I Was The Funk Puts One Up

• Members

OK, kids. I post here every now and then and give silly advice and say things like "you can record anywhere" and "expensive preamps are overrated", so I figured that I should put something on the line here.

so:

http://www.sdlevine.com/7days.mp3

This is in my estimation about 85-90% there, and I like the way its evolving. I'll post this in the recording forum to. Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

The Funk

PS. The band is El Gringo from Boston. I'm producing the record and it should be out mid summer.

• Members

It all sounds good. I can hear everything.

just wondering about the mix philosophy. Lots of reverb/echo on the voices and lead guitar while the rhythm section sounds nice, crisp and clean. The effects on the voices and lead guitar puts the rhythm section up front and the voices and lead guitar to the rear for me. The opposite of what I would expect.

What did you use for the slap back echo on the voice?

• Members

It all sounds good. I can hear everything.

just wondering about the mix philosophy. Lots of reverb/echo on the voices and lead guitar while the rhythm section sounds nice, crisp and clean. The effects on the voices and lead guitar puts the rhythm section up front and the voices and lead guitar to the rear for me. The opposite of what I would expect.

What did you use for the slap back echo on the voice?

Ahhhh....

The lead vocal track was copied and nudged until it was a distict echo. then heavily equed, distorted and run through a tape simulator. The harmony vocal has a crazy sonitus stereo delay on it with a ton of crossfeeding.

As far as the philosophy goes.... Its basically a country reggae hybrid, so I sort of split the difference. Theres a lot going on rhythmically (and EVERYTHING is going to the reverb send) but I wanted the rhythms to be distinct. The vocal treatments are intended to be eerie, in keeping with teh song's subject matter. The guitar just felt like it needed the atmospheric treatment. It may be over the top, but it still has an iteration or two still to go.

Archived