Advice needed on mixing!

• Members

Hey guys,

My blues/motown/soul band just recorded a demo for the purpose of getting gigs around town, etc... When we started things off our bass player told us that his brother had a studio that he could record us. long story short, the studio was actually a basement, the gear was less than great and the guy didn't know how to use any of his gear and after he recorded all of our songs he ended up asking me to do the mixing. I have NEVER done this before. I have a bit of college training in live sound, so I know some basics about EQs and compressors (which is why I got saddled with the job), but I have never worked with recordings!

So I'm looking for some insight on my rough mixes. Because it is a demo for getting gigs, we are trying to have a fairly "live" feel to things and the tracks were all single takes, so keep in mind that they aren't flawless performances.

All of our songs are at www.soulmedix.com. There are 5 songs (we'll probably only stick 3 on this discs we hand out). They automatically play/stream on the main page, but you can click "download" to download them in a higher quality Mp3 version.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

• Members

ok,

I went through and critiqued these the same way i critique my own mixes, sat down and simply jotted down some notes, I hope they make sense. good work over all theres a couple things in each tune i would work on but its a solid demo. good luck!

SSD, im not too hip to the tamborine sound, i feel like there needs to be a cut in the upper mids to smooth it out, maybe add a little around 5-800 hz, guit solo coulda been a lil louder. but good work

Dont touch me, vocals sound pretty, could use some more kick in the beginning, i feel like the guitar solo on this one is a little loud, overall another good one

Rte 66, the guitar could use some more high end, but theyre very crunchy, i think the bass could go down/guitar could go up, im not too huge on the vocal reverb its a little too much for my taste, the backing vocal seems a little too loud, this one i feel opens the weakest,but finishes strongly

P&J, No guitar in the right?, more vocal, maybe some reverb on the snare; i feel like there is a touch too much bass, but good all around

sweet home, i feel like the vocal is a little too loud, but the back up is in a great place, i feel like the singer isnt all in it(emotion) like the rest of the tunes. i think its akward going from the rhythm guitar hard right to the lead in the center. good tracks all around

• Moderators

I think the kick could use some fast attack compression then turn it up. Scoop at 350. The snare could use some slow attack compression, turn it down a tad and maybe add highs. Bass sounds great. The lead vox could use some fast attack compression and an Ambience reverb setting. Ditch the tambourine.

Just some quick reactions. Band sounds great.

• Members

The mixes sound great. I downloaded 2 of them: Signed, Sealed, Delivered; and Don't Touch Me. Both were very balanced and kind of a '50's/blues vibe. The only thing that bugged me at all was that I thought the tambo was a tad loud, but this is your mix, not mine. Nice work. Listening on NS-10+sub.

• Members

The performance was really good.

I listened to Signed Sealed Delivered. Sounded really good. The tamborine was too loud. I couldn't hear the high hat.

I'd bring up the high hat, pan it and pan the tamborine to the other side. Lower the volume to match the high hat.

Overall a good job.

Archived