Which Squier Tele, Agathis or Alder?

voneville

• Members

Why is the Affinity Tele cheaper (alder body) then the Squier Standard Tele with agathis wood? Can anyone hear the differance between these two woods, or is it just hype?

The only conclusion I can come up with is that they had to go cheap on the wood on the standard because of it's other "upgrade" features. But it still seems weird.

I've always wanted a Vintage Blonde Tele, and happen to have a set of Texas Specials in a box of guitar parts. The Affinity in artic white would suffice, and I actually sort of dig the maple neck lately. The price difference is not really an issue for me (as it's only 40 or so bucks). I'm leaning towards the Standard because I like the color more.

• Members

There's no doubt that the Standard has better hardware but I've got an Affinity that I've stripped (didn't like the original blue colour) and I love it. I've routed it for a third pickup and fitted with the Tex-Mex pups from the Nashville Tele and it sounds killer.

The neck wood is a little soft but the neck itself plays beautifully. All in all, I like it much better than my '80s Japanese Tele. I like the slightly looser strings from the top loading bridge as it feels more like my Gibsons. The thing is is not short of sustain and has quite a bit more than the string through body bridge of the Jap Tele. I'm retentive enough to have measured it because I initially couldn't believe it, especially with the thinner body (which is more comfortable).

After playing Teles for over 20 years I'm not interested too much in the theory anymore. My upgraded Affinity plays and sounds better to me than quite a few 'proper' Teles.

Either will be a good guitar. I wouldn't get too hung up on the wood type or the pickups. Play both and buy which grabs you. The Affinity is likely to need the hardware changed sooner than the Standard but it won't cost a fortune. The Standard pickups are better quality but I didn't think the Affinity's original pickups were too shabby, I had the Tex Mex for another project and decided to put them in the Affinity. I'm glad I did as it is a great guitar.

• Members

Yea, I concur with pretty much everything everyone has said. I have a an Affinity Tele (1999) that I love. But I felt experimental and put a P-90 on it. I love it with the P-90, but I miss having a good ole fashioned tele around (as I also have the custom HH). I just with I had a better reason to spend a little bit of extra money then the Color. It's really down to if I want to settle for Artic White or if I want the Vintage Blonde (which I am leaning towards). Thanks for the input guys.

• Members

I always thought it was a geograppical decision for Squier. Made in China is Alder; Made in Indonesia is Agathis. I'm just guessing off of my Squier Standard Strat (MIC) Alder, and a Squier Affinity Butterscotch Tele (MIC) Alder.

I just assumed Agathis is local to Indonesian factories or something. Could be wrong.

• Members

Originally posted by 1esotericguy

I always thought it was a geograppical decision for Squier. Made in China is Alder; Made in Indonesia is Agathis. I'm just guessing off of my Squier Standard Strat (MIC) Alder, and a Squier Affinity Butterscotch Tele (MIC) Alder.

I just assumed Agathis is local to Indonesian factories or something. Could be wrong.

that makes a lot of sense to me.

Archived