Yamaha would be a bit better, either one would be a perfectly good first guitar that will still serve you well even after you progress to a nicer axe - however, I do think you could find a nicer guitar than either with your budget

and of course, the sooner you can get a guitar amp, the sooner you'll appreciate the sounds of whatever you end up with - $250 would get you an SX and nearly cover a MicroCube with the rest, or another solid practice amp, or an Epi Valve JR

the cool thing about a good small amp - even if you get a big stage amp down the line, you'll always have use for the little one (if it's good) - recording, at home practice, whatever

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

these same people often say "get a Gibson, it's value will hold" and turn around and tell people "yeah, you can get a used studio for $600" which is half of the new price, losing someone approximately $600, as opposed to $25-50 - some cheapies even sell used for more than new - early Agiles (regulation horn) and RIC copies are great examples

I know Grinch didn't say all of this, and I'm not implying he means it - just enough to get me started, I guess
:wave:

Ya I wouldnt Say Gibson, i never liked em but see its all about opinion,

I am not a snob, If i found a great playing, and sounding guitar made by mcdonalds, i would buy it. though i might sand "mckie d's" off the headstock :)... My first guitar was a harmony strat, which i still have 15 years later, only thing i changed is i replaced the pups with texas specials, not many would dot hat huh? lol ..

All and all Buy what makes you happy, I get bored with gear fast always nice to know you could sell it , and not have to fuel the fireplace with plywood, tho hey That could come in handy

Which remind me... ode to christmas time .. Keep All your american standards under your christmas trees :: evil grin :: not that i would steal anyones chrtistmas.. no not i ;)

Archived