BBE Sonic Maximizer 882i - any experience?

• Members

I ordered a mic through Guitar Center yesterday and while I was there the salesman was showing me a BBE Sonic maximizer 882i, mainly he was giddy over the fact that it still functioned when he turned off the power and responded to the bypass button with the power off. He was more impressed by this feature than he was trying to push it on anyone, rather just telling anyone who would listen. Now i wouldn't have much of a need for that in a live setting as we run so little through our PA but I was thinking of it for the studio, applying it to the final mix. Anyone ever used one of these for such a purpose? If so, were the results worth purchasing one? It sounded decent with the setup they had but I'd prefer other feedback first before considering it.

• Members

The BBE and Aphex units don't seem to get much respect in "real" studio environments.

The proper use of EQ and multiband compression etc. can accomplish much the same thing with better results.

I have an Aphex outboard unit and I have the BBE Sonic Maximizer plug in and they get very rare use. I would have no use for either in a live PA rig unless it was to add sparkle to my keyboards..which I don't need.

For live use I would recommend the Aphex 104 with "big bottom" over the BBE in a heartbeat. You can find them used on Craigslist for under a hundred bucks.

• Members

They were gotta-have/must-use FX 15 or 20 years ago. EVERYONE seemed to be hyping them. As usual, yesterday's must-have is today's you still have one of those?

I bought one a long time ago when I was flush and never found a compellingly good use for it.

But for specific uses, they can add a certain edge.

I try to learn from these things. For the last decade, if a whole bunch of "engineers" on BBs like this or GS or PSW say it's a must have -- I avoid it like the plague. :D

It's kept me from being suckered into things like the Liquid Channel, certain heavily colored, comb-filtery "boutique" retro mics, jitter-inducing external converter clocksources, and lots of other highly questionable, highly hyped products...

• Members

That doesn't mean one can't get use out of it.

Remember, by and large, the same people slagging it today are the one's who couldn't live without it 15 or 20 years ago. (OK, the faces and names may change, but... )

Still, I wouldn't go out and buy one. I can honestly say that mine has never made its way into one of my final mixes.

• Members

I have to admit that I have used my BBE plugin on a final mix...not very often..but I have done it.

There are times when the BBE cleans up a dull instrument or keyboard part and I think I even tried it on female vocals one time.

I would not buy one now.

• Members

I remember mixing some tracks I didn't record.

Guitar was Gibson Les Paul through a Triple Rectifier with matching cab and an E609.

I think they tried too much to tame the guitar down, it's was way too smooth, and the song called for some edgier guitars.

I used the BBE sparingly just to bring some bite back.

It worked, the mix was much better.

Then after a few listens we concluded it was too harsh and the best solution was to retrack the guitars...

It's the kind of tool that has a big WOW factor but that you grow tired of.

Archived