What is "Tele" tone to you?

NoirAbattoir

• Members
Originally posted by guitarlady

The definitive Tele tone, Albert Collins, known as the Ice Man and "Master of the Telecaster" by his fans, on his album Ice Pickin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48g52ofNew&search=albert%20collins

He has his own signature Telecaster too:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0108800821

Yeah, dude wasn't too shabby...;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tele tone?? hmmm well Steve Cropper big time "Green Onions" old tele thru a Fender lil Harvard tube amp! Jimmy Page in Zep of course too and damn near anything Keith Richards plays on A tele sounds like a great Tele!

• Members
Originally posted by boyfarrell

Wow ... Buchanan's got a very nice feel...

Thanks for that.

Dan,

We can talk around Roy Buchanan for hours, but a 6 minute clip gets the point across directly.

It's hard to believe Roy's been gone almost 18 years. :(

• Members

iceman Albert collins, Roy buchanan, brad paisley, johnny hiland, danny gatton, keef, robben ford, yardbirds era jeff beck

also check out that david gilmour dvd where he plays that esquire on that elvis tune Don't....truelly teletwangtastic:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by waitrose

my point, exactly, about "fingers"

... of cuorse is about the fingers but still, if you have a chance to watch "Robben Ford Band - Live At The New Morning Paris", you will know what I mean.

At that show, he playes his tele and his signature axe, you will hear the difference.

Done using Toneport on a Gearbox tone called Tele' Master.

I know it's right cause Danny Gatton gave it to me hisself!!

It's on my Nashville tele bridge pickup and it's where the rubber meets the road. From my perspective it's a fat in your face squawk that rawks, not an ice pick. If you don't like this tone then a tele ain't the one for you!!

short tele bridge clip

• Members

Does anybody know what gear Jimmy Page used in that youtube video? I know a Tele, but I couldn't make out the amp (guessing a Marshall of some sorts), but curious about the year of Tele/pickups, and amp.

I believe Jimmy used the same Tele on all of the Yardbirds stuff, and the tone he gets is simply jawdropping.

The only way I would get a Tele is if I could get that tone...

• Members

Originally posted by BandFan

Does anybody know what gear Jimmy Page used in that youtube video? I know a Tele, but I couldn't make out the amp (guessing a Marshall of some sorts), but curious about the year of Tele/pickups, and amp.

I believe Jimmy used the same Tele on all of the Yardbirds stuff, and the tone he gets is simply jawdropping.

The only way I would get a Tele is if I could get
that
tone...

This video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9CpcoN-og

Although we only get a glimspe in the first seconds of the vid ande again at 7:40 or so, those heads sure look like Marshalls for Page and Jones.

Anyway, as for the Tele, Fender Europe said that it was a '58 that Jeff Beck gave to Page in June '65. (Seems early for a rosewood board...) So, a stock ash Tele with vintage pups and a rosewood f'bd might get you close.

http://fender.demonweb.co.uk/fenderfiles/TenTerrificTelecasterGuitars.asp

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Which video?

Anyway, as for the Tele, Fender Europe said that it was a '58 that Jeff Beck gave to Page in June '65. (Seems early for a rosewood board...) So, a stock ash Tele with vintage pups and a rosewood f'bd might get you close.

It was the How Many More Times video posted earlier in this thread.

Thanks for the info!

Archived