For you DIYers

Beckman

• Members

I am not sure if anyone has posted this or not. But, I thought it was hilarious and cool at the same time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIY-Guitar-Carver-easily-mass-produces-guitar-parts_W0QQitemZ7419844191QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I checked the link in the preview before posting, so it should work. I know there are rules to posting ebay links. But, when the only way I could get it to work was to post the whole link.

• Members
Originally posted by Beckman

Yeah. AJ would probably laugh.

One of the reasons I haven't tried to build my own yet is that making the neck joint, and necks for that matter, scares me.

Yup, they usually say that the neck is the most difficult. I would LOVE to give it a try though but don't have the room for it :(

• Members

You would still have a lot of work to do on it, but for getting the rough cutting done, something like would work. I used to teach wood shop and we set a few smaller jigs like for making quick, nearly exact copies of small wood pieces. It is the same principle as a key copier at the hardware store.

• Members

I'm not laughing! Seriouly, thats is just a home made design of a copy rig that is sold as a commercially made machine.

They were a lot more common in wood working factories before the age of CNC. Used for making such items as cabriole legs ( the fancy carved table legs) and other oddly shaped items.

I actually built one myself a few years back, using a 1 1/2 horsepower router to carve wooden propellers for my large RC model planes. The props sell for about $100 and I could make my own in about 1/2 hour, with $5 worth of wood. I would juts copy one that I purchased.

It could be used for bodies but it would be slow. Necks, well, I have a dream design for a neck duplicator in my head. However, it would consist of not a router but a drum sander with a coarse sandpaper sleeve, and there would be a roller the same diameter as the sleeve that would run back and forth along the neck master pattern. Both the pattern and the blank would be able to spin (like on a lathe) and as they slowly spun - in unison by means of a chain drive, the roller would move back and forth on a track riding on the master, while the sanding drum would shape the blank.

So, I gave my idea away... dont all go out and build one now will you?? ;):D

In woodworking, there are many machines you can custom build to make life easier and faster. Sometimes I wonder why the small custom builders dont take some woodworking school classes (college or university level) to get some ideas on how to speed up their process. Faster made guitars mean cheaper costs mean more potential buyers. You dont have to lessen your quality just by investing in some cool machinery (whether bought or home made) but it can certainly speed things up.

If I were ever going to get into guitar making for a living (NOT going to happen... just saying "IF") I have many ideas for machines and stuff that could be made (then again I have a machine shop and welding equipment too, that I use to repair and upkeep my present machinery) to help make guitars a whole lot quicker.

What I always say, woodworking is woodworking, whether you are making tables and chairs, kitchen cabinets, staircases & railings or guitars... if you want to make good $$ doing it you need to maximise your time.

Woodworking lesson over for today! :) Now its time to get back to work for me!

AJC

• Members

can i just say, AJC, i love your build thread you did with that boy you know....:thu: it made me wana give it a try, at least with a body, but id buy the neck cos i dont fancy doing that on my first try ;) . i found a load of teak in my (rather small and ill-equiped) workshop but i think damp and mould has got to alot of it. il see what i can salvage but how is teak for guitars?

• Members

Originally posted by ajcoholic

Necks, well, I have a dream design for a neck duplicator in my head. However, it would consist of not a router but a drum sander with a coarse sandpaper sleeve, and there would be a roller the same diameter as the sleeve that would run back and forth along the neck master pattern. Both the pattern and the blank would be able to spin (like on a lathe) and as they slowly spun - in unison by means of a chain drive, the roller would move back and forth on a track riding on the master, while the sanding drum would shape the blank.

AJC

Larivee has a machine that's kind of like that. It's a duplicating lathe, but can do multiple necks at once. It's has cutters and sanders on it, and for all I know it's not in use anymore. I believe they've since gone to CNC, but can't be sure.

Anybody going into guitarmaking for a living has to be insane not to use CNC and Lasercutting/engraving in their ops. Unless, of course, you employ lots of Chinese people.

As for making necks by hand, it's actually quite simple. Enjoyable, in fact. I still don't know why non-builders think it's one the daunting tasks.

• Members
Originally posted by OrvilleGibson

...Anybody going into guitarmaking for a living has to be insane not to use CNC and Lasercutting/engraving in their ops. Unless, of course, you employ lots of Chinese people.

As for making necks by hand, it's actually quite simple. Enjoyable, in fact. I still don't know why non-builders think it's one the daunting tasks.

Well, CNC stuff (good industrial stuff not hobbiest level) is still quite expensive, and for some things no better. IF you plan to mass produce hundreds or thousands then sure. But I mean the guys trying to make 20 to 50 guitars a year. Sometimes "old" technology is much cheaper, easier to set up and maintain yet every bit as "good" as CNC. Same reason some furniture places (most actually) still use pin routers, and other ancient equipment! :)

And I totally agree with you on the neck making... if you just try it, its really not "that" hard. I had a much harder time learning to carve wildfowl decoys realsitically than I did learning to carve guitar necks. But look at how many guys carve ducks? (I know a lot more than guys making guitars).

AJC

Archived