G400 Vintage vs G400. Diff?

Uze Soap

• Members

Alrighty. The Epiphone G400 Vintage SG costs $300 and appears to have chrome tuners.

The Epiphone G400 SG costs $400 and has those other tuners.

The specs for the vintage are:

* Pickups: 57m humbucker, Hot-B humbucker

* Hardware: Chrome

* Scale: 24.75"

* Nut Width: 1.68"

* Neck: Set

* Neck Material: 1-piece mahogany

* Fingerboard: Rosewood

* Inlay: Trapezoid

* Body material: Mahogany

and the specs for the other one are:

* Pickups: 2 Humbuckers

* Neck Joint: Set

* Neck Material: Mahogany

* Body Material: Mahogany

What the {censored} is the difference that makes the vintage $100 less?

I don't get it. Somebody please enlighten me, if you can.

• Members

Originally posted by Uze Soap

Alrighty. The
costs $300 and appears to have chrome tuners.

The
costs $400 and has those other tuners.

The big difference seems to be the finish.

Having never A/B'd them myself, I can't comment much further.

Are the 57m and hot-B pups cheaper ceramic jobs?

$50 difference on finish and $50 on pickups would do it.

• Members

THe ones I've seen and played where the same including grover tuners with only diff being finish and pups. The std G400 has the better sounding pups imo. Diff finish being main thingthat could give price diff. They used to be same price. Price drop for the vintage version then is prob more due to discontinued or to be somehow changed for new season of guitars. Epiphone does sometimes change things on a given model faster then one can keep up with. For example their thunderbird basses where done in 4 diff versions (pups & woods) in a single year once. It was crazy. Mf price drop on vintage G400 is fairly recent. Smells closeout. Vintage G400 is nice, needs pup replacment more then the std G400 (poly see thru blackcherry and poly black) imo.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

The natural mahogany vintage is a nice lookin' guitar.

Yes, it is. I'm more hung up on the red, though. I know it's cliche, but who cares.

I'd only be longing for that sexy red finish if I got the natural. Although I played a natural finish SG at GC once and thoroughly enjoyed it's beauty. It's a toss up.

• Members

Well, it seems that I should go for the vintage, eh? They're both nice finishes, that doesn't really matter. And I'm most likely going to replace the pups eventually, anyway.

THANKS NIGGAS!!

If you have a chance to play them side by side through the same amp, it might better inform your decision.

• Members

If you have a chance to play them side by side through the same amp, it might better inform your decision.

If I could do that I wouldn't be posting this thread.

Maybe I'll wait a little while and make a trip down to GC.

• Members

:(

Oh, so our knowledge and opinions here are worth so little?

Aww, you gonna cry? Haha, no I totally appreciate your help. Believe me, I'd be lost without this info.

What I meant was I was looking for any experience with these guitars because I haven't played them and didn't feel like I had enough information. I didn't know how good the tuners were, or what the guitars felt like and played like. If I could play them, I wouldn't have to ask.

But I appreciate your help, really. You guys have helped me, definitely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Alrighty. The
costs $300 and appears to have chrome tuners.

The
costs $400 and has those other tuners.

The specs for the vintage are:

* Pickups: 57m humbucker, Hot-B humbucker

* Neck: Set

* Neck Material: 1-piece mahogany

* Inlay: Trapezoid

* Body material: Mahogany

and the specs for the other one are:

* Pickups: 2 Humbuckers

* Neck Joint: Set

* Neck Material: Mahogany

* Body Material: Mahogany

I have a faded cherry and I think the neck feels thick. My bro bought a faded Elitist SG (out of production) and it has a slim taper neck. Point is, if you dislike rounder necks, you might think twice about a g400. Pick ups aren't an issue because I replace the bridge PU anyway. I'm not sure what to get for the g400 though. Anyone?

• Members

Yes, it is. I'm more hung up on the red, though. I know it's cliche, but who cares.

I'd only be longing for that sexy red finish if I got the natural. Although I played a natural finish SG at GC once and thoroughly enjoyed it's beauty. It's a toss up.

The guitarists in my band (both have faded sgs in brown and cherry)

100_1006.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Jimmy310

The guitarists in my band (both have faded sgs in brown and cherry)

100_1006.jpg

cheap guitar and killer amp :thu:

the true set up of somebody who really knows where good tone comes from and doesent wanna blow a lot of cash.

• Members

I've had the pleasure of playing both and here are the major differences between the Standard and the Faded:

Finish (obviously) - the finish on the Vintage is a flat finish not glossy poly (this includes the neck)

Pickups - The G400V actually has the alnico classic pickups (57N and 57HB) based on the Gibson 57 Classic pups, while the standard has the standard epi alnico HBs (closer to the 490 and 498). For me I prefered the classics to the standard...

Binding - the neck on the vintage model is bound, the neck on the standard is not.

The two guitars actually used to cost the same $449, the trade off being better components on the vintage model (better pups and a bound fretboard) for a "cheaper" finish. The faded appears to be discountinued (not on epi's site anymore) which might explain the price difference. I played both and ultimately purchased the G400V (Vintage) as it was the vastly superior guitar. I was a little sad to sell it (one problem with the G400 is that it creates an incurable GAS for the real thing) and at $299 I might have to pick one up again.

Anyway I hope this helps,

• Members

Thats one big mama! :eek:

The above poster is right. The Vintage is bound neck (a huge plus for me) and used to cost the same. I also believe its discontinued and a STEAL at $299. If I didn't already own a Faded SG Elitist I'd probably buy one! :thu:

• Members

Question for y'all:

I think it was the last MF catalog had a G400 of some sort in the first few pages with a maestro vibrato. It had a picture and a price, but no other info, and it wasn't featured anywhere later in the catalog. It was black w/gold hardware.

It's not on the MF or Epi websites that I can find. Anyone have any other info? Not a fan of the color scheme, but otherwise seems sweet.

• Members

I saw that SG, too, I don't know why it isn't on MF. Retarded.

Well, I ended up deciding on the Ibanez ARC300. It suits my style better, and I really did want the slim taper neck if I was gonna get an SG. So, I figure I can wait on the SG and get a Gibson when I can afford it.

• Members

Originally posted by Jimmy310

Heres a pic of my new sg.... i believe its a g-400 with a standard pickguard. I got it at GC for 350 out the door.

eea4a668.jpg

Are the large pick guards on all the new G-400s ? Or is that a replacement pick guard ?

• Members

Originally posted by sandfly

Are the large pick guards on all the new G-400s ? Or is that a replacement pick guard ?

No, they did that at the factory. I guess they ran out of the '62/61 style pickguard.I dont think epiphone even makes SGs with a standard pickguard like that......i just got lucky i guess. Who knows. its not on the website or at any of the stores. Does someone have a answer?

Archived