Amazing Radical Modification Greatly Improves Epi Elite Les Paul! (pics)

GAS Man

• Members

Originally posted by ArKay

I mean, look at those...

Heads.jpg

I've never owned one, BUT... I would tend to say the first one is fake because the trust rud cover looks so daaaaaamn cheap. "Gibson"??? Come on!

But it's obviously the real one.

They go for $200 there, so might still be worth it. And I checked exporter's prices yesterday, for fun... An LP clone can be had for $80 if you order a few hundred copies.

All 3 are real. My Epi doubleneck has the identical "Gibson" truss covers, the Epi SG Custom I used to have had the "Les Paul Custom" truss cover, and the gold one is just an aftermarket cover.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

All 3 are real. My Epi doubleneck has the identical "Gibson" truss covers, the Epi SG Custom I used to have had the "Les Paul Custom" truss cover, and the gold one is just an aftermarket cover.

The first one is from a real Gibson picture.

The latter 2 are sold as Epiphone Les Paul Customs on a Chinese auction page (makes me suspicous).

On number 2 & 3 the angle of the logo is weird. Also on the 3rd the tuners have a different shape, so does the headstock.

I dunno :)

• Members

Originally posted by ArKay

The first one is from a real Gibson picture.

The latter 2 are sold as Epiphone Les Paul Customs on a Chinese auction page (makes me suspicous).

On number 2 & 3 the angle of the logo is weird. Also on the 3rd the tuners have a different shape, so does the headstock.

I dunno
:)

This is the headstock of the Epi SG (Les Paul)Custom I used to own. I bought it brand new at a local store.

esg5.jpg

I don't have a pic of the doublenecks headstocks which are identical to that 'Gibson' one but I do have one of my Epi Sheraton.

headstock.jpg

The tuners in the 3rd pic are Grovers. Epi switched to them a few years ago.

• Members

OK, I was a little suspicious about those cheap offers (we're talking about the land of fakes here! :) ).

I think it's really hard to tell. The first picture I found at an online shop, I didn't consider that it could be outdated. The latter 2 are--like I said--taken off a Chinese eBay clone. The 3rd one even has a serial number on the back of the headstock.

So it might actually be safe to get one of those next time I'll go there.

Thanks for clearing that up :thu:

Archived