Got a $200 spot raise at work, looking at the following:

Mike Sr.

• Members

I'm looking at buying the Epiphone 5 watt tube head for $99.

I have a Crate 412 Cab that made my Fender 25R sound sweet. So my thought is this 5w tube amp should sound fat when cranked.

or

Fender Texas Specials pickups for one of my Squier Strats. Check them out at www. below. I have a good platform for building on to.

• Members

I wouldn't bother with Texas Specials for a Squire Strat (They would be worth more than the guitar)

Buy the Epi valve Jr. head (Kick Ass! amp...I have one) sell your Squire Strats use the $101 you have left and add it with what you make on the Squires and buy an upgrade 06 MIM Standard Strat.

• Members

I'm sorry, I've played several Fender Strats and the only one I liked better than my Squires was the SRV model. Although I liked it alot, it wasn't worth the money.

I guess I've been lucky with Squiers cause none of mine have issues like so many people complain about and even if I spent the $150 on pick-ups, I would still have less than $300 invested in the one's I have.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Sr.

I'm sorry, I've played several Fender Strats and the only one I liked better than my Squires was the SRV model. Although I liked it alot, it wasn't worth the money.

I guess I've been lucky with Squiers cause none of mine have issues like so many people complain about and even if I spent the $150 on pick-ups, I would still have less than $300 invested in the one's I have.

If you like Texas specials, try these at

http://store.guitarfetish.com/sttalstpiset.html

• Members
Originally posted by theManfromAlabam

I wouldn't bother with Texas Specials for a Squire Strat (They would be worth more than the guitar)

Buy the Epi valve Jr. head (Kick Ass! amp...I have one) sell your Squire Strats use the $101 you have left and add it with what you make on the Squires and buy an upgrade 06 MIM Standard Strat.

Who's that in your avatar?

(btw--good suggestion!)
:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by animl

If you like Texas specials, try these at

That's the way I'd go. I actually really like Squiers. I recently bought a Std to use as a base to fit a set of GFS lipsticks in, and I like the neck profile a lot better than my 94 MIA Std Strat. It's not as "rich" a guitar - feels a bit cheaperm and you can hear the cheaper trem, but plugged in before I lifted out the guts (the full wiring and pups went into another strat copy I have - seemed a shame to leave those nice staggered scs going to waste...) in readiness for the new wiring and lippys when i get the time the difference in sound was..... well, not as big as the difference in price, anyhow. I do believe that the Squier range is closer in spirit to Leo's original concept of an affordable, easily repaired /upgraded guitar than the actual Fender range of today, but that's another discussion altogether!

I'd be perfectly happy to fit a set of TS or other expensive pups in a Squier.... I've long been of the opinion (though this may change once i get a chance to try out the improved trem on the 2006 MIM models) that if you're gonig to the extent of redoing all the wiring and pups, you're better off starting with a good Squier than an MIM Std as a donor, as otherwise IMO you're losing a lot of what you've paid the extra for in the first place... captin' maybe the six saddle trem (shame Squier don't have this on the std range, as I prefer it a lot to the two-point approach, but hey ho). Sure, you'll take a bath on resale.... which is why i always in the past advised paying a little extra and doing an entirely new plate, retaining the old one so that you can revert to standard if going to sell. But since it has now got to the point where even with some fairly expensive models a lot of folks seem to make more money parting them out on ebay, I'm not sure that this matters the same any more for Strats. since GFS came along, though, I'm not really sure i can see the point most of the time in spending money on expensive name brand pups.... YMMV.

FWIW, i have a set of the premium vintage staggers waiting to go into a Strat project - bought these in preference to a set of fender Tex Mexes in the end. They're based on a 67 era Strat, with a nonRWRP middle. i may well pick up a set of the Texas ones if i do ever get around to building another Strat - maybe to give a real set of balls to the Hendrixed one I fnacy putting together....

Archived