Battle of the bucker sized single coils

Blood

• Members

If anybody would be as kind to help me with my dilema. What are the pros and cons of the said pickups. If you have experience with them then please post said info here. It's hard for me to justify $200 for a pair of Gibson p94s when there are Dream 90s for significantly less. That said, I want nice pickups and am willing to pay for something that will satisfy my desires.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

just to add another option to your list. Bareknuckle make a 'bucker sized p90. the mississippi queen. They're very dear, but highly regarded.

I haven't tried them, I just figured you might as well know all your options.

:thu:

• Members

Though actually a dually, my vote is for the Lace Hemi. Not only is it dead silent (obviously being a dually and a Sensor), it has a fat P-90-esque tone too.

For actual SC operation; the Alumitone HB, though it may have a few compability problems with non-TranSensor pickups.

• Members

Originally posted by Blood

I wanna get the dream 90s, but for 40 bucks, the price seems really low. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Are they the same quality as say p94s

Don't take that for a fact. Of course price would reflect over all quality, though with some brands you pay plenty for the logotype. Agreeably $40 is about 2/3 or half that I'd expect for a pickup.

• Members

Originally posted by solitaire

Don't take that for a fact. Of course price would reflect over all quality, though with some brands you pay plenty for the logotype. Agreeably $40 is about 2/3 or half that I'd expect for a pickup.

well can anyone really vouch for these pickups?

• Members

wow talk about a lack of help... You posted three choices and "other" and got back 7 different answers mostly different than you listed.

Based on what I have heard around here I will say the Dream 90 is your choice for saving money. I am considering one for an HSS strat.

The Vintage Vibes (not on your list) always get praise around here...seriously I have never heard one negative thing. They cost more, but still a bit less than SD's. My P-90 V.V.'s are the shiznit.

• Members
Originally posted by rivshark86

I think I am about to get a set of Lindy Fralins to put in my SG

I had the old Lindys which were pretty good. I'm not as impressed with the newer ones. I have a set of GFS 90's. Quality is fine but they aren't the fat traditional P90 tone. vNothing wrong with the Kent Armstrongs either.

• Members

Originally posted by axegrinder

wow talk about a lack of help... You posted three choices and "other" and got back 7 different answers mostly different than you listed.

sorry, I don't know a whole lot of different types of these pickups. Hence why I am here.

• Members

I just had a 3 hour set last night and I used a les paul with a dream 90 for all but a couple songs I use a strat on. Was able to just get the killer screaming lead sound as well as great crunch. Worth trying for sure. As far as people comparing the old gibson p90s to anything modern- forgetaboutit. But i think the low tech make of the dream 90s picks up the raw vibe of the originals. They just have to be adjusted more exactly than some of the higher end pups out there.

Archived