ASCAP

Jiggs

• Members

I searched and read many threads here, and didn't find this specific information. Forgive me if it's posted elsewhere.

My question is specifically about ASCAP, as that is the organization I keep getting referred to. The joining process seems easy enough, one time fee for the application.

Here's my situation.

Our CD is being mastered right now. We are going through CD Baby to do our distributing. I have yet to submit the registration for the copyright, but I plan on completing the form and submitting the mastered songs.

Do I need to wait to try to join ASCAP? Is there a reason my application would not be accepted? The sections on the online application that deal with when your recording was released states that it "...has to be in the past", so can I join before my CD is distributed?

If I am not even asking the right questions, I would appreciate it. I did spend a good deal of time in the copyright thread, and I think I have a good grasp on that, but any guidance would be appreciated.

• Moderators

get started on the copyright registration for the songs themselves, not the recording (different forms) ASAP, as it takes a while even on-line, to get the confirmations. Regardless, make sure your artwork for the CD has the copyright 'circle c' mark on it.

ASCAP is really the least of your concerns until a single takes off...good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived