• Members
Originally posted by Spacetrucker

My setup is pretty budget but I can get pretty decent results with it:-

M-Audio Audiophile 192(soundcard)

M-Audio DMP3(preamp)

Studio Projects C1(condenser mic)

Cubase SL3

Evolution MK-149(MIDI keyboard)

At the moment I record my guitars direct in via my Korg AX1500G cabinet sims into my DMP3.

Here's
a little something I recorded recently with this setup. I think these days it's easier to get workable results without breaking the bank. I'd highly recommend the M-Audio stuff in terms of soundcards and preamps.
:)

That's a great sound, it kinda makes me think of the Cure except with a rocking guitarist. How did you do the drums?

• Members
Originally posted by platpyus59

That's a great sound, it kinda makes me think of the Cure except with a rocking guitarist. How did you do the drums?

Thanks :) Was just something I kinda threw together to get back into recording, hadn't recorded anything for 2 years previously. I did the drums with Jamstix. It's a great little program that basically jams with you and creates rhythms etc - perfect for people like me who just can't think like a drummer does. I used the standard kit for that recording, but you can also get a buch of additional kits which are really good. Well worth $99 IMO. :)

• Members

Guitar>Hughes & Kettner zenTera direct out>M-Audio souncard>Audacity.

I can't recall the model # of the soundcard but I can post it later if anyone wants it.

If you want to record from the line out of an amp, I highly recommend the Hughes & Kettner Red Box DI. It has cabinet simulation and really gets a great sound out of the line out or the speaker out.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

Guitar>Hughes & Kettner zenTera direct out>M-Audio souncard>Audacity.

I can't recall the model # of the soundcard but I can post it later if anyone wants it.

If you want to record from the line out of an amp, I highly recommend the Hughes & Kettner Red Box DI. It has cabinet simulation and really gets a great sound out of the line out or the speaker out.

how much will it cost for a setup like that?

• Members

Originally posted by supercow3

I ma thinking of getting a line6 toneport...anyone recommend it?

I use the Line6 Guitarport & Riffworks software and I'm totally happy with my results. I can even use the 'port models for recording into other software. It works for guitars, bass, keys, & vocals. I can only imagine that the Toneport is more versatile.

The drums in Rifftracker seem to be the only drawback. Cool idea, works pretty well for getting ideas down quick, but not well-supported by Line6 or tremendously versatile. Still...neat & easy. The models alone make for hours of guitar fun.

• Members

Originally posted by Outrider

I use the Line6 Guitarport & Riffworks software and I'm totally happy with my results. I can even use the 'port models for recording into other software. It works for guitars, bass, keys, & vocals. I can only imagine that the Toneport is more versatile.

The drums in Rifftracker seem to be the only drawback. Cool idea, works pretty well for getting ideas down quick, but not well-supported by Line6 or tremendously versatile. Still...neat & easy. The models alone make for hours of guitar fun.

cool thanks..do you have the u1 or 2?

• Members

cool thanks..do you have the u1 or 2?

I have the Guitarport, which is the sub-toneport model (came out before the toneports). It like a simpler version of the Toneport... only has 1/4" input, no meters, and the software doens't have vocal models. Still works just fine for everything I've tried so far.! :thu:

GuitarPort.jpg

• Members

I run everything through a small Yamaha mixer and then into an EMU 0404 soundcard. The 0404 came with a version of Cubasis recording software for PC. I am using krk rokit 5 reference monitors.

For guitar, I usually run a POD 2.0 (Behringer Bass Vamp Pro for guitar) and Gr-33 to the mixer, but I also have a Mesa F-30 that I can mic.

So far, this setup has worked out well. I need to increase the RAM and get a decent set of headphones.

• Members

I'm using two different methods, depending upon whether I need vocals or not, and whether I'm at the computer or not:

Line 6 Guitar Port (straight into soundcard, I don't have Riffworks):

Line_6_Guitarport.jpg

And a Zoom PS-04 with built-in mic/amp models, for when I'm not at the computer:

Zoom_PS04.jpg

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by platpyus59

I've been debating the merits of a stand alone vs. desktop anything helps, thanks.

Just my opinion, but if you've already got a pretty good computer, I recommend using PC applications vs. stand-alone.

I used stand alones for about 10 years, starting with a 4 track cassette multitracker and ending with an 8 track digital. Neither had built in effects (most do now). They both worked fine and I got some good results out of them.

However, with PC applications, you've got a lot better platform for upgrades. Plug-in software gives you more bang for the buck than buying effects hardware, you generally get more tracks, and better editing features. It's just not as portable, so if you're wanting to do field recording, then a stand alone may be of more interest to you.

I also think that a stand alone is easier to get started on. Having physical knobs and sliders and not having to worry about software/hardware conflicts or latency issues probably makes a stand alone easier to get along with for a lot of folks.

That said, once you get the kinks worked out of a computer setup, I think it blows most stand alones away as far as performance and versatility.

• Members

Thanks Prages, I was going to go cheap and buy a little fostex mr-8. Which is the modern equivalent of the 4-track cassette I had before I got married, but I suppose that i should bite the bullet and upgrade the hardware and go with the desktop recording programs. Too many choices between programs! I guess I better get researching!;)

BTW, did you just mike that classic 30 when you were recording?

• Members

how much will it cost for a setup like that?

Audacity is free. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The H&K Red Box is like $120 new but they usually go for around $60 on Ebay. I got lucky and nabbed one there for $22.

I got my souncard from MF. It was around $40 or $50. It has RCA in & out, MIDI in & out, and S/PDIF in.

• Members

Originally posted by NiCkMiLnE

what you guys reccomend thats cheap, but i can record DI with my amp with an sm57 mic

cheers

nick:thu:

What do you consider cheap, and do you already own a mixing board or anything else that has a usable mic preamp in it?

• Members

I've got the multimix 8 USB version, only does the main mix 2 channel to the USB interface. I'm quite pleased with mine for voice recording, it's quiet and the mic preamps are ok and it is a decent analog mixer too. Used it to interface iTunes, a couple mics and such to a PA for a small DJ gig at a friends wedding.

Originally posted by Mr. D

I just got an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire, which comes with Cubase LE. So far, I'm very pleased with it, especially for a mere $300. A Cubase upgrade (or a different program) is needed to record more than 4 channels/tracks simultaneously, which is a bit annoying since none of the specs mentioned this until after purchase.

Nonetheless, it's fairly easy to use (except for some PC issues, but that was Sony's and/or Microsoft's fault) and records very clean, low-noise tracks. I've used it with my POD, and SM58 mics on guitar amps, vocals, and drums to good results. Highly recommend (so far; I've only had it for a week or so).

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

Audacity is free.

The H&K Red Box is like $120 new but they usually go for around $60 on Ebay. I got lucky and nabbed one there for $22.

I got my souncard from MF. It was around $40 or $50. It has RCA in & out, MIDI in & out, and S/PDIF in.

This option sounds very doable to me..thanks:thu:

Archived