PTLE question.

• Members

Is there a way to reset the device driver without having to restart pro tools? See the mbox 2 is a piece of {censored} on the leopard os (not surprised it's not supported yet :thu:) and constantly glitches out. In cubase there is a simple way to reset the sound driver (congratulations Stienberg you have 0wn3d digi in this one idea) without having to restart the program.

I must mention this as well: There are alot of people over in the PT forums that have been running leopard great. My guess is they are using firewire devices. The mbox 2 is not very good on leopard yet. So if your thinking of going leopard with pro tools LE, don't. Wait for digi to create a better driver for the mbox first.

With an MBox on a Mac? Not that I'm aware of. You might try unplugging / replugging the USB cable... Pro Tools will usually give you a "can't find hardware" message if the hardware goes offline, along with the option of quitting or saving your session. If you plug the hardware back in while the dialog box is on the screen, then hit "cancel", the software usually "re-acquires" the hardware and you can continue working without relaunching the software. I'm not sure if the driver is re-initiated in this process or not though.

I would also recommend not relying on PT 7.4 (or earlier) to run reliably on Leopard. While some folks may have been able to get it to work, I personally would rather wait until they release an official update.

• Members

I would also recommend not relying on PT 7.4 (or earlier) to run reliably on Leopard. While some folks may have been able to get it to work, I personally would rather wait until they release an official update.

Yeah this is what I am leaning against. I have a full version of tiger (not the one from my powerbook) but I get a kernel panic when I try to install so I think I need to go purchase a small sata drive and put that in and install tiger on that.

All of us who are running HD on a PC are in a similar position; we can't currently run the latest OS (Vista) with our PT systems... not that I'm eager to adopt Vista yet. XP's been reliable and stable, and MS doesn't have a perfect track record (no pun intended) insofar as their various OS versions over the years. Win 3.1 was kinda dodgey, but Win 98 / SE was good. ME was a joke. 2000 was okay, but never really took off as a consumer OS, and so audio industry support was marginal. Despite what the unsuspecting might assume from its name, Media Center is the last thing you should get if you're creating media... etc. etc.

so I think I need to go purchase a small sata drive and put that in and install tiger on that

While there are some cool things in Vista that definitely interest me (more RAM, 64 bit computing, etc.), system stability and lack of downtime are more important to me right now. Because of that, if I were to give Vista a whirl, I'd definitely use a different HDD for the install; keeping my current system safe on the current drive "just in case".

Archived