What are you using to record?

thredlok

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

I use a Firepod with Cubase LE. It's capable of doing 8 tracks at once. You just have to enable the other tracks on it. I can't remember off the top of my head how to do it, but when I get home this evening I'll do it and post the step-by-step. I wouldn't think that it would be any different than the software that comes with the Alesis.

Please do. The problem I ran into was that when I attempted to enable more than 4 simultaneous tracks, it would tell me "Cubase LE only supports a maximum of 4 simultaneous inputs" or something similar.

I've since upgraded, but I would still like to know how to do 4+ tracks in LE. Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Mr. D

Please do. The problem I ran into was that when I attempted to enable more than 4 simultaneous tracks, it would tell me "Cubase LE only supports a maximum of 4 simultaneous inputs" or something similar.

I've since upgraded, but I would still like to know how to do 4+ tracks in LE. Thanks!

Strange...mine doesn't do that.

I'll give it a shot anyway when I get home and do some screen captures or something.

Guest Anonymous

Dell Dimension 4600 / P4 2.4 Ghz / 768mb

Aardvark Q10 with built-in mic preamps

Alesis 3630, MEQ230, Midiverb IV

Roctron ProGAP

Peavey XG5 noise gate

H&K Tubeman for direct recording

Weber MASS50 for direct recording

Shure SM57

MXL V69ME

AKG C1000S

Sonar 4 software with an assload of plugins

• Members

What do you consider cheap, and do you already own a mixing board or anything else that has a usable mic preamp in it?

i have no recording software/system

im looking for somthing that will sound good, at low cost

:thu:

• Members

Okay. I've gone into Cubase LE and activated 8 tracks and done screen caps of the process.

First, go into Cubase LE. I chose to do 8 mono tracks instead of 4 stereo ones.

1.jpg

Next, go to Devices->VST Inputs.

2.jpg

That will give you this screen.

3.jpg

Now enable every input available if you want to.

4.jpg

Now go back to Devices->Mixer and click on the little drop down arrow for each track and choose "Wide"

5.jpg

Now, where it says "In 1" at the top of the track, click and select the input you want. You should see as many choices as you enabled in the Devices->VST Inputs screen.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Now just click the "arm" or "record" button on each track.

8.jpg

That's how it works with the Firepod anyway.

• Members

That will give you this screen.

3.jpg

Now enable every input available if you want to.

That is so strange. It is at that step that Cubase prevents me from enabling more than four inputs and tells me it only supports a max of four.

Thanks very much for this. I'll give it another shot next time I record, but I suspect it might just be something to do with different versions of LE.

• Members

Originally posted by weatherboy

Boy that looks complicated..

I prefer a stand alone unit.

This works fine in my apartment..

studio.jpg

It is more complicated than a stand-alone, and I don't find Cubase terribly user friendly compared to the Cakewalk stuff I had been using before. But you can do damn near anything with it, which is what I love about it. You have to take the bad with the good, I guess.

• Members

Look for a used Roland VS you can get the 8 and 16 track models fairly cheap these days and you don't have to worry about all that latency stuff. You also have the bonus of a recorder that is easy to transport and not nearly as fragile and flakey as a PC.

Max

Archived