Amazing Radical Modification Greatly Improves Epi Elite Les Paul! (pics)

GAS Man

• Members

The Before

EpiphoneElitistbe4Aft001.jpg

The After

EpiphoneElitistbe4Aft003.jpg

Did you miss it?? :confused:

Here look again!!

The Before

EpiphoneElitistbe4Aft002.jpg

The After

EpiphoneElitistbe4Aft004.jpg

I know, I know, IT'S A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

And I DID IT ALL MYSELF!

I wouldn't attempt this at home unless you already have the special Luthier's tool designed by Mr. Phillips or the stash to pay for this mod, cuz this puppy set me back 1,126 cents PLUS!!! 10 bits more for shipping! Phew.

But it was worth every cent. This puppy sustains for days now!

I would have been happy if the TR cover had said "Elitist" like the later model, but the plainess of the blank on this NOS 2003 "Elite" version was just too much to bare.

:wave:

• Members

Thanks,

$700 including the hardcase was indeed a sweet deal.

And I really like the tone of these guys.

I'm more of a fan of sweet cleans, and these pups sound more like Classic '57s so they deliver that to me real well. But of course, crank up the gain or some pedals and they'll rock.

But I prefer the tone of these over the 490/498 combo or the 496/500T. Just a personal taste issue based on my love for sweet clean tones.

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

Thanks,

$700 including the hardcase was indeed a sweet deal.

And I really like the tone of these guys.

I'm more of a fan of sweet cleans, and these pups sound more like Classic '57s so they deliver that to me real well. But of course, crank up the gain or some pedals and they'll rock.

But I prefer the tone of these over the 490/498 combo or the 496/500T. Just a personal taste issue based on my love for sweet clean tones.

Did you get that from the Musician's Friend closeout?

If so, I'm gonna' kick myself in the ass for not gettin' in on that.

That is beautiful.

The Bear

• Members
Originally posted by vexed73

In that picture I think it like more than my honeyburst.

Thanks, but I don't know. I was very very tempted to get the honeyburst. But I already have an '83 Custom Shop Les Paul Studio that has some sort of tobacco looking burst finish; so I went with the faded (heritage) cherry sunburst sort of as a second choice since I already had a darker LP.

Both very nice IMO.

Here's my Gibby.

Never been exactly sure which finish this is.

Lester65.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by The Bear

Did you get that from the Musician's Friend closeout?

If so, I'm gonna' kick myself in the ass for not gettin' in on that.

That is beautiful.

The Bear

Actually, a few of the online dealers had them all go on sale for a little while there. I think American Musical Supply had them for a little while as well.

But I got mine from Zzounds. I think both AMS and ZZounds had them for about $800. Then MF started selling them for $700. Some folks even managed to get an online rebate of $50 to apply on their purchase at MF even though it wasn't supposed to apply to Epiphone deals. :D So some folks here snagged theirs for $650.

But short story, I got mine from ZZounds and got them to match the MF price of $700 since MF charges us Washingtonians 8.3% sales tax.

• Members
Originally posted by No Soul

I like the blank one

I always prefer blank ones though..

Well I could make you a sweet deal on a blank one then! :D

I was actually hoping it would say

"Les Paul"
"Standard"

Some of them, like the Custom, are that way and then the lettering is smaller and doesn't jump out as much.

But the website didn't pic all the TR covers and I'm still happy that this just dresses it up a tad bit more and makes it look a little more Gibby-ish.

• Members

Originally posted by vexed73

It is one of the Honey burst ones

Oops, I sorry, I'm with you now. With the angle of the guitar in your picture it made the headstock look like it narrows more at the top so I thought maybe I was looking at an Agile or Tokai. Had I recognized it as a brother I would have known the answer.

I like those HBs a bit better than the vintage sunburst models since the transition is more subtle on the HBs. On the vintage sunbursts the darkness on the edges makes you sorta lose visual perspective of the width and then emphasizes the yellow tear drop inner area.

• Members

I've got a HoneyBurst and the only modification I've done, was to replace those TopHat control knobs with the cylindrical ones. I wanted gold ones, but had to settle for the darker (black?) ones. Still look good though.
Here's pretty much my guitar- this color seems to be close:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/media/epiphone_les_paul_std_honeyburst.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/en-gb/p_252.html&h=283&w=128&sz=20&tbnid=iJtqyT8Oh6FZ3M:&tbnh=110&tbnw=49&hl=en&start=18&prev=/images%3Fq%3Depiphone%2Bhoneyburst%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DWZPA,WZPA:2006-06,WZPA:en%26sa%3DG
Just got this guitar back from my brother and have enjoyed playing it. In fact, I haven't even taken out my DeArmond SG-copy since I got it back.

• Members
Originally posted by utterhack

I'm with No Soul on this one, but it's a beauty either way.

Plus the mod is non-invasive and fully reversible, so now it's really like to completely different guitars for the price of one.

Really huh?

I just sorta think that if you look at pic two (where it's not so much in your face) the extra white on the headstock from the lettered TR cover helps bridge the "whiteness" from the crown inlays up to the "Epiphone " abalone inscription at the top of the HS.

:):(:):(:):(

Sorry, I just had a bipolar emoticon moment.

• Members

I mean, look at those...

Heads.jpg

I've never owned one, BUT... I would tend to say the first one is fake because the trust rud cover looks so daaaaaamn cheap. "Gibson"??? Come on!

But it's obviously the real one.

They go for $200 there, so might still be worth it. And I checked exporter's prices yesterday, for fun... An LP clone can be had for $80 if you order a few hundred copies.

• Members

Where did you get the truss rod cover?

I'd like to replace mine as well. the one on my elitist is says "elitist" but it's as if it wasn't imprinted properly, because it's all black, and it's not indented. you can barely see that it's there. kinda weird.

• Members

Originally posted by PRSplayer

Where did you get the truss rod cover?

I just added it to an order from Music 123.

They're kinda weird there though. It was an item that didn't say "free shipping with order over $99" so they did stick me with $2.50 shipping even though my order was over $99.

But no biggy.

I really like having the extra "detail" to the appearance. Up close it almost looks like a bit much, but from a distance it really help tie in the white markings of the guitar form the pg, to the fb markers, and up to the epi sig.

Archived