Do you get pissed when you see very young or unskilled players with great gear?

RoboCop00

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't hate them or feel jealous.

I think it's kinda funny sometimes, though.

I know this band that has a 2nd guitarist who plays through a tripleRecto w/LesPaul all gold hardware...and he sounds like {censored}. I introduced myself and started "talking shop" and he admitted he "sucked." What could you say to that???

true: general audience doesn't even notice. Spend your money any way you want; I just thought he could play a little combo and an LP copy and could have saved alot of money.

• Members

Originally posted by markas214

I didn't know any kids like that. 30 years ago parents did not indulge their kids the way they do now.

this is the truth. i'll often think 'why didn't i have that? we could've afforded it' but back then you didn't get stuff just by asking for it, there had to be a reason - your birthday, xmas or something. they didn't just buy you stuff

• Members

I've been playing for 29 years. A good amount of that time was on bass and I had some nice bass gear at one time when I was younger and sucked -- having the good gear helped me I think. I knew what good tone was at young age (for bass) and didn't have to worry about always wishing I had better equipment. I just played and played I did until I didn't suck. And my Dad bought me my Fender P Bass Special when I was 16 or 17 which was wild because he hated me playing in a band, absolutely hated it. I still have it to this day and it will be passed on to my kid at some point. He still doesn't know how much joy that has given me through my life. 40 years old now and I love playing guitar as much now as I ever have.

Now that I'm an old guy, I have finally gotten some excellent guitar gear (I switch from bass to guitar in the late 90s), but before that I was not really jealous at all. Many of the kids in bands I've done shows with and couldn't play that well either had it bought by their parents (which is cool in my book, I'd buy my kid some good stuff if they were really into it), or they live like homeless people and spend every cent they make on great gear. I say good for anybody will great gear!

• Members

Originally posted by RoboCop00

I tend not to have a jealous streak, so it doesn't bother me too much, but I do cringe when I see a 13 year old murdering a LP that his Daddy bought him trying to play Green Day or something.

And, believe it or not, I have seen it.

Doesnt bother me at all.

• Members

Originally posted by Utero

+1

I have a 58r and I can't play very well SO WHAT I would rather learn on a nicer guitar than a POS. There is no law saying you can't buy a nice guitar until you deserve it.
I hate people who tell me I don't deserve a gibson.
Point is, wether you are a begginer or an experienced player, as long as you enjoy playing guitar OR EVEN IF YOU DON'T buy what the {censored} you want if money goes to waste when someone who just quits IT'S THERE PROBLEM.

Do people actually say that to you?

That seems so incredibly rude and uncalled for.

• Members

I don't resent someone if they have nice gear and are a bad player if they enjoy playing. A kid I went to high school with had a Mesa Mark IV combo and a Gibson LP Elegant. But he actually would play, and got the point where he could make his way through some classic rock songs fairly well. He was never in a band; he just liked to play guitar as a hobby, and he enjoyed his gear so I didn't really care.

On the other hand, another former classmate of mine decided he wanted to play electric guitar, asked me if the Gibson Peter Frampton Les Paul was nice, bought one ($3000!), took lessons for about a month, and quit. Now THAT'S a waste, and that pissed me off. But I went to prep school, and this is all too typical - kids wrecking their BMWs and then getting Range Rovers to replace them.

I'm pretty lucky myself to be 19 and own a Mesa Recto, Peavey Classic, G&L, Ibanez Prestive, and a Taylor Big Baby. But I play all the time, paid for much of that on my own, and played in a fairly serious band where I absolutely needed the big Mesa. I don't rip like many guys on these forums but common people are usually impressed when I play.

• Members

Nah, I don't get pissed. I mean, if they're mistreating the gear, that's one thing, but what's the point of getting pissed about it? It doesn't change what I have.

Plus, if my gear sounds better at its price point than theirs, +1 for me.

• Members

Originally posted by RG450

Nah, I don't get pissed. I mean, if they're mistreating the gear, that's one thing, but what's the point of getting pissed about it? It doesn't change what I have.

Plus, if my gear sounds better at its price point than theirs, +1 for me.

Good point.

If they respect their gear, that means a great deal.

After all, who among US here is using his/her instrument to 100% of the guitar's capability and potential?

Think of the common expression, "After seeing _____ play, I wanted to go home and just get rid of all my guitars."

And , if the young'n is earnest, having a better instrument will encourage practice and reward with tone, a winning combination. Removing the suckage element is a big deal. It also removes an excuse for poor playing...another incentive.

It's when the young person does not appreciate or care for their fine instrument that I get riled...and more at the parents or whoever provided the guitar than the player. Over the top materialism coupled with a sense of entitlement is a disease of our age among the "haves". (Among the have-nots, all this is meaningless and profane.)

• Members

Depends on who payed for it. If the kid saved his own money then thumb up. If he whined until his parents bought it, then that's kinda lame. But not lame as in "you suck i hate you you don't deserve that" but lame as in "lucky bastard".

• Members

Originally posted by Sparkytfl

Depends on who payed for it. If the kid saved his own money then thumb up. If he whined until his parents bought it, then that's kinda lame. But not lame as in "you suck i hate you you don't deserve that" but lame as in "lucky bastard".

But if he/she showed raw ability, a strong desire to learn, and a commitment to really practice, then it may not be out of line to help the kid out in buying a better, more expensive guitar than a paper route or baby-sitting might allow. Maybe this is an idealized scenario...:(

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

But if he/she showed raw ability, a strong desire to learn, and a commitment to really practice, then it may not be out of line to help the kid out in buying a better, more expensive guitar than a paper route or baby-sitting might allow. Maybe this is an idealized scenario...
:(

Unfortunately, that is a bit idealized...in many of these cases the kids don't realize the worth of what they are given. It's when kids take their Gibsons for granted that they piss me off.

• Members

Originally posted by metallica_00

Unfortunately, that is a bit idealized...in many of these cases the kids don't realize the worth of what they are given. It's when kids take their Gibsons for granted that they piss me off.

I'd reserve my piss for those who GAVE the kids those guitars...the kids would never have come by them otherwise.

Archived