tax refun like a mofo! (what les paul to get)

spoonie g

• Members

Originally posted by Speed_Racer71

i would like to have had Dick Cheneys tax refund....$1.9 million..must be nice huh
:mad:

You do realize that this was because the government withheld more than $2M on stocks that the Cheneys had donated to charity, right? Basically, the government took their money for no good reason and held it for almost a year without interest.

The Cheneys donated over $6M to charity in 2005 (around 75% of their total income, IIRC). On what was left, they paid close to a half-million in federal income tax.

I'd have to say it wouldn't be nice at all to have the government decide they are going to hold $1.9M of MY money until I filed my taxes......

Frankly, I'm not real happy with the IRS right now. AMT kicked in and left me writing about $3500 in checks. Of course, it is the fact that I have 4 kids that caused me to have to pay an extra $4K in taxes (nice, huh?). Naturally, I also didn't get the child tax credit, either.

Tax cuts, my a$$. The only people who get any of the child tax credits or EIC are at low incomes.....

• Members

Originally posted by pulse765

Ya but do you know aht he had to do to get it from the IRS?
:eek:

I have many words which could be formed into sentences to describe how bad I feel about Dick's refund. I'll keep them to myself.

-K

Do they include SHOOTING A DUDE IN THE FACE?

• Members

Originally posted by SentimentalMood

Do they include SHOOTING A DUDE IN THE FACE?

Have you ever been quail or duck hunting? I find it interesting that people who actually hunt using small shot generally don't think this was an unusual occurrence, while those that either don't hunt at all or hunt deer think it's a felonious offense.

Were you aware that Cheney himself has been 'peppered' while hunting (not while he was VP)?

This was not "SHOOTING A DUDE IN THE FACE". Calling it that shows your ignorance of the sport.

• Members

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

Have you ever been quail or duck hunting? I find it interesting that people who actually hunt using small shot generally don't think this was an unusual occurrence, while those that either don't hunt at all or hunt deer think it's a felonious offense.

Were you aware that Cheney himself has been 'peppered' while hunting (not while he was VP)?

This was not "SHOOTING A DUDE IN THE FACE". Calling it that shows your ignorance of the sport.

It wasn't done with any malicious intent, but by definition he most certainly did shoot him in the face. Shoulda come out immediatley and said "I was hunting and I accidentally shot my friend in the face, definitely my bad."

• Members

Originally posted by kimbal

If you are going to tell the story, tell the whole story. Where did the 6 mil come from and why did he donate it to charity ?

The $6M '05 income is from his wife's bookwriting career. A clip from a press release:

Recently, Mrs. Cheney has written three books of American history for children. The first, America: A Patriotic Primer, released in May 2002, is an alphabet book for children of all ages and their families that celebrates the ideas and ideals that are the foundations of our country. The second, A Is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women, published September 2003, tells the story of women's contributions to American history. Her third, When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots, released in October 2004, is a straightforward yet elegant retelling of the dramatic military campaign that began on Christmas night, 1776. Mrs. Cheney's net proceeds from her three best-selling books are being donated to charity.

I don't think she mentioned Les Pauls anywhere, though....

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

ok, shut the {censored} up. this is my thread and its not going to turn into a bunch of political bull{censored}. We're talking Les Pauls here.

Fair enough. Were the R8 and R0 you saw at GC the new VOS PLEK's models, or were they the GC-spec planks?If they were VOS, would you be willing to share where they are?

• Members

Who do you hunt with?

I have hunted upland game (pheasants, quail, partridge) and waterfowl (ducks, geese) for the last 35 years and have never been part of a hunting party in which such an accident has occurred.

Further, the only people that I know who have been shot in an outdoor sporting weapons situation have had this occur as a result of a major identifiable breach in basic principles of hunter safety ( and alcohol was sometimes a factor).

Making such accidents sound like common, accepted part-and-parcel of sport hunting does a huge disservice to responsible, safe hunters and gun owners, AND it gives ammunition to anti-gun interests.

• Members

Originally posted by kimbal

Yes, stock options from Haliburton.

From the Associated Press:

The Cheneys donated about $6.87 million to charity from the stock options and royalties earned on Mrs. Cheney's books: "America: A Patriotic Primer," "A is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women" and "When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots."

[...]

The Cheneys' income included the vice president's $205,031 government salary and $211,465 in deferred compensation from Halliburton Co., the Dallas-based energy services firm he headed until Aug. 16, 2000.

[...]

the amount of deferred compensation received by the vice president is fixed and is not affected by Halliburton's current economic performance or earnings.

The Cheneys had earlier agreed to donate all the profits from her books; the money primarily goes to educational support organizations, and also to some medical research institutes.

Let's be real - the Cheneys grossed over $8.5M in total, and gave almost $7M away. The $200K or so he gets from Halliburton barely merits mention in comparison. Frankly, given the deals that most fortune 500 CEOs are now getting, it looks like he got screwed - $200K is chump change compared to the severance packages and deferred compensation lots of other CEOs are getting......

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

$1750, you say? R0.

A2-0J065_1

Actually, that's not an R0....that's a Historic Reissue of the '60 Special...the R0 is a reissue of the '60 Standard:) ...I know, it's a technicality....and I think I'd rather find a singlecut '90's model Special for around half the price....they are great guitars.

• Members

My parents are getting alittle more than 10k back for taxes I think they said, and since I've waited since Christmas for a new guitar ( I opted for not getting one until we had money) and I didnt get anything for my b-day they better get me a nice guitar! :D

• Members

You do realize that this was because the government withheld more than $2M on stocks that the Cheneys had donated to charity, right? Basically, the government took their money for no good reason and held it for almost a year without interest.

The other way of looking at it is that the withholding of $2M for a year is like the taxpayer loaning the government that money at zero percent interest, when, with a conservative investment, a 5% return would have been reasonable.

In other words, it is like Cheney payed an additional 5% x $2M= $100,000 to the government for safekeeping his own money until tax day! Insane!

• Members

Fair enough. Were the R8 and R0 you saw at GC the new VOS PLEK's models, or were they the GC-spec planks?If they were VOS, would you be willing to share where they are?

To tell you the truth, I don't know for sure. I didn't see anything about it being a guitar center special or anything that I remember. I'll need to go back to make sure. At that price, maybe they were.

• Members

spoonie g

Congrats on the refund:thu:

I think you should go to as many places that you can, and play every Les Paul that you can find. Then pick the one that makes you the happiest.

Hope you enjoy your search for a new Les Paul, and don't forget to post some pics when you get one.:)

• Members

Well since you are defending his blasting a guy in the face with a shotgun I won't argue your expertize. On the other hand I hate that mother {censored}er. He lied to get at the mid east oil and caused close to 25000 US casualties while Haliburtons stock has doubled. He was too cowardly to do the fighting in Nam when he had the chance. Four deferments. Not to mention our commander-in-chiefs AWOL during his days avoiding combat in the The National Guard. Both Gore and Kerry were actually in Viet Nam. Sure you can try to diminish their service by parroting the usual lies regarding their duties there but they were in-country. Not 3000 miles away.

Archived