Les Paul Models difference (I'm lost....)

HighVolter29

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

no, but you could spend 12 dollars on epoxy and just fix it...

also, dontk know if it has been mentioned yet, but the studio has a slightly slimmer body than most of its LP brothers.

Besides it being a bit lighter, I cant tell the difference when Im actually weaing one and playing though.

theres not more to headstock repair than that?

i am not very good with wood, but i have seen the way it splinters i thought it might be more involved than just gluing it back together

• Members

Originally posted by RIC N BACKER

theres not more to headstock repair than that?

i am not very good with wood, but i have seen the way it splinters i thought it might be more involved than just gluing it back together

not if its a clean break.

Besides, in most cases they dont actually completely break off. Its usually more like a fracture.

If you for some reason lost LARGE chunks of wood in the process its not hard to just cut another piece of wood and glue it in its place. Usually thats not the case though.

And if you dont feel like you have the skills to pull it off, just take it to a tech.

• Members
Originally posted by stangme01

why do gibsons have headstalks break off all the time to the point where it would be a concern?
:confused:
Why is it even a deciding factor? lol

well, anything with an angled headstock can break like that.

Even if its maple or whatever

Its just something Fender fanboys like to throw at Gibson fanboys.

easy solution is: DONT BREAK YOUR GUITAR!

yeah, accidents happen, but in most cases they can be avoided by playing it smart and safe.

• Members

also, dontk know if it has been mentioned yet, but the studio has a slightly slimmer body than most of its LP brothers.

Besides it being a bit lighter, I cant tell the difference when Im actually weaing one and playing though.

I'm completly aware of the difference in pickups. My question was why is the sound of the 2 guitares completly different when they are unplugged. The slimmer body might explain it.

Oh and about the Epiphone thing... Yeah, you might be right... But my father wants me to buy a Gibson because it's an investment... If it was of me, I'd get a Epiphone Elitist. But their basicly the priced like studios... It's juste the unplugged sound diffenrence that bugs me... because the Classic really sounded more rich, well it was the kind of sound that I'm looking for.

• Members

I love my Gibson LP Standard, but it was a present. If it was me, I'd buy an Elitist before a Gibby Studio. Part of the LP thing is that they're really pretty guitars, and Studios are butt ugly IMHO. And as far as investments go, I think the Epi Elitist will continue to go up in price like Gibsons will, or get discontinued totally. Either way, it's price will go way up. I have a 1978 Ibanez Artist 2630 that was made in Japan like the Elitists, and originally sold for $450. They now go on ebay from anywhere between $1100 to $2000. I bought it from someone who didn't know what they had for $750. Japanese guitars have always been as good as American guitars, besides poly finish, which is becoming less of an issue to me lately. Go Elitist or Classic.

• Members

yeah, some people wanna think otherwise. But if you take a propper look into the Gibson FACTORY, you'll see just a ton of wood sitting in piles, with no form of distinction at all.

Which factory? There are several..... Two in Nashville, and one in Memphis, to start with. Then there are the international facilities.

• Members

Originally posted by kdp86

I love my Gibson LP Standard, but it was a present. If it was me, I'd buy an Elitist before a Gibby Studio. Part of the LP thing is that they're really pretty guitars, and Studios are butt ugly IMHO. And as far as investments go, I think the Epi Elitist will continue to go up in price like Gibsons will, or get discontinued totally. Either way, it's price will go way up. I have a 1978 Ibanez Artist 2630 that was made in Japan like the Elitists, and originally sold for $450. They now go on ebay from anywhere between $1100 to $2000. I bought it from someone who didn't know what they had for $750. Japanese guitars have always been as good as American guitars, besides poly finish, which is becoming less of an issue to me lately. Go Elitist or Classic.

+1

• Members

Originally posted by HighVolter29

I'm completly aware of the difference in pickups. My question was why is the sound of the 2 guitares completly different when they are
unplugged
. The slimmer body might explain it.

Oh and about the Epiphone thing... Yeah, you might be right... But my father wants me to buy a Gibson because it's an investment... If it was of me, I'd get a Epiphone Elitist. But their basicly the priced like studios... It's juste the unplugged sound diffenrence that bugs me... because the Classic really sounded more rich, well it was the kind of sound that I'm looking for.

well un plugged theres going to be a difference between any guitar PERIOD. Even with custom shop stuff. Ive played some that were practicaly lifeless sounding unplugged, and others that were amazing.

Thats honestly not a very good way to judge an ELECTRIC guitar.

SG's and similar designs of guitars to my ears sound incredibly dead to me not plugged in, yet can sound amazing through an amp.

In other words dont get mad at a screwdriver for not being a wrench.

Also, I know lots of folks dont agree with me, but its my honest opinion that buying a guitar for the sake of investment is a horrible idea. Granted, if youre actually playing the thing its a little easier to argue. However, standard production Gibsons arent really going to be some big collectors item the way the original ones were. They do hold their value very well compared to a lot of other brands, and eventually will increase in price just for the fact of it being an old american guitar. But ultimately what are you? A musician or a businessman? If the latter, then you can invest your money in much better places than a guitar (unless youve got money to throw down on some really choice vintage gear, which still isnt horribly stable)

and if you like the Elitist, or Classic, or Epiphone Special Jr with a bolt on neck, or whatever!!!!! Buy it!

Its YOURE guitar. Its features and specs no matter how fancy or whatever are worthless if its not what YOU want. Thats something no level of "prestige" can give you, unless youre just some poser having a mid life crisis.

• Members
Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

Which factory? There are several..... Two in Nashville, and one in Memphis, to start with. Then there are the international facilities.

considering we are talking about standard Gibson USA production which one do YOU think Im talking about? :rolleyes:

• Members

personally i dont know why anyone these days would by any new GMI product. there are too many other great substitutes for way less money. Ive owned no less than 5 Gibsons and even though they werent bad products they werent great for the price.they had the same inherant ptoblems of the average electric guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by dimmypage

personally i dont know why anyone these days would by any new GMI product. there are too many other great substitutes for way less money. Ive owned no less than 5 Gibsons and even though they werent bad products they werent great for the price.they had the same inherant ptoblems of the average electric guitar.

Maybe some people like them.

• Members

Also, I know lots of folks dont agree with me, but its my honest opinion that buying a guitar for the sake of investment is a horrible idea. Granted, if youre actually playing the thing its a little easier to argue. However, standard production Gibsons arent really going to be some big collectors item the way the original ones were. They do hold their value very well compared to a lot of other brands, and eventually will increase in price just for the fact of it being an old american guitar. But ultimately what are you? A musician or a businessman? If the latter, then you can invest your money in much better places than a guitar (unless youve got money to throw down on some really choice vintage gear, which still isnt horribly stable)

This is the thing so many people just don't get. Standard production stuff has an insanely higher output than production models of 50-60 years ago. Gibson turns out hundreds of guitars a day.

They are a good investment in the sense that their value holds up pretty well over time but if someone thinks that they're going to be able to rmake obscene money off of their 2996 Gibson in 50 years, well they're monumentally kidding themselves.

• Members

Originally posted by HighVolter29

I went out to try different Les Paul yesterday. I tried a Les Paul Special, a Les Paul Studio and a Les Paul Classic.

I really didn't liked how the p90 sounded so my question isn't really about this model.

It's more about the differences between the Les Paul Studio and Classic. I don't really understant, first of all, why is there a 600$CDN gap between those 2 guitars. They both have maple top... the only notable difference to me is the binding and the ceramic PUs... but that doesn't justify a 600$CDN difference. Is it just a question of demand and supply... Why is the Les Paul Classic cheaper than the standard ?! I don't understand all the gibson pricing...

Now I said that there weren't much difference between the Studio and the Classic and in this optic, I was going to buy the Studio, since I don't want use too much money on ta guitar... But the Classic and the Studio sound SOOOO MUCH different, even unplugged !!! I don't understand this... I know the tone difference commes from mostly the ceramic pickups, which I like in disto but hate in clean. But why is the sound so different unplugged ?

Thanks

Out of curiosity, where did you look at them and how much were you quoted?

• Members

Originally posted by jonny toetags

Out of curiosity, where did you look at them and how much were you quoted?

The $600 gap doesnt seem right. Steves can get you a studio for $1245, but they price the classic at $1999+ (canadian).

Archived