Wolfgang breaking strings!!

StevenS

• Members

I've got a 2 yr old Wolfgang with a Floyd that is going through strings like crazy. It's not any particular one, they all like to have a go at it, but they all break at the bridge in the same place. It generally happens when I'm either playing live or practicing with the band and I really don't play it that hard. One particular practice I broke 4 strings in one night. The latest was last night about 3 songs into our set. I was really close to pulling a Pete Townsend on it.

I've had it to 2 techs who filled down the saddles but it just keeps breaking strings. I really like the guitar but this is driving me nuts.

Can I buy better saddles for it anywhere? Anyone have any advice?

• Members

They're breaking right at the edge of the saddles where it leaves the bridge. There ends up being about 1/2 inch of string left in the bridge. I honestly don't think it's from picking too hard. I play my Les Paul the same way and rarely if ever break a string on that.
Anyone else had this problem?

• Members

Take a magnifying glass and look at each saddle. Find out if there are any sharp edges that might be causing your strings to break. I'm not familiar with the guitar, but if the angle at which the strings are right before the bridge is too steep it might be causing a pressure point right at the saddles. What is your string gauge? Heavier strings might help you.

• Members

Originally posted by StevenS

They're breaking right at the edge of the saddles where it leaves the bridge. There ends up being about 1/2 inch of string left in the bridge. I honestly don't think it's from picking too hard. I play my Les Paul the same way and rarely if ever break a string on that.

Anyone else had this problem?

1/2 " left over, hmmmmm.

Are you using the trem when they break?

It may be your bridge pup is too high and when you use the trem the strings rub against the pup, weaken and then just break whenever they feel like it.

Try to see what the break point is over. (pup pole piece, etc etc)

• Members

Thanks guys, I'll try the magnifying glass, & cotton ball ideas & see what happens. I use .009's and like them. I've even tried different picks for a while but it didn't seem to make any difference. I could try .010's I guess but I don't really think that's the problem. I use .009's on my Les Paul, & Strat and never have problems like this Wolfgang.
Maybe it's time to get the Dremel grinder out to smooth those babies down. (chuckle)

Archived